“Unique and historic St. John's culinary experience!”
Review of Mallard Cottage

Mallard Cottage
Ranked #3 of 386 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 20, 2014

The first thing that strikes you about this restaurant is its green and white nondescript building in a narrow street (I am glad they had their own parking lot) in the rustic Quidi Vidi Village. Then you get seated in a quaint room with a low ceiling and a wood-burning fireplace (the server explains that this is a national historic site, being one of the oldest wooden building in North America). After which, you look up the menu written on the chalkboard wall. All this history and the cozy and feels-like-home atmosphere adds a unique touch to our dining experience in Mallard Cottage. Service was informal and friendly. Food was all scrumptious. We tasted the seared halibut and lobster and it was fresh and done well. It was a unique St. John's culinary experience!

Reviewed June 8, 2014

The last review I wrote about Mallard was not great and reflected my experience rightly, however this time was WAY better! The food, the experience, the staff were all impeccable and I couldn't have asked more for a better dinner with my family.
This time, eating on a Friday night, we shared a couple of appetizers and four or five main dishes between the four of us. The first bite of the homemade pasta was enough to know it was a tenfold improvement. The homemade buns are enormous and delicious!

Definitely a great restaurant and I will be going back.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

We we lucky to have had the opportunity to enjoy a wonderful dinner at Mallard Cottage. Upon arriving in St John's we wandered over to Quidi Vidi village looking for a place to have zone lunch.mew came upon the Mallard Cottage just after they had finished their lunch service and the kitchen was closed but one of e owners, Steven welcomed us to stay and have some coffee, tea and some boiled raisin cake, a Newfoundland specialty, and it was well worth it. Steven and his staff we so welcoming and hospitable and the chefs were filleting a freshly caught halibut for that night's dinner. They menu changes daily based on what is fresh. We so enjoyed our visit that we knew we had to return for dinner, but they were booked up for the next few days. We were told to call the following day to see if there was any availability. Luckily when we called we were able to get reservations for the following night, Friday. We also called to find out what the menu would include and it all sounded delicious.m

We walked from our hotel, the Sheraton, and arrived for our 5:30 reservations. Although the menus is limited, they did have about 6 items each for appetizers and mains. All items were freshly made from homemade pasta, freshly caught halibut, cod and of course lobster and pork. As an amuse bouche we were offered a pork and bean salad, which was very tasty, and some freshly baked, large buns.

I had the most delicious seared halibut topped with pulled pork, over a polenta and jus. I wondered how the pork would work with the fish but it did fabulously. The homemade pasta dish with pork ragout was wonderful as was the lobster/potato salad. For desert we had a panna cotta and chocolate orange cake. The portions were just right.

Service was very good, attentive and the restaurant is staffed with a group of friendly young people from the servers to the chefs. It was well worth returning to enjoy a wonderful dinner.

1  Thank Rita P
Reviewed May 30, 2014

We dined at Mallard Cottage as a celebration on the occasion of my son's university graduation. My son had picked this restaurant as he (and I )have been following Todd Perrin since his days on Top Chef Canada. I won't go into detail about the building or the location as that has already been covered in other posts. We were a party of 4 including 1 vegetarian. If anybody has seen Mallard Cottage's continuously varying menu one would not say that it is a vegetarian delight. It is very heavy on seafood and Pork. So we figured my sons girlfriend would have to make do with just the salad from the appetizer menu. Of course we hoped that maybe a restaurant of this caliber would not have a problem whipping something up on the fly and we were not disappointed. Anyways, we were not going to order the homemade Buns @ $1.50 each until we saw them come out to another table. They are the size of small loaves of bread so we ordered some to try and they were delicious. As we were waiting for our order to arrive we were presented with an amuse bouche of pork belly and mustard on cracker. And to our surprise the server came over and told our vegetarian guest not to worry because they had also prepared a special one for her. I thought that was fantastic service.This is the type of service that brings you back for more.

I ordered the crab bisque as an appetizer and it was very good, with a great flavor of crab. My son order the smoked pork hock pasta appetizer which he had to share with everyone because it was so good.Our mains consisted of Pan seared halibut on beluga lentils with a halibut confit, and the crab gnocchi. My son's girlfriend was presented with a delicious vegetarian pasta dish as her special request. All of the mains were very good. I swear the Halibut had been just caught and cooked to perfection and it paired very well with the lentils. The gnocchi was pillowy soft with a good amount of crab. We ordered 2 desserts to share.One was a cheesecake with candied pecans and the other was a chocolate roulade. Both were very good. The pricing of this restaurant is on par with other restaurants in St John's but the quality of food is in my mind a step above. The atmosphere is rustic chic and a great place to hang out for a couple of hrs. You can really tell that the staff and the owners really care about the product they are putting put their and that is greatly appreciated.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

Our meal at Mallard Cottage was a truly enjoyable experience. The best way I can think of to describe the decor is relaxed chic. The menu changes every day but is based on locally sourced products. Our reservation was a bit later in the evening and by the time we arrived, they were all out of the lamb. My husband had his heart set on having the lamb but opted for a seafood dish instead and was delighted with his meal. My daughter and I tried the pasta dish with goat confit. It was delicious. My sons had a version of shepherd's pie made with moose meat. They thoroughly enjoyed that dish. There were some interesting cocktails. I tried one that had bourbon and pear (if memory serves). It was not really to my taste but others might find it enjoyable. I'm definitely looking forward to another visit to Mallard Cottage and have started dropping hints to the family about where I'd like to celebrate my next birthday.