“Reliable and Friendly”

Extended Stay Canada - St. John's - Downtown
Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in St. John's
“Reliable and Friendly”
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

I spent slightly more than half of the last two years as a guest at the Extended Stay hotel. My work took me to St. John's for periods of three weeks at a time. The hotel has done some upgrades during that period and improved the comfort of the rooms and furniture. The location is OK and if you have to walk, you can reach the city centre in a few minutes.

The real strength of the establishment is it's staff. They are friendly and helpful, and will go out of their way to make your stay comfortable. They are always ready to help and willing to solve any problem quickly. I would recommend this location to anyone looking for reliable long term accommodation where you can expect peace and quiet. The units have cooking facilities.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
South River, Canada
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My friend and I were looking for a place to say for the night that was close to downtown and within our price range. I had never heard of this hotel before so I was a bit skeptical but I'm so glad we decided to stay here. The rooms were clean and very comfortable also I was very impressed by the fact that they came with a fully equipped kitchen. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I was greeted and asked how my day was going every time I walked through the door.
The weekend before I stayed at the Delta and i payed four times as much for a room that was no where near as comfortable as the one I slept in at this hotel.
This has become my new place to stay in St. John's and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to stay in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - St. John's - Downtown, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
The staff and I read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such a wonderful things about all we have to offer at Extended Stay Canada St. John's.

I am proud of our team for the customer service they provide all of our guests. The staff and I would like to thank you again for posting your review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Toronto
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed there for 3 or 4 days while visiting St. John's. It's an easy walk to the west end of downtown (of course lots of the interesting stuff is in the east end, but taxis work pretty well). It's a 5 minute walk to a Shopper's Drug Mart pharmacy and a 15 minute walk to a Sobey's grocery store. The in-room fridge is a good size and there's a little stove too. The staff are very friendly and helpful. We had a room with a pull out couch, and the room gets very cramped when the pull-out is pulled out. The breakfast was kind of mediocre ... undrinkable coffee (but there's a coffee machine in the room) and a selection of cereals, sliced breads, juice and a few mini cinnamon rolls. The place was quite clean and well kept.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank canexa
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - St. John's - Downtown, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I truly appreciate your comments regarding the your visit! Once more, thank you for posting your review. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.
Peterview
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We had an appointment at the hospital next to the hotel. you couldn't find a hotel closer to this hospital than the extended stay, plus if the weather is bad, you can access the hospital through an underground parking garage. The hotel is very clean and well maintained, overall, a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: If you have an appointment at the hospital next door, call the hotel and make your reservation, tell...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - St. John's - Downtown, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Chris - I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that our hotel was in a great location for you and that you found it be clean as well as maintained. The staff and I truly enjoyed having you visit with us and would love to provide you with another comfortable stay in the future.
Prospect, Nova Scotia
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed for three days while exploring St. John's. I gather many of the guests are patients and their families from the nearby hospital. There is a kitchenette in the room, and a laundry in the basement. The staff was great and I have no complaints. The soundproofing works very well! I never heard a peep from the adjoining rooms. There was some traffic noise, so if I went back I'd try for a room on the front side of the building.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay Canada - St. John's - Downtown, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Once more, thank you for posting your review. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future!
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My family (son, daughter-in-law, granddaughter, grandson) stayed in one room with a queen, twin and rollaway. The staff did everything possible to make our stay enjoyable. The only change I would make is to have a high chair available in the Breakfast Room.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank L M
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - St. John's - Downtown, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I am proud of our team for doing everything possible to make your stay enjoyable. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I arrived without a reservation around 11pm after the St. John's airport shutdown due to storm conditions and an ongoing labor dispute with the airports ground crew.

They were able to accommodate me at the last minute which was very much appreciated as I was extremely fatigued at that point in the late evening..

Check-in took about 15 minutes even though I was the only partron being serviced. I handed over my CC along with my work ID, which the clerk needed to see in order to qualify me for a negotiated discount with my employer. He also indicated he wanted to photocopy my id for his records which I found was rather odd. I consulted with a colleague who had spent a week there and he wasn't asked for anything other than her CC.

He assigned me my room key and I headed off downstairs to room 115.

The accomodations was more than satisfactory, if not a little on the dated side, which may matter for a very select few. The room was outfitted with a stove, fridge, flat screen tv and so on. Bed was comfortable and the provided linens were selected to suit the upcoming winter season.

The only very notabable negative was the smell. Something in the room or adjacent hallway stank of a combination of industrial carpet cleaning fluid and sour vinegar (that's the best description I can come up with). I would have asked for another room assignment but I got the last room in the facility. When I got home I had to wash all of the clean clothes in my suitcase to remove the smell.

Other very minor quibles included noisey waterflow to the toilet which I fixed by turning off the valve to the tank, and the phone call I received 20 minutes after I'd gone to bed from the front desk looking to verify my wakeup call time. The internet wasn't also functioning during my brief stay.

The smell made the stay unpleasant and if I wasn't so tired I would have asked for a refund based on that particular point. Other than that there were no glaring issues. Seeing as I wasn't able to determine the cause of the odor I'm leaving the Cleanliness rating empty.

I mentioned all four items to the checkout clerk - who looked genuinly concerned which was appreciated. Checkout was 10X faster than check-in. And as with my arrival, both individuals were pleasant in presentation and demeanour.

I didn't have time to try out the other onsite ammenities so I can't comment on those.

Based on the other reviews I would suspect my experience was an anomally so with that in mind I would provide a tentative recommendation if asked.

(If the management reads this review I would be very interested to know how they addressed my most pressing concern as outlined above)

Room Tip: Take a strong sniff when you walk into your room :-)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
RDO_Sarah_L, Owner at Extended Stay Canada - St. John's - Downtown, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
I wanted to personally take the time to respond to your review. I want to start by thanking you for staying with us. I know it was an unexpected stay but we greatly appreciate your business. Thank you also for sharing your feedback with us. I am very sorry for the odor you experienced during your stay. We had a brand new shower unit installed in the room many hours prior to your arrival. It was our miscalculation that the odor would have dissipated in time for a late arrival. I am very sorry you had to deal with that. I have addressed this with our staff to ensure it is not repeated with future guests. Thank you again for bringing it to our attention.