“A pleasant experience”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Yesterday, 3 Sep 2013, we (wife and I) made our first visit to the Black Sea Restaurant and Bar. I had a reservation, and our table was ready with menus, wine menu, and water poured. Our service throughout was competent and quick. Our server was a veteran of several restaurants around town, and knew her work well.

I had the bouillabaisse and my wife had the bean soup. Both were excellent. We then shared a mixed grill - all good, and the pork chop was large and excellently cooked.

I don't often have desert but I ordered and enjoyed the Chocolat Napoleon. All in all, a good experience. And not an extremely expensive experience, either, especially by the standards of other high-end St. John's restaurants.

3  Thank John L

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Food was very good, served quickly, excellent presentation.

It didn't have the extras I'd expect in a high priced restaurant e.g. breads; butters; samples of this or that, but being a tad overweight that was not necessarily a bad thing.

Then it is newly opened and staff training takes time. I will certainly be going back there.

Great atmosphere

1  Thank Leonard C
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Friends recommended this new restaurant so we tried it out and while the food was very good the service was very slow. Enjoyed the deep fried feta, and the Basque chicken, others had a small plate of large mussels and the cod special which they very much enjoyed while a third person had the lamb which was a large portion which I was told was delicious. Though we were seated quickly and the place was not busy it took ages to get drinks, then to order, the apps came quickly but the mains took ages and the same with the bill.

2  Thank JBOTR
Reviewed August 21, 2013

As a #1 fan of Bistro Sophia, I couldn't wait to try Black Sea. I was pleasantly surprised to see some of the same amazing staff from their sister restaurant and to find out a favorite server is the manager. The meal was incredible. We had the salmon and braised beef. I was upset I couldn't try much of the beef dish because my bf gobbled it up so quickly. We had the feta appetizer and that was delicious as well. We don't go out for meals often, so this was well worth the night out. I can't wait to go again and try their lunch.

2  Thank poolen
Reviewed August 13, 2013

A good friend and I went out for a nice meal to catch up. We both had the cod and the salad and of course, Cheesecake. The cod was delicious, plenty of flavour, cooked to perfection. Salad was good, however my friend and I found the dressing too salty. Atmosphere was very nice. The service was just perfect! The young lady who served us was very attentive and friendly.
Would definitely recommend to others.

1  Thank Victoria H