“Solid food, good service, great location”

Saltwater Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 382 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Casual and comfortable dining, fresh seafood and happy hour tapas in the heart of downtown St.John's, Newfoundland.
Victoria, Canada
“Solid food, good service, great location”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We enjoyed our dinner-lunch at Saltwater. The waitress was personable and professional. The food was very good and nicely presented. It was in a convenient location on Duckworth, just East of the Anglican Cathedral. Price was a bit high but not unreasonable. One nice feature is that the front windows slide open so you have a sense of being outdoors without actually sitting out on the street. All in all, Saltwater is worth a visit.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank klimazz

Ottawa, Canada
“Delicious!”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My parents and I went to this restaurant and liked it so much that we came back the following day. Here's what was sampled on the first day: oysters, scallops, fish chowder, salmon and seafood risotto. It was all perfect. The service was exceptional. The second night, we added the fish paprikash soup, the cod tongues, the pan fried cod and the thyme chicken to the list of plates sampled and again, they were wonderful. The service was not quite as good as the night before (different waiter). The waiter was very nice and accomodating but a little bit forgetful. Still, we all liked him and it didn't hinder our enjoyment of the evening. The only thing that we didn't enjoy that we tasted there was the blueberry crepe-wrapped "cheesecake" which is less like cheesecake as it is cream cheese wrapped in a crepe.

I would definitely eat there again if I go back to St John's and I would recommend the place very strongly.

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank CanadianTraveler022
Ottawa
“Best Restaurant in Town”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We saw the write up for the "Saltwater" in an airline magazine and went there on our first evening in St. John's. It was splendid from start to finish. The lobster bisque and scallop appetizers were heavenly. A particularly outstanding main course was the rack of lamb and halibut plate! If you can, save room for dessert because the "puddings" are terrific. It is an expensive restaurant, but worth the money.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Bytown
Parrish, Florida
“Great first impression”
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

We walked in very late and had to check with the chef to make sure we could be seated. It worked out. We were seated on the second floor and the front was open. There was a nice breeze but the road is somewhat noisy. There is a candle on the table but it was lit later in the dinner. The highlighted specials all sounded great. The Lobster bisque was a little thin but the flovor was excellent!!!!! Most are too spicy for me. I had the fresh mussels as an entree and they were extremely fresh and perfectly prepared. My wife had the Pan fried Cod and it was incredible. This was all topped off by the most attentive waiter. Mitchell is the very best!!!! The dessert sounded amazing but we were full. We will likely go back later in the week.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Paul5776
“Excellent!”
Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Had lunch there recently with my wife. The food was superb! The server was there whenever we needed something but never hovered around us. Very professional. I recommend the Adriatico Salad. My wife ordered this as an appetizer but I think I ate more of it than she did (couldn't keep my fork off her plate) Then again, she ate the most of my mussels dish :)
I haven't been there for dinner but I recommend lunch Very highly.

• Visited June 2013