“Consistency at its mediocre self.”

Swiss Chalet Rotisserie & Grill
Ranked #80 of 373 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Since our doors first opened in 1954, Canadian families have been coming back to Swiss Chalet generation after generation. Our rotisserie ovens only accept fresh (never frozen), grain-fed, Canadian Grade A chickens, because quality is all we know. So what will it be? A Quarter Chicken with fries?
St. John's, Canada
“Consistency at its mediocre self.”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I enjoy SC because its a nice sit-down restaurant. But after going twice in 2 months it's lost it's lustre. The only thing I can add positively is instead of just chalet sauce, they offer rib sauce or gravy. The server didn't seem impressed we had a coupon, but she was ok.
Will I go back? Perhaps in the fall.

• Visited February 2014

“Errors with the food would have been acceptable had the service provider been friendly. Her 30 cash”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

So to begin with, we are a family of four, two adults and two children 10 and 5. Our server was Cleary annoyed with having to wait on indecisive children, should have been a clue as to what was to come.

She took our drink order, kids wanted soda and we did not want them to this late 700pm approx.

This is when it became apparent to us that providing service to our children was Clearly not what this sever wanted to deal with. After about 30 seconds we finally had a decision from the kids. I ordered a Beer.

Some time had passed (not an unreasonable amount) before she came back. She took our order. And not long after came back with our drinks. We Ordered our food.

Once the food came out, my sweet potato fries were cold, my chicken was cold, a portion of my meal was forgotten, so I waited for some time before finally flagging down the server who advised that there was in fact something missing. She went and retrieved the Garlic bread but not before doing what I would say "giving me attitude" she never did ask how the meal was etc. She did come and take my empty soup bowl.... my beer was empty, great opportunity to increase your tip.... if my beer is empty and you ask me if I want another.... instant bigger tipper!

Then and maybe the worst part, my son ordered ice cream with fudge in. She brought it out with a light brown sauce on it, and left (i was in the mens room) I got back to my table, my son wouldn't eat that flavor, I flagged her down, and said he wanted fudge, her response was "that is fudge" I said isn't fudge normally a different colour? She said sometimes we get it in that colour" so I tasted it, she said it's fudge there are two canisters of it in back and I grabbed fudge, she was not even willing to look and see if there was anything.

Then instead of fixing this mess up... I got attitude and animosity.

I know some days are bad days for anyone... I am in this restaurant a few times a month and religiously tip minimum 15%. this girl didn't enjoy her work and I think fails to realize her job is to provide Service.

I've Never been more upset

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Pallison83
Halifax, NS, Canada
“Fantastic Lunch and Great Service”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

This is a fairly new Swiss Chalet (it wasn't even on their website as a restaurant location) and, as usual, it is a good one. Our party of three ordered chicken soup, chicken salad, and a Greek salad (we were there for lunch) and were all pleased with our meals. It seemed to take slightly longer than usual for a Swiss Chalet lunch, but still not long and the food was great.

The service was really good too. Friendly, prompt (especially once we said we were done, she was back with the credit card machine quickly, which I appreciate), and polite.

And the prices for 3 adults to enjoy a good lunch are very good.

Highly recommended.