“Have a beer, eat the onion rings and leave” 2 of 5 bubbles

The Guv'nor Pub
Ranked #71 of 371 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, Canadian, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Description: Relax in authentic Old-English ambiance and enjoy a marvelous selection from our delightfully diverse menu. Find your preferred pint on tap, enthusiastic service and hearty meals. The Guv'nor Pub is known for moose specialties, hearty weekend brunches, a charming wine list, and Wing Night Monday & Tuesday! Drop by and try our new lamb, bison or turkey burger. So join us anytime for our distinctive brand of light-hearted hospitality and incredible fare!
Lebanon, Indiana
“Have a beer, eat the onion rings and leave”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

I wnet here for lunch with my wife. We ordered the onion rings which were marvelous. I haven;\'t had them this good in years.
I ordered a pannini. The chicken was chunked the cheese was added slap dash and the tomatoes were pink and rock hard. My wife had a pot pie with no vegetables other that potatoes,a white roux and a puff pastry laid on top. All in all it was a message from the kitchen of "i really don't care..

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

St Johns, NL
“Best Onion Rings Ever!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

The Guv'nor Pub is a hidden gem in St. John's, NL. Great atmosphere, excellent choice of pub grub with an English flair. They have several curry dishes available, and these are always delicious and filling.
Their onion rings are perhaps the best I have ever tasted! They are deep fried, spiced and truly tasty. The wings and rings combo combines their non-breaded wings (suitable but I would rate their wings as ok), with a half-dozen of the deep-fried onion rings. The rings are truly delicious and very filling - perhaps the largest onion rings I have ever had as well!
Servers are always friendly, and eager to please. On my latest visit, I managed to spill my soda shortly after receiving it; the server came right over to help clean up, and brought me a replacement with a smile! No extra charge for another drink on the bill, either!
All in all, a great pub, nice relaxing atmosphere, and great pub grub! Worth a visit if visiting St. John's, NL!

• Visited April 2013
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Food's quite good, the service is indifferent on the floor....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

I tripped across it when out there for work. I always eat late so this type of place is right up my alley. Good solid food choices, but the service by the floor staff is a little to under attentive for my likes. The bartender who comes out to support seems to have a much better grasp. The service on the floor, the 3 times I went was sub par at best. Just seemed completely disinterested to serve me and the tables around me. 3 different servers so perhaps some new crew is the ticket?! Either way, the food was good and filling. Prices were decent, but not cheap by any means. That's ok when you get quality though. One item that always bugs me is that if you want to be an authentic English or Irish pub then serve REAL POTATOES! The powdered mashed it just such a let down. Other then that, quaint, quiet (when I was there the 3 difft times) and clean place. Worth a drop in for a pint or meal.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lars F
Brenda L, Owner at The Guv'nor Pub, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Hi Lars,
We were disappointed to hear that your were not pleased with the service you received here at the Guv'nor. We strive to give our customers top notch service and for some reason we must have fallen short on your visits. For that we are truly sorry. We were delighted to hear that you were happy with your meals. With respect to serving powered mashed potato I can assure you that we serve nothing but real potato and that the cooks must have done an amazing job of whipping the potato that evening. Thanks so much for your comments.
St.Vincent's, NL
“Great menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

Great food choices, great service.Nice atmosphere as well.Love the prime rib here.Good location,lots of parking.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank whales10
Brenda L, Owner at The Guv'nor Pub, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
We serve only certified angus beef, so delighted you enjoyed your meal.
“Something Different”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

The Guv'nor Pub is somewhere different to visit in St. John's. If you feel in the mood for a tight, cozy, dim, English atmosphere, this place is for you. I have been to several English Pubs, and this one is a home away from home. It has a slight enchantful feeling, with great food, and excellent service. My husband and I went on a date on a saturday evening, and we had a great booth situated next to the wall. Our waitress was very friendly, and we left feeling like we wanted to go there again. It is in a random spot, on Elizabthe ave, but that is what we enjoyed about it, that it was different, and lovely.
If you are in the food to try some traditional English food, with a cost, slightrly romamtic, atmosphaere, this place will be perfect!

• Visited January 2013