“Great experience”

Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 24, 2014

My wife and I sampled this place with another couple, and truly enjoyed it. We were there on a Saturday evening, and everything was tapas-style
The food was amazingly tasteful and innovative
Would we go back? You bet
Would we recommend this place to other friends? You bet

Reviewed April 13, 2014

We didn't realize it but we have been waiting for this place. As a couple, we have been fortunate to dine out in many cities in NA. Like most of us we have had very good, bad and ugly. We can count one experience as exceptional and that was in large part due to the server. I have never been so happy to tip someone. This has been our bench mark for some time.
Our Saturday (Small Plates Menu) evening at Mallard firmly challenged and is likely to unseat that experience. In very short terms, the food was absolutely fantastic and was only outdone by the service with a gentleman whose casual confidence left us feeling like we had been friends forever.
As for the remaining components of our experience. The atmosphere is unique and inviting. One side with low ceilings, lending a sense of intimacy and the other a vaulted ceiling common room feel. The wine list is modest in size (thankfully) but well chosen and apparently changes regularly to match the menu.
"we'll rant and we'll roar..." and we will be back.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

My wife and I dined at Mallard Cottage for supper on Friday, 12 April. The atmosphere was very inviting with a cozy fire and soft music playing in the background and our Server was friendly and engaging. The appetizers were amazing, but sadly, the main course was a "little less" than expected. When our Server asked how we enjoyed our meal, we were polite, but honest! Very soon after, the Owner attended our table to ask for feedback on the main course. A very pleasant conversation ensued and the Owner went to very great lengths to ensure that our overall experience was a positive one! Steve, you and your staff know what customer service is all about! What would have ended as a disappointing experience in other restaurants, ended as a tremendous night at Mallard Cottage! Well done! We will DEFINATELY be back!

1  Thank SARMAN119
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

I've had dinner here before which was very good but this was my first brunch.

Mallard Cottage is rustic and airy place with lots of natural light, fireplaces with real wood add a nice touch.

First out, the menu will be hit or miss for you as you will have no idea of what's being served that day. It's great to know everything is fresh but it's nice to have an idea of what to expect.

Service was friendly, coffee was the norm, but hot and lots of it.

In our case I was looking for a traditional breakfast, and I got it with the meat lovers breakfast of eggs, sausage, bacon, and pork belly, very nice.

My companion however is more of a French toast, pancake and waffle type of brunch person and although these have been on past menus they were not available today which left her with toast, coffee and cake for brunch which was a bit of a let down.

Mallard Cottage has a good thing going for them but I'd suggest if they are going to change the menu each day they should at the very least post it online every day to give customers a heads up on what to expect, and the option to opt out should it not be to ones liking.

I'll go again because I'm the adventurous type but my companion will not unless she knows ahead of time what to expect.

Food for thought.....

2  Thank Global4755
Reviewed March 22, 2014

This was my second time at Mallard Cottage, and just like the first, it was amazing. My boyfriend and I went to Mallard Cottage to celebrate our two year anniversary and we were so impressed by the quaint atmosphere, attentive service, and large variety of food. We loved the fact that their food is house made and local. Tonight I brought my mom who is visiting from away, and she absolutely loved the atmosphere and food as well. This is definitely a place I would bring someone who wants to experience a great Newfoundland evening, since the location is perfect, the service is SO friendly, and the food is local.