“Great food, but service was a letdown”
Review of The Gypsy Tea Room

The Gypsy Tea Room
Ranked #8 of 386 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary, Pub, Wine Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Located in the historic Murray Premises building in the heart of downtown St. John's The Gypsy Tea Room can accommodate large groups or the most intimate of diners. Our menu includes local favourites, European cuisine and unique daily features. We are open for lunch and dinner as well as a delicious brunch on Saturday and Sunday. Our private dining room is available for wine tastings and dinner or a meeting with colleagues. The Gypsy Tea Room also offers a state of the art conference room with Smart Board, data projector and video conference capability. Our courtyard restaurant can seat 120 people with an open air kitchen and bar. Sit back and relax in a resort setting...Let us take care of you.
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My mom and I had summer here, while I was at a conference in St. John's.

The food was very good, but the service was lacking. My mom as serviced the wrong order and we actually only saw our waitress 3 times during the entire experience. She didn't even bring us our food, and didn't follow up with us afterwards.

The chocolate cake dessert is amazing though! It was prefect. It is also good to note that it is open Monday nights, when a lot of the other restaurants are closed in St. John's.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

We actually liked the food here so much the first time that we came back for a second meal. We sat outside on both occasions (which I think has a different menu from inside). If you're reading this review in the summer, however, be aware that there are a LOT of wasps outside. One of the waiters said there were none all summer and just showed up a couple weeks ago. I don't know if it's a prevalent problem every year but something to keep in mind if you're allergic or terrified of them.
The first time we went I had the chicken salad crossaint which was delicious in itself, but the real showstealer (for me) was the "Green" salad on the side. You can order the salad as a meal if you want to as well, I'd recommend trying it either way as it is probably one of the best salads I've had.
The second time we went, my BF and I shared the chicken confit sandwich and the pulled pork sandwich. The pulled pork was definitely the clear winner here, the brie on the chicken sandwich kind of overpowered it a bit. A special shoutout here for the yam fries as well. We had the same waitress both times and she did a great job.
On a side note - the waiter who told us about the wasps killed one that was harrassing me (I'm scared of them) but he accidentally killed it on my martini glass, so they made me another one free of charge, without us asking them to (which, in that situation, is the way it should be). Probably the weirdest reason I've ever had something removed from the bill.
I have no idea what the food inside is like, but the interior of the restaurant has a really cool decor. The menu does look a little on the pricey side for inside, and I'm not sure if I would pay those prices for the indoor menu. The food is very tasty and the outdoor menu is a good value, but if its the same caliber inside I can't honestly say it was so good that it would warrant those prices.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

Great variety of food freshly prepared and always with a little flair. The restaurant itself is unique with old stone walls etc and located right next door to the hotel.

1  Thank Betty W
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Enjoyed the food here and our waitress was very friendly and attentive. I had the cod with a tomatoe sauce that was delicious! Had a very nice wine. Would definitely go back again.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

If you are offered the table downstairs by a door that leads outside to the restrooms, RUN!
We did not realize how bad the situation was until after our meals were ordered. It was like eating with a parade going by your table.
Our party of 6 could not be accommadated anywhere else (per the manager) as all (even empty tables) were reserved.? My father would not leave since we had already ordered, but no apology, or any other compensation was offered? The bill was brought with a business card of the restaurant stating the next time we visit,we will be assured a great table. Isn't that special?
Never have any of us ever experienced such bad manners, and service at a restaurant.