“Everything You Want From a Courtyard!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Courtyard St. John's Newfoundland
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in St. John's
Kirkland, Canada
“Everything You Want From a Courtyard!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

This was my first time in Newfoundland and certainly won't be my last. This hotel was absolutely perfect! The staff was extremely attentive, professional, and knowledgeable! The only drawback is the lack of restaurant choices in the area, but this is not the hotel's fault... I arrived a couple hours earlier than normal check-in but it was absolutely no problem. I was invited to help myself to a complimentary welcome drink while I waited for my room to be ready, it took about 15 minutes. Throughout my entire stay, everything was exactly as you’d hope for. Rooms were clean, staff was friendly, and parking was easy! I will definitely be back :)

Room Tip: Definitely do what you can to get a high room floor overlooking the harbour. Watching the boats and...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Kevin C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

This past month I was visiting St Johns from California and stayed at the Courtyard for five nights. My flight arrived after midnight and I checked in around 1 AM. Check in at that hour, after ten hours of travel was quick and easy - and my deluxe room was comfy, immaculate, and welcoming. During my stay I was not disturbed by other guests and if there was any noise going on I didn't hear it. Their in-house restaurant, Smitty's has an awesome "Rocky Mountain Burger" I'd recommend and a full-bar for a reasonable price along with a nice view of the harbor. There is stable WiFi available and a business desk in the deluxe rooms. Beds were comfortable and linens were clean. The shower/bath in my room was spacious and polished.

Whenever I needed necessities (towels, soap, etc) they set me up with extras. If I needed directions somewhere or a suggestion, the front desk was polite enough to direct me. I want to give a big cheers to the staff there for doing such an impeccable job. This was one of the more comfortable stays I've had with a Marriott and these kind of visits keep me returning.

For those of you who have never been to the area or are looking for a downtown location this is optimal. I walked up the street almost every day to wander shops, boutiques, and hop the bus. One day I walked from the hotel up to hike around Signal Hill (it's well within walking distance if you're fit/ready for the climb.) Their Marriott Market is available, but if they don't have what you need there is a small shop/grocer/market across the street that is open until midnight on most nights.

Noteworthy: This hotel does not offer an airport shuttle but the cab ride was just under twenty bucks. I found that there is usually a cab parked out front during the day and evenings for prospective passengers and the front desk can arrange for a cab to pick you up.

Ladies, the in-room blow dryer is exceptional (so many places offer HORRIBLE in-room blowdryers and if you're a lady you understand.)

Room Tip: My room was next to an elevator and it didn't disturb me once, don't worry if they book you...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lapsa84
New Brunswick, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

This hotel is a pleasant hotel, located about a 15 minute walk from the very heart of the city of St John’s. Its main entrance is on Duckworth Street, with a lower level entrance on Water Street, the main street of the city. It is easily accessible by taxi from the airport (it cost me $22 to come in from the airport at midnight after my flight had arrived, and $18 to get out to the airport for an 8.45 am departure). I always request a higher floor (knowing that some people do not like higher floors) and had a great room on the top 7th floor with a fantastic view out to the “Narrows”, the entrance to St John’s harbor, and to the colorful fishing village of the Battery and Signal Hill. The sunrises over the entrance to the harbor were magnificent. The whole harbor front is a working harbor – so do not expect unspoiled scenic views. You will see ships loading and unloading, cranes at work, trucks coming and going. But being high up, the view was really lovely despite this, and there was hardly any harbor noise.

My room (harbor view with king bed) was comfortable, very nicely furnished, with a good desk for working, and a comfortable armchair that I could turn to watch the harbor and the view. It is not a large room but totally adequate for my needs. Free wireless internet is throughout the hotel, including lobby and restaurant areas, and worked fine. A coffee maker to make fresh filtered coffee is available in the room, and newspapers were left outside the door. Coffee is also available free in the lobby, as were fresh-baked cookies in the evening - a very nice touch. I found all staff to be very polite, courteous and helpful. Whether it was cleaning staff, maintenance, restaurant or desk personnel, there was a warm cheerful greeting and a smile when I encountered them. Desk staff were happy to offer suggestions and maps. I had breakfast at the hotel restaurant, with a nice view out to the harbor. The egg/potato/vegetable skillet was tasty, and the lunch sandwich was fresh and abundant.

