“Great special occasion place” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Gypsy Tea Room

The Gypsy Tea Room
Ranked #5 of 371 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Wine Bar, Canadian, Soups, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Located in the historic Murray Premises building in the heart of downtown St. John's The Gypsy Tea Room can accommodate large groups or the most intimate of diners. Our menu includes local favourites, European cuisine and unique daily features. We are open for lunch and dinner as well as a delicious brunch on Saturday and Sunday. Our private dining room is available for wine tastings and dinner or a meeting with colleagues. The Gypsy Tea Room also offers a state of the art conference room with Smart Board, data projector and video conference capability. Our courtyard restaurant can seat 120 people with an open air kitchen and bar. Sit back and relax in a resort setting...Let us take care of you.
St. John's, Canada
“Great special occasion place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We went out for a rare date night and had a wonderful time. The food was delicious and the service was very prompt. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening out.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Sherry R
GypsyTeaRoom, General Manager at The Gypsy Tea Room, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
I have a couple of kids at home and know how hard it can be to get a night "off". Thank you for choosing the Gypsy Tea Room for your night out.

St. John's, Canada
“Outdoor venue”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

The Gypsy Tea Room opened an outdoor dining area that we thought was a lovely idea for downtown St. John's. The food selection was mostly grilled items but it was fresh and perfect for a lunchtime meal.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank 159FernB
We had a great summer this year...thanks for helping make it a success.
“Poor service. Ne'er to return”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

Having been to St. John’s now for the second time, I have always been intrigued by the Gypsy Tea Room. As Water St., is a famed and most beautiful walk of shops and unique dining that my friend had convinced me that I try the Tea Room this time around.

I must let you know I was extremely disappointed by this experience and I will tell you why.

On the Friday evening we attempted to go to this restaurant we were kindly greeted by the hostess and informed that reservations were full for that evening. This part is not the part I am disappointed with. They were courteous and polite, and sympathetic of our hunger and dining needs.

On Sunday evening (during the George St. Festival week), we returned with a glimmer of hope. And as such the place was mildly busy, a bartender, 5 servers, and what seemed to me a bus boy (with orange hair).

We literally stood at the front entrance for 7 minutes as every server and bus boy passed us by without a single acknowledgement of our presence. One server even passed us 3 times without so much of a half smile to seat us. At this point I stopped the bus boy mid walk across the front lounge and asked if we could be seated. He then went to find another person who showed us to a table.

For a place that wasn’t hopping busy, and for that many staff present it felt like we weren’t welcome. My hopes of a fine dining experience were quickly dwindling.

The server, was polite, but from my perspective was disinterested. She kindly took our order of drinks, then our order of scallops, charcuterie plate, and gypsy salads. The server eventually brought out drinks, then side plates with 2 sets of cutlery. There are 3 of us dining in total.

We were then served by the bus boy holding a few of our dishes and upon returning with our last dish – here is where I will paint a picture......the beautiful cellar to my right, in front of me passing traffic and lights of Water St., and glowing ambiance of the dining room to my left..... a server just getting of her shift in sneakers walked by and grabbed his bottom while serving us. Quickly did he turn the brightest shades of red quickly outshining the dining room glow, he was clearly embarrassed. I was embarrassed for him as I hadn’t experienced a butt grabbing since my old pub serving days! Reverse sexism is on the rise these days and as young as this lad was, the embarrassment suffered by him in that moment to me was shameful for any industry. Perhaps this issue should be addressed with the staff and perhaps addressed individually with this person. I could feel his cheeks turning colour and as such he will probably brush it off as a growing male would do, but as I said above reverse sexism in a bar/lounge/restaurant/grill work place still can lead to unhappy work places and to the worst place: a law suit.

As our server passed us by twice- us now with very dry beverage glasses which we did have to stop her repeatedly to obtain refills of, did her quality check in. Which I was unable to start eating without  cutlery. She then told another person at the bar who walked around the bar to the cutlery station who then did a quick roll up... why was this passed on to another person? When the cutlery tray was already out and our server already on the other side of the bar.....the server returned to our table to inform me someone would bring me cutlery, don’t you find this odd?Anyways, that is not the point. She seemed to be annoyed and possibly disgruntled that it was near closing and another table had come in to her section and delayed her cashing out perhaps?

The food was delightful, the salad were delicious and exactly what I was looking for as NL has the most amazing fresh fish and chips, the deep fried delights needed a palate cleanser and this salad did the job. The charcuterie plate had stale croutons probably made at the beginning of kitchen shift, and the smoked salmon was warm and almost slimey either sitting on the pass through too long, or pulled too early from the freezer as it was not the freshest – odd for NL. Scallops were well done, bacon too well done, but as always the melt in your mouth scallop texture was perfect.

She asked us for a final round of drinks at which point I turned to my friends to ask them if they were up for another round, and I will politely say, she was extremely rude. As I turned back to answer her she had walked away from our table without us being able to answer her and that was the final straw for us. Her disinterest in fulfilling our beverage request sealed the deal and we were no longer going to beg for refills. It was easy for all 6 staff, not including the bus boy to congregate behind the bar for what seemed like hours as I watched another set of customers stand at the door and wait to be seated, or the table in front of me wait to be asked to have their glasses filled.

At the end of the evening and all the frustrations of getting the server’s attention I had enough. With a bill that rounded out to 165$ I could not tip her. I have eaten all across North America, coast to coast, high and low on the continent, I am still unable to recommend St. John’s restaurants to anyone. All across the board service is poor, but the Gypsy Tea Room took the cake.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sglo81
Thank you for your comments. The person who served you that evening has been let go as you were not the only guest to complain about her work ethic. I have spoken to our hosts and runners to stress the importance of acknowledging guests at the front door...making our patrons feel welcome is everyone's job.
There are many good restaurants in St.John's. If you come back to the city I would be happy to make a few reservations for you with my guarantee of a great night. Take care
Toronto, Canada
“Too inconsistant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

My first experience was top of the league with delicate food, attentive service and great atmosphere, but then I had other times where it was all bad.
A good day it is 5 stars and wish the food quality was more consistent.

Visited October 2011
Thank you for your repeat business it is too bad that we were not able to meet your expectations on your return visit. I would like you to contact me personally at the restaurant the next time you want to have a night out and I'll make sure it will be memorable.
Toronto, Canada
“A lovely evening and meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

This is a great spot for an upscale dinner! We all had appetizers and mains and it was all very enjoyable. Great food, great service, great ambiance!

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank sherbear82
Thank you for your comments hope you come see us again!