“Excellent food and service”
Review of Black Sea Restaurant & Bar - CLOSED

Black Sea Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Newfoundland, Pennsylvania
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Was a little nervous to go to a new place but was pleasantly surprised. Better than I thought it would be. Only wish I had reserved the window table will next time. Had a corner table, it was private but next to the kitchen.
Had pan fried cod and the chef substituted the bacon sauce for a tomato vegetarian one so great of them!! My husband had the fish soup and halibut he said it was delicious also we shared a chocolate Napolean for dessert yummy.....don't get too excited about the fresh fruit with it...3 berries. Still good though. The service was impecable!!!

• Visited October 2013

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bad Server, bad food”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We went here for supper for my birthday in August and it was horrible. First of all, there were a few people with us who were vegetarian, so I had asked when I made my reservations if there would be options for them and I was told yes, the chef could make anything on the menu into a vegetarian option. However, when we got there, our waitress said there weren't any options and was very irritated with us. She went to the chef and came back with the option of 1 pizza from their lunch menu.

Also, throughout the night, the waitress rarely came by to see how we were doing and seemed quite irritated with any question or request we had.

When we got our food, I don't think anyone was satisfied with their meal.
I had something that was supposed to be pork stuffed with ham and cheese. It was a long log of tough meat with barely noticeable stuffing in it and it was served with only a potato salad made of still partially raw potatoes.

The girls with the pizza said it was ok, but nothing spectacular and nothing they would ever come back for.

Another girl had a steak shish-kabob which was as well just a massive amount of meat which was mediocre at best and I don't think hers even came with a side at all.. either way she wasn't very satisfied with it.

One girl had the salmon dish and I think she was the only person who wasn't completely disappointed with her meal, but still not super impressed.

I was really surprised with all this as it is owned by the same people who own Bistro Sofia and I LOVE bistro sofia.

Only upside to the bad experience was that I wasn't bloated full as I didn't eat much of my meal.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Bickk
Newfoundland
“Great Food! Great Service!”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We visited the Black Sea Restaurant on September 20th. and we thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The restaurant has a lovely atmosphere, the food is excellent and the service is great! There were four of us and we had a variety of appetizers, entrees and desserts - we were all impressed with our meals. The Shish kabob was amazing - very flavorful served with warm potato salad (which was delicious) and coleslaw. It is served on a long skewer on a wooden platter and the presentation was very impressive. The halibut (which was a daily addition) and pork tenderloin entrees were also delicious. Our first impression when we seen the menu was we would prefer the menu at Bistro Sofia, however the menu is very interesting, and the food is equally as delicious as the food at the Bistro. We really enjoy both restaurants and will visit both regularly!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank abbeylanepam
“A pleasant experience”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Yesterday, 3 Sep 2013, we (wife and I) made our first visit to the Black Sea Restaurant and Bar. I had a reservation, and our table was ready with menus, wine menu, and water poured. Our service throughout was competent and quick. Our server was a veteran of several restaurants around town, and knew her work well.

I had the bouillabaisse and my wife had the bean soup. Both were excellent. We then shared a mixed grill - all good, and the pork chop was large and excellently cooked.

I don't often have desert but I ordered and enjoyed the Chocolat Napoleon. All in all, a good experience. And not an extremely expensive experience, either, especially by the standards of other high-end St. John's restaurants.

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank John L
St. John's, Canada
“Great food ... would have loved the waitress to have come back to order dessert”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Food was very good, served quickly, excellent presentation.

It didn't have the extras I'd expect in a high priced restaurant e.g. breads; butters; samples of this or that, but being a tad overweight that was not necessarily a bad thing.

Then it is newly opened and staff training takes time. I will certainly be going back there.

Great atmosphere