“Noisy Hotel”
Review of Blue on Water

Blue on Water
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed March 4, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here a week ago for our anniversary. The rooms are very small. I loved the decor. The furnishings and accessories were beautiful. The downfall is this hotel has walls that seem to be paper thin. I just couldn't sleep most of the night or following morning because of the noise. it wasn't that the people in other rooms were noisy, it was just the noise of general things like people moving furniture, which seemed to be going on forever and people walking across the floor upstairs. I left this place feeling very tired. As for the staff, they were all very nice, pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor so you don't hear all the noise over your head.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JaniceEK

Reviewed January 7, 2014

I saw this place online and took a chance...checked into the hotel in the bar?!@. A really neat spot...amazing rooms with modern deco with exposed brick/high quality. The bar is really nice.
The food is very flavourful...ask lots of questions before you order...some stuff is out of this world...others things are just okay (chicken). My flight was cancelled and it took me 2 seconds to decide to go back. i all be back

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Awesome decor, excellent food, really nice bar! The staff are awesome! Love the huge shower and bath in the rooms and gone heated floor!! It's our close to home " get away" and we stay there a few times a year and wouldn't think of staying anywhere else... Although the parking selection isn't the greatest in downtown St Johns, it's truly a wonderful restaurant, hotel and bar!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank mercer654
Reviewed December 2, 2013

There are not too many hotel boutiques where you can get the quality and service that you get at Blue on Water. The premisis are amazing, tub and showers were divine (and I just had a standard room), beds were fluffy and inviting. The rate was phenominal considering the location and what I received.

The only thing that could have been better- and I made due - was that this hotel is not a new hotel with steel beams and concrete floors. If you have a heavy footed person above you, you can hear it. If you can turn to your "deafer side" and sleep through it, it's not so bad.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Tammy D
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

My experience echoed previous reviews I collected. Hit or miss and mine was a near miss. For the price I did expect better. Overall service was good but the calamari appetizer was just luke warm and a little soggy. The salmon main was about medium temp when served but had a nice taste balance for farm salmon. I would not return on a personal visit. There are many more options in the neighbourhood for the same quality and for less cost.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Nice place and great staff. Good for lunches and breakfast. The best cod and fries in town. The staff is very friendly and sensitive. What more is there to say. It is not possible to complete the at least 200 signs review as requested by tripadvisor before this review can be posted which i honestly feel is ridiculous when in a few words one can describe a very good restaurant. Moreover if one would like to find a nice place to eat long write ups like this are far from attractive and a waste of space and bytes. So stop the crap and enjoy the Bacalao restaurant in mery St Johns Newfoundland. And if the standard at tripadvisor is to write reviews of at least 200 characters the better can start looking for professional authors rather than silly guys just visiting a restaurant and who like to make their point in one single line.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 26, 2013

A very disappointing experience! As part of a party of 4 complete for a reservation for Brunch at 1pm on a Sunday, we arrived an were seated after a10 min wait. We were served coffee after half another hour wait and menus orders were taken. An hour after our arrival, 3 out of 4 of us got our food. I was told that there was a mix up in the kitchen but they bring me some toast while I was waiting. The other order never did arrive and an hour and a half after our arrival three of our party had their meal finished and I still had not received any food. When we brought this up upon paying the bill, the answer was a shrug and "sorry". Extreme lack of customer service here topped off with a "who cares" attitude.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family