“Definitely worth the Drive”

Cape Spear Lighthouse
Ranked #2 of 97 things to do in St. John's
Reviewed August 26, 2011

On a recent trip to Newfoundland, my husband, daughter and I drove out to Cape Spear. I had been several times in the past, but wanted to share it with them. It is an easy 20 minute or so drive from St. John's. Sadly, the day we went it was cold and blustery, but we still enjoyed the views from the most easterly point in Canada. While there we were also treated to the sight of 3 or 4 whales - close enough to know they were whales, but not as close as we might have liked. The staff at Cape Spear are very present and always eager to share their knowledge of the area with visitors. I would definitely include a visit if time allows. We stayed only a short time because of the cold weather, but in the past I have walked the paths and stayed much longer just to enjoy the view and watch for whales.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,863)

Reviewed August 15, 2011

The oldest operational lighthouse and the most Easterly point of North America is reason enough, but once you see the view it will take your breath away. Also talking your breath away is the number of stairs to get to the top, but its TOTALLY worth the climb.

Reviewed August 6, 2011

Cape Spear is an experience not to be missed while in St. John's. Similar to Signal Hill, there is some room to update the attraction. I would rate Cape Spear 4.5 if I could, but because I can't, I bumped it up based solely on pride. The breathtaking views, the ocean wildlife, especially the whales make Cape Spear a worthwhile experience. Located about twenty minutes from downtown, you can expect a windy experience to greet you as you will be the closest you can get to Europe in North America. You can get a stamp on a postcard stating that you were at Cape spear which, I found to be neat.

2  Thank tdsuperstar
Reviewed May 22, 2011

It doesn't take long to get to Cape Spear from St. John's and it is definitely worth the trip. The views of the coastal cliffs are phenomenal. The military ruins are crumbling and vandalized, which was disappointing. Visiting the most easterly point in North America is pretty majestic, and admiring Cabot Tower and Signal Hill from a different angle was spectacular as well. A must see if you're in St. John's and have a vehicle.

5  Thank al420997
Reviewed January 8, 2011

Cape Spear is about 20 kilometers outside St. John's and it is the most easterly point in North America. The drive out to Cape Spear is a bit of an adventure in itself.

While this is a tourist spot it is not really touristy. Yes there is a gift shop but this place is meant to come see not come shop. It is worthwhile spending an hour or two wandering the trails, taking in the view, watching for whales, seeing the old World War II guns, reading about the original and subsequent lighthouses, and imagining what life must have been like living here in the early 20th century. I can only imagine the isolation for the lighthouse keeper and his family.

If you're walking near the foghorn building and the foghorn is in operation I strongly recommend avoiding going directly in front of the building if you value your hearing. IT IS LOUD!

Be smart - obey the signs and stay within the safe areas. You could very easily die here doing something stupid. The ocean is not to be tempted.

I definitely recommend a visit. Bring your camera and a video camera. Parking is free. Washrooms are available near the parking area but not in the winter. This is a National Historic Site so you do need to pay admission to enter the lighthouse building.

8  Thank Gutch2