“Hillview Terrace Suites - the place to stay in St. John's!”

Homeport Apartment Hotel
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in St. John's
Iqaluit, Canada
“Hillview Terrace Suites - the place to stay in St. John's!”
Reviewed March 25, 2011

I stayed at the Hillview for three nights in March, and was thoroughly impressed with the service, cleanliness, and amenities. The suite was large, had a kitchen and felt like a perfect home away from home. There is a courtesy shuttle to take you around, and the rates are very reasonable. Will be staying here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank ArcticTraveller80

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 26, 2010

The reviews on this property are as varied as the individual apartments. My husband and I and 14 extended family members traveled to St. John's for our son's wedding. As I knew our suite would be the meeting area for everybody, I booked the superior three bedroom unit in building 3B. We visited this suite back in December when it was undergoing a complete renovation and knew it would be the right choice. We were thrilled when we checked in eight months later and saw the final result. All furnishings are brand new, the living room has two leather sofas, electric fireplace and large flat screen tv; the dining room easily seats 10; the large kitchen has seating for 6; each of the three bedrooms has a queen size bed and flat screen tv; plus two bathrooms and a sauna. This was the nicest and most expensive of the suites rented by our family . My family had suites of varying sizes, some renovated some not, but all suites were well outfitted and very clean.Although there is not complimentary daily housekeeping, each morning the friendly chambermaid would ask if we needed fresh towels, tissue, tea and coffee or a newspaper.
Perhaps the best advertisement for this property is the staff on all levels. Shannon, at the front desk, helped us sort out housing all family members from age 1 to 89 and never seemed flustered, Geraldine from housekeeping greeted us each morning with a smile and a newspaper and Helena, General Manager , made sure everything ran smoothly for us.This property is ideal for families traveling together or couples who wish to self-cater. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will return.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cheopat
Temiskaming Shores, Canada
Reviewed August 10, 2010

We stayed here in a 3 bedroom suite for a week. The reception and daily attention to our needs and total comfort was exceptional. Best of all, the price was half of what we would expect to pay elsewhere!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank culhaneg
Newfoundland
Reviewed August 26, 2009

What I like about Hillview Terrace is the fact that it is an apartment. You have your 1,2, or 3 bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen, and living room area. If you are travelling with other people, you can share the cost of a room, but still have your privacy by having your own bedroom. However the first time that I stayed there, the room was extremely damp (carpets, couch, beds). The second time, the room had a foul odor. Overall, I would give it a 3 out of 5.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank busymama24
PEI
Reviewed September 23, 2008

Stayed in block 3 - bottom floor. The doors BANGED LOUDLY every time someone went in or out of either the room or the building. People talked on the 3rd floor hallway and we heard every word in the basement. Washer was on the same line as our kitchen and we got soap from the washer. No sound proofing between the laundry room and ours and people were still doing the wash after 11pm.
The staff were very helpful and friendly and when we got party people overhead they quickly quieted them down. This place would have got a higher rating but the noise was just too much.
The price is right so perhaps you need to stay on the top floor if you can walk up 2 1/2 flights of stairs.

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — the NOISE
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank Islander13

Travelers are raving about these St. John's hotels

Canada
Reviewed September 6, 2008

Hillview Terrace is a good place to stay if you are looking for affordable accommodations in the city of St. John's, although there are better alternatives for those with a bit more money to spend.

First, I'll start by commenting on the location. Hillview Terrace Suites is located on the eastern end of the city, around the MacDonald Drive and Torbay Road intersection. There is a small plaza across the street, Tim Hortons and Sobeys down the road and various other stores and restaurants further north on Torbay Road. MacDonald Drive (becomes) one of the main arterials in the city when you reach the intersection where it becomes Prince Philip Drive. On or near (Prince Philip Drive), there are two hospitals, a university, the Avalon and Village malls, the Confederation Building and a few other points of interest. If you are walking, Hillview Terrace may not be the best spot to stay in the city because of its eastern location - especially if you will be touring the west end and/or downtown core of the city. If you have a car or are willing to take the bus, the location is okay. Traffic generally isn't a problem in the city, with the exception of certain rush hours, so you should be fine and downtown should be a fairly short drive.

