“Great hotel - great location - great view”

Courtyard by Marriott St. John's Newfoundland
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed July 10, 2009

I was overnighting in St. John's to see friends and I took advantage of my Marriott points to stay at this location. I did not book far ahead. I understand that if I paid for the room it would have been $199.00 which is not cheap for a St. John's hotel, but hey, it was on points, so who is complaining. And it is a very nice hotel.

Here is a quick summary:
-Front desk staff exceptional - swift and friendly.
-Nice rooms, had everything you would need. Harbour facing room view was amazing - looking straight out the narrows. I did not have a room with a view, but I could see in through one as the maid was changing the sheets!
-Free parking directly across the road, free internet access, both big pluses. Little snack shop in lobby. Fitness area. It would have been nice to have a pool - I actually brought my bathing suit thinking there might be one. Nice restaurant/bar with great view. Good business area with computer.
-Not far from nice tourist sites, good restaurants. Salon right next door.
-One note: they really should improve the signage for the hotel itself (I think I could see at least three signs for the restaurant inside, but the one sign 'Marriott Courtyard' was at street level and obscured by people standing in front of it. ) I almost passed it as I was looking for the hotel.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo

Reviewed July 6, 2009

Overall the hotel was very nice - good rooms, good location, good amenities. What really stood out was the service, particularly from the Front Desk staff. They were extremely friendly and helpful, among the best I've encountered at any hotel any where.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2009

There is a reason why this is the number one rated hotel at Trip Advisor. It's a great place to stay. It's about 7-10 minutes walking from George Street. Free Parking. Nice Restaurant for breakfast in the lobby. Little snack area by the front desk. However, the main 2 reasons (other than location) why anyone stays at a hotel are the following:

Staff: The front desk staff are top notch. Each one was super friendly and very approachable. The front desk manager is very friendly, plus she is ultra professional when you require assistance. They also work as a team, where if one doesn't know the precise answer to a question, they ask each other and within the team, they have the resources to get you the right answer within 2 minutes. No chances are taken. They do everything to get you the right answer or the best recommendation.

The restaurant recommendations were perfect for us. We merely described what we wanted and out came 3 quick recommendations and a circled map where we could find them, as well as a place we could get a drink beforehand. Reservations required? No problem. They will call for you and book it.

We even needed an idea of where to go outside of St. John's and got a few recommendations there too. All were great.

The staff were great and really made our trip much bigger and better than we initially thought.

Rooms: The rooms are standard size. The beds are a little hard, but no worries. Bathrooms were fine too. The habour rooms offer a great view on a sunny day. It was all very clean -- which was key to us. The only gripe I had about the rooms is that the doors slammed. There is no soft pneumatic closer, so you hear the odd door slam when someone enters/exits their room.

Hardwire cables for online access in your rooms. No wifi. There is a little office in the front lobby that has a public computer that anyone can use to go online for anything. Nice touch (and it's free!)

All together, a great choice for a hotel. Walking distance from downtown, great staff, nice clean rooms. You can't ask for more than that.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank roadie4
Reviewed June 16, 2009

Myself, my husband and our 1 year old daughter stayed here for 2 nights.

Pros: free parking (we had a car rental, so this was one of the reasons we picked it), Smitty's in lobby (good value for money, great service), little snack shop thing in lobby (had a microwave so I could heat up my daughter's food), QUIET room! (room faced street - no noise), huge bathroom - must be either a newer hotel or reno'd because everything seemed fresh and up-to-date.

Cons: mattress was really hard and not that comfortable, pillows were small (just a preference issue as I'm used to the king size when sleeping on a king bed), just enough room for a playpen for my daughter to sleep in and park the stroller. No pool - that would have made this hotel perfect! A bit far to walk to the main area on Water/George Street, but it can be done.

Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank nora45
Reviewed April 4, 2009

This hotel has everything I need on a business trip: clean, spacious room; free internet (Ethernet in the rooms, wi-fi in the lobby); and excellent service. The front-desk staff were the highlight of the stay: helpful, friendly and efficient, changing room assignments and reservations as requested, and generally taking some of the stress out of our busy visit. I would gladly stay here again next time I'm in St. John's.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 30, 2009

We stayed at the Mariott St. John’s from the 16th-18th of March. Great location! We chose this place for tha reason, we got married during our stay and suggested to friends and family to stay there for their visit.

Staff were awesome! Thank you Laura and Sharon for everything!
Restaurent staff stayed late to accommodate out meet n’ greet, Thank you!

Hands down best view…straight out the narrows. We (along with other guests) spent many hours watching ships arriving and leaving.

The location to downtown also made this place a great pic. Located only minutes from the base of Signal Hill Road and minutes the other way from the downtown shops and tourist attractions!

There were two business centers where you could check you e-mail or flightimes. Wonderfull exercise facility (didn’t use it, but it was there).

Plaese tell your staff thank you for making our wedding party ,family and friends comfortable during their stay!!
I have pictures that i will be uploading in the next few days!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank oakley75
Reviewed January 11, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for about 7 days, checked out and traveled to PEI for five days, came back and checked in for one more night before our flight home.

Both times we came to check in, we arrived much earlier than the check-in time but the front desk staff checked with their housekeeping staff on their little walkie-talkies to make sure our room was ready. The second time we checked in our room was not ready yet so they immediately did some juggling and put us in a room that was ready and even gave us an upgrade!

The front desk staff was absolutely amazing! They had plenty of maps and suggestions as to where to go and what to do. They even called around for us to check movie times and bus schedules! The front desk supervisor above all made an effort to remember our names and anything that we told her before.

The chocolate chip cookies in the late afternoon were just amazing! They always bake them at 4pm and are ready for 4:12pm (on the dot!). They got so used to me coming and grabbing one that on the 5th day of our stay while I was having a well needed bath (after having hiked up the trails of signal hill) around the time the cookies were made, the front desk person on staff at the time called our room and let my boyfriend know/remind us that the cookies were ready and fresh out of the oven!!!

Lastly, because this property is still fairly new (about 2 or 3 years old I think) they have not had the pleasure of having very many Platinum Marriott Rewards Members so they said they were super excited about us staying there and treated us like royalty! That doesn't mean to say that if you are not a platinum rewards member you wont get the same treatment though.

As a front desk supervisor (at a different hotel chain) myself, I would STRONGLY recommend this Hotel for anybody and everybody if you get the chance!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank funguest