“Nice decor but I didn't get the room to look at it, I came to sleep!”
Review of Blue on Water

Blue on Water
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in St. John's
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
“Nice decor but I didn't get the room to look at it, I came to sleep!”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Although the rooms are nicely appointed. As other reviewers have stated, it is a very noisy hotel and we could hear the bar til way past midnight as well as other guests moving around in their rooms. On top of that, the only window (more of a skylight) had no blinds so the bright sun came shining in on us at 5 AM making for a short nights sleep. And finally, the woman who checked us in can only be described as unpleasant and acted like she was doing us a favor. We won't go back,

Room Tip: If you choose to stay here, get a room on the top floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Andre N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
St.Johns, Newfoundland
Reviewed June 30, 2014

This was our first time at Blue, and when we walked through the door we were pleasantly surprised by the modern decor, it was beautiful. We stood in the entry for about 5 minutes and watched 3 servers walk past us, look at us, acknowledge us, but make no effort to see if we needed a table or had a reservation. When I finally asked a server where we should go to inquire about a table, she looked at us like we had 10 heads and rudely said " well ya like either in here or in the bar". Regardless, we looked past this and eventually got seated in the back and were given menus. 15 minutes later a waitress came and asked if we wanted coffee which we accepted and we were told that we would be given fresh milk. We got our coffees some time later without milk, and we also didn't get the water we asked for, but we couldn't mention anything before she was gone around the corner. 10 minutes later we got our orders taken and our milk and water.

Not only was our service poor, but the customers beside us were displeased with their service as well. I was able to see a server set a table, and as she did so she placed the cutlery and napkin on the table and continued to spray the table with disinfectant, covering all utensils. I was pretty concerned at this point. The same girl later cleaned the table next to us and managed to cover the seat back with a syrup of some sort, but didn't clean it up. I had to tell her about it so that no one's shirt got ruined when they sit in the seat.

Overal it was not a good experience and we will never go back.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lmm937
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here a week ago for our anniversary. The rooms are very small. I loved the decor. The furnishings and accessories were beautiful. The downfall is this hotel has walls that seem to be paper thin. I just couldn't sleep most of the night or following morning because of the noise. it wasn't that the people in other rooms were noisy, it was just the noise of general things like people moving furniture, which seemed to be going on forever and people walking across the floor upstairs. I left this place feeling very tired. As for the staff, they were all very nice, pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor so you don't hear all the noise over your head.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JaniceEK
Charlottetown, Canada
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I saw this place online and took a chance...checked into the hotel in the bar?!@. A really neat spot...amazing rooms with modern deco with exposed brick/high quality. The bar is really nice.
The food is very flavourful...ask lots of questions before you order...some stuff is out of this world...others things are just okay (chicken). My flight was cancelled and it took me 2 seconds to decide to go back. i all be back

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
St John's
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Awesome decor, excellent food, really nice bar! The staff are awesome! Love the huge shower and bath in the rooms and gone heated floor!! It's our close to home " get away" and we stay there a few times a year and wouldn't think of staying anywhere else... Although the parking selection isn't the greatest in downtown St Johns, it's truly a wonderful restaurant, hotel and bar!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank mercer654
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed December 2, 2013

There are not too many hotel boutiques where you can get the quality and service that you get at Blue on Water. The premisis are amazing, tub and showers were divine (and I just had a standard room), beds were fluffy and inviting. The rate was phenominal considering the location and what I received.

The only thing that could have been better- and I made due - was that this hotel is not a new hotel with steel beams and concrete floors. If you have a heavy footed person above you, you can hear it. If you can turn to your "deafer side" and sleep through it, it's not so bad.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tammy D
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

My experience echoed previous reviews I collected. Hit or miss and mine was a near miss. For the price I did expect better. Overall service was good but the calamari appetizer was just luke warm and a little soggy. The salmon main was about medium temp when served but had a nice taste balance for farm salmon. I would not return on a personal visit. There are many more options in the neighbourhood for the same quality and for less cost.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business