“Great location”

Murray Premises Hotel
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Spent two nights here, location good, can walk the entire downtown area from here. Hotel is in an old building, musty smelling downstairs. Our room on third floor excellent, comfortable bed, all amenities. Had problem with air conditioner that would not shut off, staff came to fix it and we ended up with both air and heat running all night long, but at least we did not freeze like first night. Very expensive, but that is Newfoundland! The harbour view is being taken away with new large building (think restaurants) under construction in front of hotel. Great staff! Breakfast pretty good, typical cold buffet.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kelly F, General Manager at Murray Premises Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay, I'm sorry about the glitch with the air conditioning unit...we've had our maintenance fix the issue with the unit. I'm glad you enjoyed the location, your room itself, breakfast and staff. We certainly hope we'll have a chance to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Not for those wanting to sleep past 7am ,at least until construction stops over the road ,which will be 2014 at least. A very ordinary experience ,including the breakfast. The service staff were nice,not particularly well informed--couldnt give driving instructions to Cape Spear 10 kms away ! !,Would definitely try the Sheraton next time .Curb appeal ,room size and views all better.

Room Tip: Noise can't be avoided ;waterfront has construction ,back of the hotel has the water street bar...
1  Thank Aston41
Kelly F, General Manager at Murray Premises Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback, I'm sorry the construction noise interfered with your stay. I'm glad you found our staff nice, we are training some new staff who just started with us and they are getting to know the city as well, so I'm sorry your questions may not have been answered promptly. The construction noise should decrease as the building will soon being moving inside to continue. Hopefully you'll give our hotel another try. Many thanks.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I am just returning from another great stay at Murray Premises Hotel. Wonderful, comfortable unique rooms filled with the charm of an historic building. Friendly, helpful staff and an absolutely prefect location for business or pleasure in the heart of downtown St. John's. Looking forward to my next stay!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TrinaBailey

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your wonderful comments, we are so glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

I had pretty high hopes for this hotel. My husband and I spent 10 days in Newfoundland, and while I would have preferred to stay in cottages/suites or B&B's the whole time, with our early flight home and not wanting to disturb other guests in a B&B, a hotel was the sensible choice for our last couple of nights in Newfoundland. Murray Premises is located close to everything we wanted to see in downtown St. John's, so it was a good choice at the time.

I had booked back in May, and after reading reviews here, requested for a room to be along the Harbour side, and if not possible, at the very least not facing Water Street as I'm a pretty light sleeper. Since I was given the option to book a "Queen Room" or "Queen Room - 4th Floor" online, I assumed that if I just chose "Queen Room", it meant that it would NOT be on the 4th floor. Imagine my surprise when we were given a room on the 4th floor. Yes, we were offered help to bring our luggage up, yet, that flight of stairs is still a bit of a hassle when you have a close to 50lb suitcase among other outdoor items--the one plus is I've had bad experiences with having loud neighbours above, and being on the 4th floor meant this wouldn't be a problem, so I didn't say anything.

We were given the corner room on the 4th floor, facing the Harbour. I was aware there's some construction going on from the reviews here, so no biggie that we really had no spectacular view. I appreciated that our room was probably a little bigger than some of the other 4th floor rooms, however, our bed was definitely NOT a queen! I would turn around and come face to face with my hubby...we have a queen bed at home and this is not the case. It was definitely a double bed...not a huge difference, but enough to notice (and combined with other things I will mention below, resulted in poor to average sleep quality).

My thoughts on the room in general: The exposed slanted beams give the room a sort of charm, which we liked. We're both pretty average in height so running into beams wouldn't have been a problem unless we made a point in doing so...not sure about some of the other complaints on here (are people 7 feet tall?) The room is dark, yes, but having a corner unit meant we had one or two extra windows compared to most other units on the floor, which we also liked. Unfortunately, I felt that the bed sheets and bathroom were pretty outdated. That is fine if it's any other hotel, but...when claiming to be "boutique", I did expect a little more. The comforter felt...old and dusty and I wasn't comfortable using it. The bathroom decor left a lot to be desired...and the two steps up required to get into the tub would definitely be a concern for older guests (not us, however). The towel warmer was a luxurious idea, but it really didn't work that well--plus then I started thinking about all the bacteria that could be blowing onto my towels along with the hot air--I tried it once and never used it again.

