“A whale of a time”

Cape Spear Lighthouse
Ranked #2 of 96 things to do in St. John's
Reviewed August 27, 2011

While going to see the most easternly part of North America, I had the thrill of walking the rugged coastline and seeing the Atlantic Ocean up close.
The scenery is breath taking. It is quite the uphill hike to the top of the hill where the two lighthouses are but worth every step.
At the top of the hill, I looked down to the shore hundreds of feet away and saw the most incredible show of Humpback whales. There must have been close to thirty whales very close to the shore. I spent at least two happy hours whale watching.
This is a national park and does not charge admission. A short drive from St. John's and very enjoyable.

There are newer reviews for Cape Spear Lighthouse

Reviewed August 27, 2011

This is a beautiful location, lots of view points of the ocean, We wnt on 2 different days to take it all in, very worth while for the history, I did not know that it was used for a look out in the war, The gift shop needs some work, very limited items, you can get them a anywhere but the view is spectacular

Reviewed August 26, 2011

On a recent trip to Newfoundland, my husband, daughter and I drove out to Cape Spear. I had been several times in the past, but wanted to share it with them. It is an easy 20 minute or so drive from St. John's. Sadly, the day we went it was cold and blustery, but we still enjoyed the views from the most easterly point in Canada. While there we were also treated to the sight of 3 or 4 whales - close enough to know they were whales, but not as close as we might have liked. The staff at Cape Spear are very present and always eager to share their knowledge of the area with visitors. I would definitely include a visit if time allows. We stayed only a short time because of the cold weather, but in the past I have walked the paths and stayed much longer just to enjoy the view and watch for whales.

Reviewed August 15, 2011

The oldest operational lighthouse and the most Easterly point of North America is reason enough, but once you see the view it will take your breath away. Also talking your breath away is the number of stairs to get to the top, but its TOTALLY worth the climb.

Reviewed August 6, 2011

Cape Spear is an experience not to be missed while in St. John's. Similar to Signal Hill, there is some room to update the attraction. I would rate Cape Spear 4.5 if I could, but because I can't, I bumped it up based solely on pride. The breathtaking views, the ocean wildlife, especially the whales make Cape Spear a worthwhile experience. Located about twenty minutes from downtown, you can expect a windy experience to greet you as you will be the closest you can get to Europe in North America. You can get a stamp on a postcard stating that you were at Cape spear which, I found to be neat.

2  Thank tdsuperstar