Overall I think the hotel is in a good location. It is not right in the very heart of downtown, yet easily accessible by walking a short distance. It is a good base for walking around the “jelly bean” colored heritage homes along Gower Street and the many side streets above the hotel. This colorful walk also takes you up to the “Rooms”, the art gallery / museum / archives complex of St John’s. Well worth a visit for a great historical and cultural introduction to the city, and some stunning views down across St John’s and to the harbor. It also has a great coffee shop with views. From the hotel (turning right on Duckworth Street) I walked up the road to the Eco Centre (a good uphill walk) and ultimately to the top of Signal Hill for superb views of the city, harbor and Atlantic coastline. Well worth it for the views – and the exercise. I also did a walk (about 2.5 km) to Quidi Vidi lake and fishing village (including the Brewery). Very pretty. You can easily take a taxi there. In the other direction (turning left on Duckworth Street), you get into the city center, with its many restaurants (marvelous choices), coffee shops and lots of stores selling art work, products, souvenirs and jewelry from across Newfoundland and Labrador. Not a city of departments stores and designer shopping, if that is what you want. The bar / club strip on George Street that locals talk about and recommend was pretty unattractive to me. I just wished I had been able to see an iceberg float by – but apparently these happen in June and July. While it was not the tourist season, everything seemed to be open!

Room Tip: Always ask for a high room when booking
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank WorldTraveller08901
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

I had business in St John's recently and stayed at the Courtyard. While this chain is predictable, which is good, well located and is well appointed, the people made the difference here. The front desk staff are exceptional. The people in general are very kind in St John's but the folks at the hotel went above and beyond.
The hotel views are great if you face the harbour and a great restaurant is located next door.
If you travel to St John's, this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Marg M
Labrador City, NL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

I just arrived back home from a weekend stay at the Marriott in St. John's with a few girlfriends. I have to start off by saying that the staff at this hotel is excellent!! They are one of the friendliest staff I've dealt with out of all the hotels I've stayed in. Although the hotel is a little dated, it is very clean and housekeeping gets the job done fast. We stayed in a junior suite, the site says it sleeps 4. This room does not have two beds. It has one regular bed and one bed that folds out from the couch. Our room was also on the main floor, but we still had an awesome view of the harbour. There is a restaurant attached called Smitty's - great for breakfast! Service is excellent and fast. The hotel is also in a great spot, right down town close to Water Street and George Street. I would recommend this hotel based on the staff, location and cleanliness. If you want something a little more modern, I would suggest staying somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Missy C
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

I was hoping for a nice 5 night stay with my husband during our first visit to St John's. I found the staff very unfriendly. They did not make us feel comfortable whatsoever. If anything, it felt like we were being watched the whole time. Did they think we were criminals? I know Im from Toronto and did we look that odd? I may not be speaking for all staff but just the ones we've encountered. I was quite disappointed with our stay with amount of money we paid for those nights! I expected better!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Navgirl01
Hubbards, Nova Scotia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

I was so glad that we stayed at The Courtyard by Marriott on Sept 7 & 8th. The hotel is in a good location and within walking distance of the waterfront ( we were there to meet my older son on HMCS Charlottetown which was returning from the Middle East on an eight and half month deployment). A brisk walk to George Street if you want to try out the bars! The Marriott was clean and rooms were comfortable, restaurant on site was great for breakfast. Most hotels are pretty much the same and what makes this one great is the staff. Jamie on the front desk was excellent from the time we arrived until we left. He always had a smile and gave us good advice for the restaurants, shops and attractions. Excellent service is what makes an excellent experience!

Room Tip: Harbour view is great
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family