“Great Service”
Review of The Gypsy Tea Room

The Gypsy Tea Room
Reserve with OpenTable
The Gypsy Tea Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 388 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary, Pub, Wine Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Located in the historic Murray Premises building in the heart of downtown St. John's The Gypsy Tea Room can accommodate large groups or the most intimate of diners. Our menu includes local favourites, European cuisine and unique daily features. We are open for lunch and dinner as well as a delicious brunch on Saturday and Sunday. Our private dining room is available for wine tastings and dinner or a meeting with colleagues. The Gypsy Tea Room also offers a state of the art conference room with Smart Board, data projector and video conference capability. Our courtyard restaurant can seat 120 people with an open air kitchen and bar. Sit back and relax in a resort setting...Let us take care of you.
Reviewed May 2, 2013

My meal was so so --chicken undercooked and not tasty. However I would go back because the service was excellent. They replaced my meal and did not charge me so I believe they are a great place.

GypsyTeaRoom, General Manager at The Gypsy Tea Room, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you for you post. Glad to hear that we were able to resolve the issue quickly.
Cheers

Reviewed April 30, 2013

On Saturday April 20th my husband and I had our first visit to The Gypsy Tea Room. Eating out for me is a challenge because of food allergies. Experimenting with food is not always wise with allergies.

We had the best server, her name was Mia, she spells it Maja, she was most helpful and accomodating. She gave us several recommendations on the food choices. I had the Herb Brien Breast Chicken, it was fantastic. I was so worried about not liking it and Mia put my reservations aside by assuring me that if I was not happy with the item I ordered she would get me something else. Needless to say it was not returned and I have told all my friends how fantastic it was.

We were staying in the hotel behind the restraunt, Murray Premises Hotel, so after our delighful experience with Mia, we wanted to return for breakfast. We did and once again things could not have been more perfect. I doubt if I could make the eggs as perfect as they did.

It goes without saying that our visit there was not nor will it be our last, the staff was fantastic and the food was outstanding.

1  Thank Frankie O
GypsyTeaRoom, General Manager at The Gypsy Tea Room, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Thank you for the review. Maja is an excellent server who always goes the extra mile for both the business and her customers.
Cheers!

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Hello everyone,
I am very happy to do a review on this location. I needed a place to bring 12-18 people (employees) for a semi-retirement dinner. With a limited budget and this location i was able to bring this together. This place did a great job. Let me provide you with the basic info i normally provided.
Location: water street, downtown St John's. very easy to locate
Interiro: we were in the basement, a wine room.. It was fantastic...
Food: we had a few choices for the entree, main dish and dessert. It was delicious.
Service: they did an unbelievable job with service. It was done very well.. A five star service
Price: 3 course meal, wine and few drinks... Very very reasonable.
I am recommending this place for dinner with friends, family and office. Please try it it is the place to go.
G

1  Thank Gerald M

Thank you for the good report. I am happy that we were able to accommodate your group and that everyone enjoyed the evening. Hope you book with us for your next event.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Our party of seven included our 3yr. Old grandchild. She asked for the smoked salmon ...we asked that she have sweet potato , steamed broccoli ...all requests denied .We then asked if she could have an order of fries that were being served upstairs at the bar ...again ..NO. The server was excellent and informed us this was the policy of the restaurant to not make any accommodation . Dismal customer service so far. We have established that you discriminate against children ...do you also not make changes for people with gluten / peanut allergies etc. We have travelled as a family to many restaurants and all , including Michelin and James Beard award winning restaurants have accommodated children and accordingly tweak the menu for those with dietary restrictions. We love to eat out as a family where our future generations learn to eat out , order from a menu etc. and enjoy time together. Apparently , you make policy based on what you want , not what your customers want. Our experience at your establishment was a lesson to our granddaughter on Where Not To Eat In Newfoundland.
You're arrogance is amazing ..If you were a top rated restaurant, your arrogance may be justified , however, your food is average at best and is certainly not fine dining .
Shame on your and your archaic policies.

2  Thank Joy B
GypsyTeaRoom, General Manager at The Gypsy Tea Room, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

It is always our policy to be as accommodating as possible to our guests, whether it is to a small child or someone with various sensitivities or allergies. Dietary restrictions/allergies are a serious topic and we always try to ensure that our guests’ needs are met. As for children, our kitchen will also do what we can to accommodate… we often have children in the restaurant. In this instance, you asked for the salmon, broccoli and sweet potato. We did serve both the salmon and broccoli as requested. The sweet potato fries were requested which are not on the dinner menu so the server offered the sweet potato ragout. To accuse us as being discriminatory when meeting two of your three requests and having a reasonable alternate to the third is perhaps a little harsh. We do however want every experience at our restaurant to be an enjoyable one and am sorry that this had a negative impact on your evening.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Nice decor but a little confusing, not sure what the theme was about!
Great location and an easy walk if you are saying downtown.
Service was ok but nothing special. I ordered the seafood Linguini and did not care it, the sauce seemed a little bland and the shrimp was not cooked. My guest had the chicken..... And also found it bland.

Not sure if I would go back! I know my business guest would not.

1  Thank mikeyNovaScotia
GypsyTeaRoom, General Manager at The Gypsy Tea Room, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Thank you for your review. It is our policy to do a quality check for each course to help maintain our standards. Could you let me know if this was done. Please contact me when you come to town again and I will ensure a excellent experience.
Grant Fowler