Next I want to mention a surprising issue I ran into when booking directly with Hillview Terrace Suites. As I'm from and frequent the city of St. John's, I always notice a sign advertising the <$80 price point for a 1 bedroom apartment at Hillview Terrace Suites along the Trans-Canada Highway as I'm driving into the city. Attracted by this offer at the time, even though I wanted a two bedroom suite, I was expecting to get that price. Perhaps I shouldn't have made that assumption. As of writing, their site advertising a 1 bedroom apartment starting at $89.99, 2 bedroom at $104.99 and 3 bedroom at $159.99. The key word in that statement is "starting at". Upon emailing my request for a reservation, I found that those are the "medical rates" and that I would have to pay well over that amount to stay at the apartment. In fact, my two-night stay in a two bedroom suite added well over $260 to my credit card bill. So much for $104.99 per night.

Since I like the privacy of an apartment-like setting versus a standard hotel, I decided earlier this year to book a week at Hillview Terrace Suites once again. I like the convenience of on-demand rates so I went to their website and while the main page was loading, I said to myself - "What's the point?". The advertised price is never correct and I'd end up having to email or call them and see what the real price for a non-medical stay would be anyway. This inconvenience and principle that perhaps non-medical rates should be the ones primarily advertised made me forget my plans to go there for a week this time around... but enough about that, back to the main review.

The apartment itself is nice. I stayed in the standard suite - there was an option to stay at a renovated suite for a bit extra but I just opted for whatever was cheaper. I rented a two-bedroom apartment for a total of two nights. My initial impressions of check-in were good. The check-in area was clean and looked nice. The staff were polite and helpful. I checked in, got my key card and went to my suite, which was in another building. I unlocked the main door with my key, then walked up the short flight of stairs and unlocked my door, again, with the key.

First impression: This is kinda nice. I mean, my expectations at that price range weren't great but it served the purpose for the needs of my trip in the city. There was a kitchen - basically everything I needed to prepare food for myself was there. In the same "room" as the kitchen was a sitting (room?) area. There were a few couches and a cable television. As I walked in the hallway, I found the main bedroom, which was really nice, the bathroom, which was clean, and the second bedroom, which was also nice. Since I can't live without my computer, I wondered how I could connect to the advertised free high-speed internet. I turned on my laptop and it found a few secured wireless networks from neighbors - no wireless I guess. I ran back to front desk and asked and they gave me an ethernet cable and told me to plug it into the wall in the kitchen/living room. It took me a minute to actually find the wall jack but once I did, I just plugged it in and plugged the other end into my laptop and had immediate access. The internet remained fast and reliable throughout my visit.

There is also a telephone in the living room and in the master bedroom, although the sticker on the telephone says even local calls are billed at $1.00 per call. A dollar for a local call? It would be cheaper to use my mobile phone. I did, however, end up making a few short local calls, along with a few short long distance calls and a few days after I left St. John's, I remembered that they just charged me for the long distance calls upon check-out (I expected to pay for them). Maybe the sticker was outdated or something, because upon check-out I told the clerk I made a few calls and she said that I owed like 30 cents. Alright, that's much better than $1.00 a call I guess.

At night I heard a few noises but it wasn't too bad. I slept comfortably in the double bed in the second bedroom while a family member slept in the master bedroom. Neither of us know if there was noise throughout the night after that, since we were sleeping, but if it didn't wake me up, it couldn't have been significant.

In conclusion, if you are looking for a relatively average-priced place to stay with the privacy of an apartment setting, Hillview Terrace Suites is a good choice - just make sure your rate is confirmed and don't always expect to pay the "starting at..." rates listed on the website, unless of course you are in the city for a medical reason.

• Liked — The price was good, the apartment was clean and had extras like cable TV, internet, etc.
  • Disliked — The location was average at best, the "starting at" pricing scheme that's medical-only.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank NeonTourist
ont canada
Reviewed August 6, 2008

Stayed here with a baseball team of 18 people. We had 3 - 2 bedroom deluxes and 1 - 3 bedroom deluxe. Not very many bells and whistles but the price was good and the place was clean. One thing that I have to comment on is put some damn handles on the drawers and cupboards in the kitchens! Other than that it was what we needed. Location is excellent. Right across the street from Tim Horton's and down the street from various fast food places.

• Liked — Full kitchen and living rooms
  • Disliked — Small beds and no drawer or cupboard handles
  • Stayed July 2008