“Surprisingly enjoyable.”

Homeport Apartment Hotel
Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in St. John's
“Surprisingly enjoyable.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

We gathered that this was not your typical hotel and it isn't. It's basically short-term housing -- dated apartments converted and rented as suites. But despite many of the reviews here, it was very clean, there was free WiFi (some of the most reliable and fast I've seen, in fact) and the entire staff was helpful and friendly from the cleaning staff to the front desk. If you need a short-term apartment, this is definitely the place. It's location is also perfect, right across the street from a mall, a Shoppers Drug Mart and a Tim Hortons. It's right in the center of everything.

If I had one complaint, it would be the noise. Whoever was above us had kids that were running back and forth on the floor until 11pm and you could hear every thump. There was also a bus tour of college kids staying in some of the rooms and they came home drunk and were screaming up and down the halls. None of this would be under the control of the staff -- but given the economy, size and nature of the patrons, it's inevitable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank eyesno

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed 3 different times mostly in June and 1 night in July 2013. Big oil and gas show was in town and most hotels sold out.
The staff was helpful. I don't have a pet with me and I don't smoke, so it was easy for me to get a room, here. This hotel is close to Signal Hill, The Rooms [a museum ] and Downtown. Downtown has lots of pubs, live music and shopping. Artists like living here apparently. It is close to the airport, too. There are shopping centers on the way to airport. I found the local people very friendly and helpful. A drugstore with some groceries and a dollar store are right across the street near the bus stop. I found it convenient with wifi it met my needs. I would stay here again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank BlueBarron3
Stephenville, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed in a two bedroom apartment for 4 nights in June. The smell of mildew and mold in the entire apartment was awful, the bathroom was the worst. We had to purchase deodorizer spray in order to be able to stay in the apartment. It was hot and there is no air conditioning. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: No restaurant and no pool.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Alexand2013

Travelers are raving about these St. John's hotels

East Broughton, Quebec
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

We had no trouble checking in. I had forgotten to note that the reception was in building 4, so we went around in circles for a few minutes, but a staff member, who was outside, quickly set us in the right direction! The staff was friendly and we were settled in, in no time. With a fully-stocked kitchen in the unit and a few basic items purchased close by, we were able to prepare our breakfasts there in our pyjamas, which was a nice relaxing way to start the day!. We had requested a 2-bedroom unit on the upper floor so we had no one overhead and enjoyed an unobstructed view of Signal Hill. The accommodations were clean and sufficient for our short stay. It had a nice cozy feeling with the separate rooms, the living room and the eat-in kitchen. For anyone there for a longer period of time there is a good amount of storage space available. A standing fan was provided and much appreciated the day we arrived. It was a hot day and the curtains had been left open. By closing the curtains during the day when we were out, that wasn't a problem for the rest of the stay. Our unit had it's own hot water heater, and I assume the others do as well, so there was no problem for having enough hot water for the shower. If you are looking for an economical, no-frills place to stay, I would suggest this location.

Room Tip: We were in building 6, apartment 401, which was on the side of the building away from traffic on Tor...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
New Brunswick
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

I had a 3 bedroom apartment. The apartment was dated and could use a fresh coat of paint or two. The worst part of my stay was the fact they didn't have WiFi. The 3 of us had to share one internet connection which was a pain in the you know. The walls are paper thin and you can hear your roommates or neighbors clear as day.

Room Tip: Apartments or Suites that do not face Torbay Rd are the best so you don't hear the traffic and t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Gino234
Lethbridge, Newfoundland, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

This was by far the worst experience I have ever had! I have never had so much trouble trying to check in to hotel before in my life! The lady was rude and impossible to deal with!! We spent over 2 hours trying to get checked in! I would not recommend this place to anyone!! Go somewhere with a more friendly staff!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Samantha H
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

I love staying here! A home away from home! My husband and I stay here with our two boys. When we come into town we usually stay for a couple of nights and we don't feel cramped like in a one room hotel. We don't have to worry about waking them with the tv and so on as they have their own room. The walls are a bit thin but overall people that stay here are very considerate of their neighbours. Staff is wonderful and the cleanliness is not bad. Location is good too. all in all I will continue to stay here.

• Stayed March 2013