“And now for something entirely different!”

J Korean Restaurant
Ranked #76 of 384 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Asian, Korean
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 23, 2012

totally enjoyed a great meal and appreciate the self effacing interested service
unusual flavorings - loved the red pepper tastes
all kinds of little different bowls with salads and condiments
oh so good - will be coming back!
need another choice of wine other than Chardonnay - disappointing

1  Thank GoodFood&Drink

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I went to this restaurant with someone who lives in a more remote part of province and had specifically wanted to try this restaurant, having heard good things.

We agreed to order different dishes and share to try as much as we could. I placed my order and dining companion placed hers, ordering 6 main course dishesQueen Latifah in Last Holiday?) The waitress cautioned that it was a lot of food but when my companion explained she wanted to try everything and then take the leftovers with her, they came up with a great solution. They brought out the dishes one by one so each would be freshly prepared. Then took them away and packaged.

It was a really fun evening thanks to an accomodating staff who turned our meal into a true dining experience. ( I was also advised that the food taken home reheated fantastically and was thoroughly enjoyed by others who live in an area not well serviced with restaurants!)

Highly recommend for not only the great food but the service as well. Note for those considering going here with picky eaters. I would look at the menu online first. It is a lovely place, but not for someone who cannot be least slightly adventurous in their dining due to health or preferences. I just don't think it would be fun for them. Everyone else, I think it is definitely worth a visit!

2  Thank girlheartsfood
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I almost walked right by J, since the door sits up fairly high off the street, but I am glad the posted menu was there to attract my attention. J is a very warm and friendly place with an excellent Korean menu. Many surprising little extras are served along with dinner, in my case a tasty little dish of potato salad and some bean broth, along with little bowls of kimchee, potatoes and peppers. The one less than top note was the steamed dumplings, which were a little soft and lower in flavor than I expected. The stew of cabbage and vegetables and little strips of meat was outstanding though. Service was pleasant, quiet and efficient.

1  Thank dch46
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I've been getting take-away for my family from J Korean since they opened. Consistency is very important in a good restaurant and J Korean has always prepared high-quality dishes for us. It aggravates me to no end when a restaurant becomes popular and then alters the portions or contents of their menu to keep up with high demand from new patrons. J Korean has met the demand from more and more patrons without diminishing the quality of its products, and that is why I keep coming back. On top of that, there are lovely people who run this place that will bend over backwards to meet the needs of their customers. I will be a regular customer here as long as I live in St. John's

3  Thank WanderingCanadian_11
Reviewed July 20, 2012

The first time I went to this restaurant, I was impressed with the food (Samgyupsal was Samgyupsal), unimpressed with the prices and annoyed by the terrible choice in background music - annoying KPop definitely does not suit the atmosphere and decor.
I was there again a few days ago and was very disappointed with the food. The "samgyupsal" was nothing but strips of bacon. The "Soon tofu Jjigae" was watered down and fairly tasteless. The music had changed from annoying kpop to a boring, sombre classical type of music which definitely brought the mood down. Something in between perhaps?
Overall, the staff are friendly, the food is WAY overpriced, the decor is cheesy, the music is bad and the food is inconsistent.