“what a terrible experience”
Review of Blue on Water

Blue on Water
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Took 25 minutes to find parking on the street.
Staff couldn't suggest anything else even though we eventually found a parcade about 5 bloocks away.
No unloading zone for those with luggage.
Check-in person was busy serving at the bar- forgot to tell us about the lift which is in the back of the bar, so we carried our suitcases up three flights.
Noisy air conditioner- windows didn't open but maybe a good thing as the bar and street noise was significant.
Staff were less than helpful.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Linda E

Reviewed August 5, 2012

We really enjoyed our week long stay at Blue on Water. Great breakfast food; banana pancakes with screech syrup, salt fish cakes, toutons, wonderful fresh fruit salad (no melons!), or boring old bacon and eggs if that's what you want. All staff were very friendly and helpful - even carried my suitcase up the stairs for me! Our room faced Water Street, so was a bit noisy towards the end of the week, with the party sounds from George Street....wasn't really a problem for us, but it might bug some people. Ideal location too, close to boat tours, George St, shopping, The Rooms. We'd stay there again.

Room Tip: If you can't sleep with street/party noise, ask for a room away from Water Street.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I stayed here for a few nights while in St Johns on business, and will stay here again next time.
I was pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere in the bar downstairs. The food, and beer, was good too and so was the service.
The room was nice and clean, and just what i needed.

Sully runs a tight ship!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank NeilNL
Reviewed March 5, 2012

I treated myself to a couple of nights at the Blu at the end of a business trip to St John's, after having spent the previous few nights at a big-name hotel.

The Blu on Water is definitely a unique hotel experience. When I arrived, I was welcomed by none other than the hotel owner, who was very hospitable, and offered me a drink on the house at the hotel bar. Yes, it is a bit unusual to be checking in at the bar but the Newfie friendliness as displayed by the owner and the hotel staff is very refreshing.

One of the staff shortly after offered to help carry my luggage up to the 2nd floor where the rooms are located.

The room I stayed in was one of their Queen suites. I was impressed with the unique decor -- the room looked very much like the website pictures. I particularly appreciated the spot lighting throughout the room. Definitely a romantic place.

I returned to the Blue on Water bar/restaurant in the evening and had a great dinner with a local friend. The bar/ restaurant is quite possibly the nicest and classiest in St John's and that night it was brimming with friendly people.

I would definitely return to the Blu in some good company. It is a romantic, even idyllic place. Probably not the _best_ place for solo or business travel -- not that kinda vibe ;)

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Angelita d
Reviewed December 19, 2011

The hotel does not have a parking lot. Your only reasonable choice within a short walking distance to the hotel is to park on the street. BUT, be very careful. The streets are all metered and have some bizarre regulations in effect at certain times that are not posted on the street. The only way to know about them is if the hotel tells you or if you are clairvoyant enough to know that you should find your way to the City of St. John's website and search out the regulations. In my case the hotel did not tell me and as a tourist with a rental car I had no way of knowing until I received a ticket. The hotel refused to accept any responsibility for paying the ticket or for having failed to tell me about the special parking regulations.
I could proceed to tell you about the poor service in the restaurant or having to schlepp your suitcase through the bar to reach the only elevator (a service elevator), but I believe that has been well said by others.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2011

Small room, windows didn't open which meant the room quickly got stuffy as soon as you showered. There is no reception so you check-in at the Bar, not a great situation as you are competing for attention with the people in the Bar. No parking lot attached to the Hotel, so if you are renting a car you should be aware of that.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Spanners_11
Reviewed September 3, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights in the standard queen room following a night at the Battery Hotel on Signal hill (see review). Our room was plenty large and the bathroom was very spacious too! The shower/tub was wonderful and looked brand new. The A/C worked very well and the bed was the most comfortable bed of our entire 3-week trip through the Maritimes. You can't beat the location of this boutique hotel - right in the heart of St. John's and only a block from the Rocket Bakery and YellowBelly Brewery. The most amazing part of our stay was the staff. They are all soooo nice and helpful with everything! We didn't eat at the restaurant but definitely frequented the bar which is only a flight of stairs (or elevator ride?) below. If you like to stay in non commercialized hotels this is def the place to be. I would stay there again without question if I ever make it back to NFLD.

• Stayed: August 2011