“Classic Fine Dining with Modern Personality”
Review of Bianca - CLOSED

Bianca
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: The Elegant Pantry
Description: While the burgeoning restaurant scene in St. John's has witnessed epic change during the past two decades, the one constant of culinary perfection is Bianca's on Water Street. The top notch kitchen amazes every lunch and evening with tantalizing menu items and daily features pulled from the chef's… penchant for turning fresh local ingredients to plated master pieces. The food style is best summed up by owner Bianca Tzanov as, "regional avant-garde style that has Mediterranean roots". Pair the kitchen magic with one of the most celebrated wine cellars in Eastern Canada (Perennially recognized by Wine Spectator), and you'll soon understand why Bianca's has become as iconic as icebergs and whales to the fabric of Newfoundland dining. Whether a visitor or local, all agree, Bianca's is a destination not to be missed.
Reviewed July 9, 2014

On my last visit to St.John's I stopped by an old (since 1993) favorite restaurant and I was pleasantly surprised that the same exceptional service was offered and the food was tasty as ever. I was greeted and well looked after by the lovely host, Peter. The  menu was updated with modern fare such as organic green salad to complement classics such as ceasar salad and well stocked with local favorites such a halibut as well as more carnivorous choices such as rack of lamb all for very reasonable prices.

Although I was dining alone and has not been there for years I was welcomed and waited on like I was a regular patron. I initially came in for lunch and had a hard time choosing from the fresh salads, soups and fresh seafood. I ended up choosing one of each and had the their fresh organic greens salad, the asparagus creme soup de jour and best crab cakes I have ever tasted. Crunchy outer, softer and tender center with sweet bell pepper and crab filing. My mouth is watering at the thought!

I just had to return for the evening menu a few days later and had one of my old favorites. Spicy tomato and gin soup as an appetizer followed by the rack of lamb with mashed potatoes. The presentation of the the food is on par with any fine dining restaurant and I felt a little guilty devouring the artfully arranged rack of lamb tower. The meat was cooked medium rare just as I asked, tender pink on the inside with a crispy outer crust with just the right amount of 'jus' when cut. I had red wine with the meal, a recommendation from the server as I must admit I am not an expert, which complemented the rich meat very well.

My biggest regret was not leaving any space for their dessert menu which was stocked with rich chocolate treats as well as seasonal, fruity pastries. A reason to come back not that I need another one.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

Warm atmosphere and servers were attentive and friendly. The food was brought out promptly. We had the shrimp and crab Bisque, crab cake and PEI oysters for starters as well as the salmon and halibut Special- and all were fresh and tasty. Innovative way to let people choose their wine - instead of having a list, their wine bottles are displayed on a wall for you to go and look at. Would recommend.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

Bianca's started fine dining in NL. I visit there as often as I can and have yet to have a disappointing meal. Bianca, the owner is always attentive to every detail. Peter, a long time employee, makes you feel special. My visit today was no different than any other. Two friends and I stopped in for a quick lunch. I love fresh seafood and fresh cut fries. Peter told us the fresh seafood of the day was salmon and halibut. I opted for the salmon and my friend, the halibut. The other ordered scallops on fois gras. . Everything was cooked to perfection and delicious. Service was impeccable and knowing we were in a hurry, was served quickly. I highly recommend this special restaurant for either lunch or dinner. It is certainly a place to go in St. John's.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

My partner and I decided to come here for lunch a couple Fridays ago as we were visiting a relative in the hospital. We showed up around 12pm, and the second we entered, we should have turned around to leave.

The owner (Peter, I believe), came up to us and rudely said "Yes?" We asked for a table for two and he motioned to the (almost empty) restaurant and told us to seat ourselves. Fine, we did so, but we were a bit bristled by the abrupt treatment. A woman came over (I believe Peter's wife or partner?) and asked if we wanted anything to drink. We'd barely sat down so hadn't had a chance to look at the menu and said that, for now, water was fine. She rudely cut me off and said she'd be back with the water, and took the wine glasses from our table.

When she came back, I politely inquired what the special was, and she told me Peter would be back to tell me. My partner ordered a juice. About 5 minutes later Peter came back and told us the specials. I ordered the halibut special and my partner had the salmon. At no point had anyone offered to take our jackets (despite them diligently asking everyone who answered after us).

When our meal is delivered, they had given my partner the halibut as well as myself, and when we brought it to the attention of the staff, they took the plate away and told us it would just be a few minutes on the salmon. Meanwhile, my meal is getting cold, so my husband and I are forced to eat about 15 minutes apart. Both of the meals were bland and tasteless, and certainly not worth the cost. I make much tastier salmon at home with nothing more than lemon juice.

We decided to get dessert ($12 a piece for something you could have gotten at Pizza Delight for $4 - and it would taste better at Pizza Delight), and when we went to leave we were disappointed to find that not only did they not compensate us for the mixed up order, but they also charged for an extra soft drink that we didn't order.

For an $80 lunch (not including appetizers or drinks), I definitely expect better service, and at the very least, some modicum of respect. I've been here for business before and while the food has never blown me away (and I think most of it is just the 'hype' of the place), I've never had such miserable service. I'm incredibly upset over how we were treated like no-good kids and didn't even get a decent meal out of it.

1  Thank Michelle T
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I frequent this restaurant several times a year and am never disappointed. The meats are cooked to temperature perfectly and the presentation is outstanding. Highly recommended!!