“Best spot in the city!”
Review of The Gypsy Tea Room

The Gypsy Tea Room
Ranked #8 of 384 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary, Pub, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Located in the historic Murray Premises building in the heart of downtown St. John's The Gypsy Tea Room can accommodate large groups or the most intimate of diners. Our menu includes local favourites, European cuisine and unique daily features. We are open for lunch and dinner as well as a delicious brunch on Saturday and Sunday. Our private dining room is available for wine tastings and dinner or a meeting with colleagues. The Gypsy Tea Room also offers a state of the art conference room with Smart Board, data projector and video conference capability. Our courtyard restaurant can seat 120 people with an open air kitchen and bar. Sit back and relax in a resort setting...Let us take care of you.
Reviewed February 21, 2013

The Gypsy Tea Room is the best restaurant/bar I've ever been to in St. John's. The atmosphere was cozy and warm and the staff were awesome. The only times I've been there I've sat up at the bar and the service was outstanding. The food was great too; The Cajun Chicken Fettucini was the best pasta I have ever had. I felt very welcomed and chatted with the staff throughout my visit. I highly recommend this restaurant, and it's definitely my go to place whenever I go out for food and drinks.

GypsyTeaRoom, General Manager at The Gypsy Tea Room, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Thank you for your review....happy to hear that we make you feel welcome.
Cheers!

Reviewed February 18, 2013

You cant get any better then the Gypsy. It has so much to offer and i just love going their. The service is over the top for this type of Restaurant so what else could you ask for.

GypsyTeaRoom, General Manager at The Gypsy Tea Room, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Cheers! I appreciate your comments. We do our best to provide a high level of service at the Gypsy. I am very proud of our bar and service staff.... they are the reason for our success.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

This one was a real dissapointment for us as we had heard good things. We had a weekend brunch menu here and while it wasn't awful, it was just kind of bland. Generic hashbrowns and canned beans, boring fish and potatoes. We expected more given reviews from other people. Perhaps dinner service is more impressive.

Sorry to hear you did not enjoy your experience. Feed back from brunch has always been positive. I will check into your comments regarding the food with our Chef. Drop me a line at manager@gypsytearoom.ca to make your next reservation.

Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

This place is simply fantastic. My boyfriend and I eat here quite frequently and are never disappointed. I am a vegetarian, but the menu provides many delicious options. The tomato, beat and Pernod soup is to die for. I have it every time and could honestly lick my bowl! Other great dishes include the scallops and the vegetarian fettuccine. It's all wonderful food and a great atmosphere, great drinks as well! Love going to gypsy!

1  Thank Kelly_adams23

Thank you for your kind words and patronage. I'll pass your comments back to our Chef.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

I am glad I can finally write a review of an SJ restaurant which is positive. As I am here for a long term work assignment and not much of a cook, I am able to visit most of the restaurants in the area. My criteria is simple: It must be tasty, service must be good to excellant, atmosphere needs to be enjoyable and the pricing needs to reflect the value.

I found the Gypsy to be a winner in all of these categories.

Like most of the "better" eateries in the area they recommend reservations which need to be made early in the day unless you like eating at late hours.

The menu had selections from Pork Tenderloin, Pasta, Lamb, and Steak. One of our party had one of the chef specials which was a Bacon Wrappe Cod. All meals were well presented, well cooked, and served in a timely manner. Why can't other places in the area do likewise is a mystery.

The atmosphere is relaxing and void of pretenious clutter I see in many other places which tend to detract from the space.

Why they continue to call this a tea room is not understood. This is a nice bar to meet people in and a good place to have an enjoyable meal which is worth the price.

The only negative I can say is that we wanted an earlier reservation but were told it was full. However when we arrived and were seated in the cellar dining room there was only one other table in use. I doubt it was due to cancellations. Someone needs to get a firmer grip on the process. Places like this make money by putting people in chairs so to not use an effective reservation process is like throwing money away.

I will return and enjoy something else from the menu. The pork tenderloin was very good.

GypsyTeaRoom, General Manager at The Gypsy Tea Room, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Happy to hear we were able to meet your expectations. Thank you for your feedback and come visit again when you are in town.