Noise: While being on the top floor does have a huge plus over other floors, I could still periodically hear my next door neighbour either on the phone, or having a conversation with someone else in the room. That made me very conscious of how loud we were talking, how loud we had the TV (although it wasn't very loud), and how loud we were walking, for consideration of other guests below. At night, the mini fridge in our room would have this high pitched ringing/humming that would cut in and out, which was very annoying especially for our last night...when I was half awake it actually sounded like an alarm ringing and it startled me a few times. I was very close to unplugging the fridge for this reason. Finally, despite being away from Water Street, I could still hear music coming from the bars one night. I could only imagine what it was like for guests on the other side of the hotel!

Overall, I was not that excited about our stay here, especially having arrived back in St. John's from a 4-night stay in some very amazing accommodations around the Gros Morne area. Murray Premises was better than some other hotels than we've stayed at, but it wasn't anything to write home about. Again, if we had a later flight, I probably would have chosen a B&B over a hotel, and at the time of booking I wanted something unique so I decided to stay here vs. a chain like the Delta or Sheraton. Yes, the room itself was unique but everything else was just so-so. The staff was friendly, but we only dealt with them during check-in and check-out (I should mention that housekeeping was good too). I would probably stay elsewhere when we come back to St. John's in the future.

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments, we appreciate your feedback. I'm sorry your stay was disappointing, I'm glad you enjoyed the location and found our front desk and housekeeping staff good. I'm not sure if you discussed any of your concerns with our team as we would have moved you to another room to resolve some of your issues. Firstly I want to assure you there are no rooms with a double mattress in the hotel, they were all removed a couple of years ago (at which time we had 5 of them). Issues such as noise with your fridge could have been resolved quickly as there is always a spare fridge on site. As all of our rooms are unique, hopefully you'll give us another chance and try another room in the hotel. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Murray premises are in a great location, very walkable to many sights in St. John's. Parking is ample, rooms were spacious and very comfortable.
There is a continental breakfast is served every morning,upstairs however the main restaurant was under renovation.

Dear Guest
Many thanks for your comments, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay. I wanted to clarify, the restaurant being renovated is a new independent restaurant which will soon be opened, however, The Gypsy Tea Room is another independent restaurant which is accessible through the hotel as well.
Many thanks,

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Located on the waterfront of St. John's harbour, in the heart of the historic town, Murray Premises Hotel is a tasteful renovation of old industrial buildings. The exposed beams and extensive use of wood in the interior of the hotel tell a story, as do the dormer windows in many rooms. Absolutely modern and luxurious appointments in the hotel rooms (shower, jacuzzi tub, heated towel rods, wing back chairs) as well as the location in the center of the pub and restaurant district encourage repeat visits.

Room Tip: Views of the harbour or the town
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Kelly F, General Manager at Murray Premises Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your wonderful comments. We are delighted you enjoy the old world charm with our modern, luxury amenities. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I use Murray Premises Hotel for all my Corporate Bookings. The staff and management of Murray Premises are friendly, reliable and very accommodating. They always find a way to help me out even when they are at capacity. The location is perfect, the rooms are clean and beautiful, the beds are like sleeping on a cloud and their complimentary breakfast is just what you need before starting your long day of business meetings. Definitely my top choice in the city and would highly recommend this to anyone visiting St. John's, you won't be disappointed!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank J_Downton

Dear Guest,
Thanks so much for taking the time to post your comments. We certainly appreciate your business and are happy to hear that you enjoy working with us and enjoy the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you and your colleagues back to our hotel. Many thanks,