“Disappointing”

Murray Premises Hotel
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Was there a week ago. Stayed 3 nights. Rated a 31/2 star. I would rate it closer to a 3 star. Walls very thin so you can hear people nearby, especially on the floor above. Beds did not have duvet covers rather blankets and bedspreads. Dimly lit room. Breakfast very disappointing. Rates not worth the quality of that stay. Staff was very quick to a complaint we had about the smell in our bedroom so we were thankful.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Kelly F, General Manager at Murray Premises Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry your stay did not meet your expectations. I want to assure you all of our guestrooms have duvets and duvet covers, we do not use bedspreads, I'm sorry for the confusion. If you have a minute to email me, I'd certainly like to know what part of our breakfast you didn't enjoy, as we try to keep our breakfast well stocked with fresh muffins, bagels, breads, cereals, fresh fruit, yogurt, boiled eggs, juices, tea and coffee. We advertise a deluxe continental breakfast, unfortunately we are unable to provide a hot breakfast.
We're glad you enjoyed the location.
Many thanks for your feedback.

Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 1/2 days for a business trip and happened to be here during the George Street Festival. The location of the hotel is fantastic and allows you to walk everywhere which I loved. Great restaurants and shopping nearby and no shortage of food and drink options. The rooms and hotel in general are in very bad need of a renovation and appear very dated. This impacts then overall value of the stay and the rate charged becomes unjustified because of this. Rooms are dark and the hotel has a musty smell. Service is good.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank ForeverMexico
Kelly F, General Manager at Murray Premises Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments, I'm glad you enjoyed the location and found the service good. You mentioned you were here on business, I'm not sure if you were here under a corporate rate, as our corporate rates are very much comparable to other hotels, with the advantage of a complimentary breakfast, parking, wi-fi and bottled water. I'm not sure if you travel into town often as we'd be pleased to look at setting up corporate rates with you. The building is 167 years old, while we try to maintain the charm, we've certainly done our best to modernize it, and have done many renovations over the years. All of our duvets in our rooms are fairly new along with carpets, and our furniture is all custom made. As all of our rooms are different and unique, hopefully you'll give us another chance to try another room or area of the hotel. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We loved this hotel. It has the best location for downtown St. John's. It is a very old warehouse, I believe, completely modernized with all the comforts that you would expect. But the rooms still maintain the exposed beams and posts of the original architecture. As do the common areas. It is so unique for this reason - no hotel that we have stayed in is quite like it. We were greeted immediately upon arrival by Adam. We arrived at 1:30PM and our room was ready. In fact, we had been upgraded! The room was huge, with a double whirlpool jacuzzi, a huge walk in shower, electric fireplace with TV mounted above it. Adam answered all our questions about activities we wanted to do in and around St. John's. All other staff that we encountered were also very friendly. The 2 other things that made this hotel special were the free parking, right outside the main entrance, and the continental breakfast. The breakfast was served in a large, very pleasant room, on the second floor, which is the floor our room was on. The selection was more than adequate, with all that you could expect for a continental breakfast, and some items I have not seen - like cheese, hard boiled eggs, etc. I overheard a guest ask if he could have fried eggs, and the hostess went in the back and prepared some for him without question. This was above and beyond as far as I am concerned, and I am not suggesting that people do this, as I don't believe it is fair to the hotel. I point it out to show the high level of service and professionalism of this establishment. In short, I will recommend Murray Premises Hotel to anyone visiting St. John's. And there is no doubt that, should we return, that I will not look anywhere else - Murray Premises it is!

Room Tip: I loved our room on the second floor, looking out to the harbour. But be aware that there is constr...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John H

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your wonderful comments. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and found our stay helpful...I've certainly passed along your comments to Adam, he's been with us for over 6 years and it's easy to tell he loves he's job. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Great boutique hotel right downtown. Close to all the main shopping and eating areas (George St., Water St.). A touch expensive but breakfast was included making the price a bit more cost effective. Large rooms - clean and well appointed.

Room Tip: no sense getting a harbour view room since construction is underway - bit noisy and view is spoiled...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments, we're glad you enjoyed the location and rooms, we look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

I booked a room for a week at this hotel because it was rated #1 on tripadvisor. If this is #1 I would not want to see the others. Other than a nice idea - a converted warehouse - and a good location, this hotel leaves a lot to be desired. I was given a room on the 4th floor in the main building but the elevator only goes to the 3rd floor, so one then has to trudge up a flight of stairs in a stairwell that is the temperature of a sauna bath. The room was nice but nothing remarkable. I found it very difficult to get in and out of the fancy bathtub; luckily I was able to hold onto the door and the shower curtain rod. The towel warmer might be nice in winter, but totally unnecessary in summer. I would rather have had a mirror that I could actually use. I would question how a man could shave using that mirror. And why put the bed under the smoke alarm? the light from the smoke alarm was almost sufficient to read by and kept me up at night.
I found the service average to poor. Housekeeping did not even make sure that everything in the room was working. The breakfast was very disappointing and the staff were busy chatting loudly in the back room rather than making sure there was enough coffee etc. The mat at the front entrance to the hotel was never straight or cleaned the whole week I was there. The Gypsy Tea Room uses the courtyard which makes for noisy evenings until quite late. And although the hotel is supposed to have a view of the harbour, this is no longer applicable as a building is being constructed right across from the hotel.
Definitely not worth the price.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the top floor and not facing the courtyard
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Kelly F, General Manager at Murray Premises Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry your stay did not meet your expectations. I'm not sure if you communicated your concerns with our front desk, as we try to accommodate those who are not happy with their particular room. Our 4th floor rooms are unique, some people love them as they are on the top floor. Unfortunately due to the architectural design of the building the elevator does not go to the top floor.
The Courtyard restaurant operated by Gypsy Tea Room is opened during good weather until 10 pm at night, I'm sorry you were inconvenienced by the noise, I'm not sure if a window was opened in the hallway as you mentioned you were on the harbour side.
We'd certainly like the opportunity to ensure your next stay is much better and ask that you contact me personally should your travels find you back this way again.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed for a few days in June bookending a car tour of Newfoundland. Lovely building, wood beams and exposed ceilings everywhere. Comfortable beds, lovely bathroom shower facilities, even towel warmers.

But...

With the charm of old buildings come weaknesses. On the first visit, we paid top $ for a long, beautiful room with a jacuzzi and a view of the harbour.

Problem 1: Instead of promised view, we had a lovely view of the three story restaurant being built directly in front of the harbour. You could see water if you looked out one edge of the window and through the steel beams, I suppose. Would have been better to be upfront about that when i booked the room, hotel-folks.I get you're likely not happy about the construction, but don't let it be a surprise for your guests.

Problem 2: Really old buildings don't block sound very well. Heard every word of every conversation from the room above us. Normal volume voices, too. Sure, exposed wood is lovely,but surely some middle ground on noise buffering can be found When I complained about this at the front desk, I was told 'that's just the way the building was constructed, I guess". .

So, for our second stay on our way home, we asked to be switched to the 'newer" wing, Sound there still carried somewhat, but was not an issue. And while the washroom was still lovely, the room was unremarkable, and was the size of a standard room at the delta or the Sheridan, only $100 more expensive.

It wasn't terrible. it wasn't great. It ended up being a very expensive average stay. Not doing it again, I think.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Kelly F, General Manager at Murray Premises Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry we didn't have the chance to discuss your concerns while you were here. I'm sorry your stay did not meet your expectations. The size of the new restaurants being built has been a surprise to us as we didn't realize we were losing our harbour view from some of our rooms. I'm sorry the communication was not made when you made the reservation, our intention is not to hide the fact there is a restaurant being built from our guests or that it is blocking our view from some rooms, I'm sorry if you were not made aware when you requested a harbour view. Our entire system has changed because of the new construction, we no longer have harbour views as an option when booking to ensure there is no disappointment.

I'm sorry you didn't find our east wing satisfactory, many of our repeat guests love our east wing as the bathrooms are so big and some rooms offer the exposed rock walls which is original to the building. I'm glad you enjoyed the amenities offered in the rooms.

We are trying to address the noise transfer between rooms in some areas, trying to maintain the buildings heritage with exposed beams has posed a challenge in some rooms, but we are working on it.

Should your travels find you to St. John's again, I ask you contact me personally to help make your next stay more enjoyable.
Regards

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We splurged and stayed here on the last night of our recent trip to Newfoundland. We wanted to be right downtown and by the waterfront. The hotel is a beautiful old warehouse that has been converted into a hotel, complete with exposed beams in the halls and rooms. It was great to stay in such a unique hotel. Parking is really convenient. The only issue we had was with the air conditioning in the room, which was not at all cold. We were on the third floor and the room was really hot when the bellhop took us up. She cranked the a/c up but it didn't make much difference. I saw a bellhop delivering a fan to another room so called the front desk and they had one to us within a few minutes. Very prompt.

The hotel is close to the George Street bars if that's what you're looking for. It's walking distance to lots of restaurants downtown, but it's unfortunately losing part of its harbour view as a new restaurant is being built between it and the harbour, but it's still literally a 1 minute walk until you're beside the huge ships tied up in the harbour. Fun spot to stay in St John's!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wloo_andrew

Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your comments, we apologize for the glitch that evening with the air conditioning unit, I'm glad our staff was prompt to bring you a fan.
I'm glad you enjoyed the location and the hotel, we look forward to your next visit.