“Nice place to stay”

Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in St. John's
Ottawa
“Nice place to stay”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I have to agree with other reviewers who said the website gave a different impression than the actual experience. I had the impression it would be closer to downtown and have more ambiance. The best part of our stay at the Guv'nor was the beds. The room was very hot and we couldn't open the windows. The air conditioner ran constantly(and noisily) with little effect and the fridge didn't work very well. The building is obviously old and a bit run down but the beds and linens were awesome and made for a wonderful night's sleep. The internet worked well and there was little noise from outside the room. A decent place to stay and especially handy if you are delivering kids to MUN.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Let me first say that the Inn was not even close to how it was portrayed on their website. The Inn didn’t even remotely resemble the poster they had on display at the airport. Upon arrival my first thoughts were: "I have to find another hotel!" But I was unsuccessful at finding another place so I had to endure the inn. The lobby was dark and dingy and the front desk clerk was not very welcoming. Going to my room I had to walk through another dark and dingy room that had gambling machines. The room also had a very unpleasant odor. My actual room was very small, dark (there was only a very small window), and desperately needed extensive renovations. If you are claustrophobic I would definitely stay away from this Inn. I also noticed the laminate floor was quite dirty. The walls were paper thin which resulted in five sleepless nights. The remote for the air conditioner was not working so I had to stand up on a chair (the air conditioner was on top of the door) to turn it on. The clock radio was also not working. I did inform the front desk a number of times but nothing was ever done and no apology offered. Actually, the front staff I gathered was not really interested in customer satisfaction or friendliness. Then the door lock stopped working for three days and I had to keep my valuables in the trunk of my rental car. Although they took a whole $60.00 off my bill, (I was there for 5 nights) I was never offered an apology by the hotel. The only person who apologized was the maintenance man who finally fixed the lock. On the positive side it is walking distance to MUN and the woman who cleaned my room was quite nice. I would not recommend this Inn.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank acadian65

Travelers are raving about these St. John's hotels

Ridgeway, Canada
Reviewed October 8, 2011

We travelled Newfoundland this summer and arrived on motorcycles on one of the wettest, windiest cold days of August. We originally booked for only 1 night, but when we arrived we immediately decided we were going to spend the rest of our trip to Newfoundland here.

The first room we had was a smoking room, but since it was the only room when I had made reservations from Heart's Content, I took it. The front desk staff were very accomodating and had a non-smoking room for us the next day for the duration of our stay.

The room was amazing with the old English style of decorating. The bed was superb. It was so soft, and reminded me of my aunt's feather bed in England.

Our first night we had dinner in the pub. My husband had bangers and mash and said it was the best he has ever had in his life. I had the cod au gratin it too was excellent. Francis was our waitress, and we can not say enough about her, she treated us like family and like she had known us forever. From there, we moved to the bar. Here we met Joe, the soon to be famous actor on the Republic of Doyle and 3 new friends (Paul, Peter, Alf). My husband and I looked forward to relaxing at night with our 4 new friends after a day of touring on our motorcycles.

My husband discovered that the pub had coffee in the morning and met Sherri. Sherri was very helpful in getting a taxi to do a city tour, when the company that we had hired to do the tour cancelled at the last minute. Sherri went above and beyond to help us make the city tour happen. Again we thank you Sherri.

The food from breakfast to dinner was excellent, to relaxing at the bar, we can not complain as we had 3 awesome days spent here. The staff were phenonmenal from the front desk, to the hospitality staff. Everyone went out of their way to make our first very wet trip to Newfoundland on motorcycles memorable. We can't wait to go back and see all of our new friends again. You people from Newfoundland are the best in Canada.

Room Tip: The newly renovated rooms are awesome. They have an authentic english feel to the rooms.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Colleen W
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Booked this hotel as it was close to the Memorial University Campus - about a 3 minute walk. I was delivering my daughter to university and the price was about 30% less than the chains. The rooms are small, but have wireless Internet and a bar fridge.

The beds are the most amazing aspect - great linens and the most incredible mattress, Serta Pillow Top Prefect Sleeper. I came home and bought one!

The pub next door has good food, but on the pricey side for what you get.

What was great about the Inn was that we could walk to the campus, were just down the road from the malls, and it offered a good night's rest for a reasonable price.

When we arrived, there was a mix up with the reservation, but they worked quickly and sorted it out - difficult to do when they were booked solid on the busiest weekend of the summer.

I would recommend this place and will stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose one of the rooms in the courtyard and you can drive up to your door.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Ceeley
Sydney, Canada
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Booked our reservations in July/11 for 2 nights stay in Sept./11. Upon arrival at 4pm we were told that our room was not ready yet. What happened to 3pm check in policy? Gave them the benefit of the doubt and went to get something to eat. Came back around 6pm and were told again that our room was still not ready. We have now been on the road for 20hrs. and are very tired. They then give us the keys to a room around back which was a "motel" room when I specifically requested a "hotel" upon booking. The room was small and dark and the bathroom was gross. We immediately looked for another hotel for the following night and canceled our 2nd night reservation with this Inn. There was no rate reduction or an apology from the staff during check out the next morning. Very unprofessional - they could not care less about customer satisfaction.

Room Tip: We stayed at the Ramada the following night and would highly recommend this hotel. The rooms were cl...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Hastobeclean
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I was In St. John's on business and stayed at the Guv'nor Inn. I think it was the best night's sleep I ever had! The mattress was amazing... it was a Serta Pillow Top Perfect Sleeper. I took the liberty of checking.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank marg b
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed June 8, 2010

If you stay here, and even a single person on your floor is loud, you will probably hear them in all the rooms. Its got paper thin walls and I spent my night without any sleep. Called the front desk thrice but they didnt do anything about the noise. I had to move to another hotel in the morning.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple