“Amazing experience”

Raymonds Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Raymonds Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 373 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Canadian, International
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Vancouver, Canada
“Amazing experience”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I booked the table from Vancouver a month in advance knowing its popularity. From start to finish, it's understandable that En Route Magazine recently named Raymond's Canada's Best New Restaurant 20011 (http://enroute.aircanada.com/en/articles/canada-s-best-new-restaurants-2011/page:11).

The restaurant itself is beautiful, elegant nearly 100-yr old building on Water Street. The decor is traditional with a modern twist. I loved the little details - the door stops are small farm animals; there 2 large oil paintings in the main dining room hang on ornate wallpaper under modern chandeliers. The staff were all attentive, lovely and unpretentious in their professionalism.

We started with cocktails in the bar. I tried the house special which was a martini that had cucumber 'pearls' - small roe-sized drops of cucumber. Very fresh.

My friend and I shared everything and ordered all the specials our server recommended because they sounded so good. For appetizers, we shared the 2 Fresh Hand Crafted Pasta dishes on special - moose ravioli and pappardelle with rabbit. I can't recall the preparation or sauce, but they were both lovely. We carried on with lamb and special halibut to share for our main courses. Exquisite. For desert, we shared a chocolate fondant and carrot cake. The chocolate ruled!

I opted for the wine pairing for appetizers and mains and ordered a port to accompany my dessert. The sommelier paired a 2-oz pouring for each dish and delivered each one with a description of his choice. The wine pairing is a great idea to try a few different wines and to complement each dish.

The meal was expensive by St. John's standards, but it was worth every penny. I would highly recommend Raymond's for that special night out.

• Visited October 2011

• Hebrew first
Toronto, Canada
“Pricey but fantastic”
Reviewed November 14, 2011

My husband and I had a special occasion to celebrate and we chose Raymond's. Everybody was on their game from the time we entered until we said goodbye. We went with the chef's menu and wine tasting which was spectacular. We tried combinations which were unique and unlikely to work in my mind until I tried them and was astonished with the result. Hats off to Chef Jeremy Charles and Jeremy Bonia who have achieved a great product in a city with very good dining for it's size. Our favorite restaurants are Raymond's, Blue On Water and Basho in that order.

• Visited November 2011
Syracuse, Italy
“Michelin Worthy In the Middle of the Atlantic”
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Amazing. French influenced without the nonscense. nothing lacking in service, food is outstanding and the price is worth every penny. After eating in a number of 3 and 2 star restaurants, this one is a gem in a beautiful province.....almost makes it worth the trip there.

• Visited September 2011
toronto
“elegant decor,fabulous menu and wine lists,impeccable service”
Reviewed October 28, 2011

I loved Raymonds and have eaten at many many fine dining restaurants worldwide.Pricing is only high if your not used to paying that amount for that level of service and food. with cocktails,bottle of reasonably priced wine,first course,mains and dessert,after dinner drink and coffee,dinner was $250.00 for two plus an amuse bouche.
Our wait staff was friendly and knowledgeable and sommelier paired a great wine and when he realized he had run out of that wine he offered a more expensive bottle for the same lower price.
I had the rabbit papardelle,and cornish hen.my guest had the moose ravioli and rib eye steak,carrot cake for dessert.All excellent.
I would definitetly recommend Raymonds for any occasion

• Visited October 2011
2 Thank unahthefoodie
St. John's, Canada
“Great but expensive food and awkward service.”
Reviewed October 11, 2011

I have to say I was really disappointed with my experience at Raymond's. I had high hopes and I expected a lot given the price point. The food was great, once it actually arrived three hours after I ordered it, but too pricey. I could get food just as good elsewhere for half the price and with better service. The wait staff were awkward - never around when you wanted them and in the way when you didn't. I declined an alcoholic beverage at one point and was never asked again throughout the rest of the meal. There was such a delay in the food and no reason, apology or even bread was given to compensate.

• Visited December 2010