“Great atmosphere and food”
Review of Celtic Hearth

Celtic Hearth
Ranked #47 of 381 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Wonderful atmosphere and great food. You have not had fish and chips until you have tried them here!

There are newer reviews for Celtic Hearth

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Gorgeous downtown building with pub upstairs. The time and attention taken to restore this old building is very impressive. open 24 hrs! Brunch buffet consists of traditional Sunday dinner as well as breakfast favourites. Health choice offerings are abundant.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Lobster mac and cheese, people. Do i need to say more? The scallops are pretty damned good too.

Sure, your waitress may get a bit lost now and then, but yyou're probably not in a hurry if you're eating downtown. Relax. Enjoy.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

My friends and I planned on going out for some beer and a late dinner down town. If I had known before we entered that we would wait 10 minutes to be seated, have to get our own menus, and have an extremely rude server, I would have never step foot in the door. I do not recommend this establishment unless you want to serve yourself and be forgotten about on a Tuesday night.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

In my travels I had two people recommend, passionately, this restaurant. Especially for breakfast. Since the concept of a place being open for 24 hours a day, catering to the "night life" crowd who end their festivities with breakfast at 5 AM, was already familiar to me via the Magnolia Cafe in Austin, I figured this could be just the thing.

So I arrived, 7-ish and walked in to see someone sweeping the floor. I was no more than 2 feet from her, standing there, and she completely ignored me. Not sure if it was seat-yourself or not, I stooped down to get eye contact and said "Hi!" She ignored me and grunted.

To make matters worse, she was cleaning the bench seat cushions WITH THE BROOM SHE SWEPT THE FLOOR WITH!!!!! Totally oblivious to my watching her.

A waiter finally came and not wanting to make a scene I seated myself away from her and ordered. The portions were large, the waiter's service attentive. But I'd forgotten how much grease and butter go into a breakfast like this and was not able to finish it. Barring that, awesome stuff. Too bad less grease can't be used.

If the service had been worse I'd rate this place with one circle.

Like all things, one meal does not a complete failure make a restaurant but I know I would never return.