“Our 34th Anniversary!!!!!”

The Gypsy Tea Room
Ranked #8 of 386 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary, Pub, Wine Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Located in the historic Murray Premises building in the heart of downtown St. John's The Gypsy Tea Room can accommodate large groups or the most intimate of diners. Our menu includes local favourites, European cuisine and unique daily features. We are open for lunch and dinner as well as a delicious brunch on Saturday and Sunday. Our private dining room is available for wine tastings and dinner or a meeting with colleagues. The Gypsy Tea Room also offers a state of the art conference room with Smart Board, data projector and video conference capability. Our courtyard restaurant can seat 120 people with an open air kitchen and bar. Sit back and relax in a resort setting...Let us take care of you.
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We like to try different Restaurants out in St. John's, & this time for our 34th Wedding Anniversary We decided to try out the Gyspy Tea Room because of some of the reviews etc,,,, well we went there on Mar 30th 2013 at 6pm,,,we decided to go downstairs because you get away from the Bar & Road noise. We were seated downstairs, all ok, server was great. He unfortunately dropped the water jug which sent ice & glass all over the ceramic tile floor. Another cleaner came in with a yellow bucket & mopped up the floor, but the water in the bucket was dirty & smelled & was not very pleasing etc,,,,,Our meals, well my wife was a 10oz strip loin but had no flavor on a bed of mashed potatoes & 2 asparages, mine was the pork tenderloin (only got about 5 small portions) & again same as my wife's,,,,plates had no taste & no color. Wine that our server recommended was too fruity & did not go with our meals. For $126 tip inc: & when we left, I had to remove glass from my shoe outside, we were not impressed. After that we went to Green Selves for a drink & a pound of dry-spiced wings as we were still hungary. Sorry but this place in many ways looks on an upscale but all else needs improvement. Carl Wells should visit.

GypsyTeaRoom, General Manager at The Gypsy Tea Room, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

I am sorry that your special night did not go quite as planned. I was There when the water jug hit the floor. Shawn did not drop it ...the jug broke away from the handle as the was walking and he was fortunately not injured; we are talking to a supplier regarding the product.
I was aware of the smell of bleach after the custodian mopped the floor so we put a hot pan with garlic and rosemary in the adjacent room to help cover.
The Stoneleigh Sauvignon Blanc was suggested by the waiter prior to your ordering food which can make it difficult to pair. I am sorry it was not to your liking.
Our steaks are cut and weighed to 10 ounces served with sides of starch and vegetable. Our kitchen is happy to cut a larger portion when asked. I have passed your food concerns over to the chef.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

The Gypsy Tea Room is an incredible restaurant, consistently excellent food and service plus just a fabulous space. This is definitely one of the best restaurants in St. John's and I can say with confidence that they serve the best salmon in the city (I almost always order salmon when dining out so I've just about tried them all). The chef is amazing!

Last night we held a large dinner there for my birthday and it went like a dream. The staff were so friendly, helpful and professional (kudos to Sid, Jess, and Grant the manager) and all the guests RAVED about the food, especially the salmon and cod entrees, heard "best I've ever had" numerous times throughout the meal.

P.S. Try their weekend brunch as well, best eggs benedict in town with a hollandaise sauce like liquid velvet.
Paula

GypsyTeaRoom, General Manager at The Gypsy Tea Room, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

The salmon is my favoruite as well and one of our most popular entrees. We took it off the menu once, to try something different , it lasted a week before we had to change it back due to customer feedback. Thank you for your review. Hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Gypsy Tea Room is by far one of my fav local restaurants. Great service, whether its a night out for drinks and finger foods or an even in the dining room I've always had a pleasant experience. Best blackened salmon with dried tomato sauce I've ever had. They were even nice enough to share the recipe with me! You always have to try their spring rolls...the sauce that comes with them is to die for. Would highly recommend GTR :)

GypsyTeaRoom, General Manager at The Gypsy Tea Room, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Glad you enjoyed your evening with us once again...thank you for your repeat business. I'll pass your comments on to the kitchen.
Come back soon.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

GTR has become our Favorite restaurant and bar. It's a fantastic place for a business lunch or a night out with great friends. Food is consistently fabulous and the service is absolutely best in the city!!!

Thank you so much. As I've mentioned before it is our staff who make us who we are. The Gypsy is a great place to work and it shows in how our employees treat our guests.
Cheers!

Reviewed March 6, 2013

My girlfriend and I like to go out to dinner quite often, and truly appreciate a great dining experience, and the gypsy tea room was just that!

the food(salmon special and seafood fettuccini) were absolutely fantastic. The best salmon i've had in st. john's. Also, the desert was a perfect mixture of sweet and tart.

Enough cant be said about the service as the server seemed to love her job and left a lasting impression. I felt I could taste the chef's passion in the food.
To sum it up, if you are wondering about the next restaurant to try downtown, you'd be a fool not to choose the gypsy tea room!

GypsyTeaRoom, General Manager at The Gypsy Tea Room, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Hi

Thank you very much for your review. Keep the feed back coming..we would like to stay on the top of your list of favorites. Do you recall the name of your waiter as I like to acknowledge our staff whenever possible. They are the reason we have been around for 10 years.
Cheers