“Read the menu first, Eating Bar (lol)”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Chinched Bistro

Chinched Bistro
Ranked #22 of 371 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff
Description: Chinched Bistro offers a creative dining experience with a focus on hand crafted gourmet food prepared with traditional preservation techniques, sustainable methods and whole animal butchery. Attention to detail, casual atmosphere, thoughtful wine and drink lists and creative menu offerings are prepared and executed by a very dedicated team at Chinched.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Read the menu first, Eating Bar (lol)”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

We booked a table here before a concert, they told me it was in the "Eating Bar", well apparently Eating Bar means 2 neglected, falling apart tables in the back corner of the bar. Service was not great, we had to ask what the specials were, anyway long story short the menu didn't appeal to us at all, not a single thing I would order. we left without so much as a drink.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Sova888

Canada
“Once again: superb, happy and professional”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

Now this is a place where I feel good about spending money! Greeted professionally, but friendly and swift. A nice atmosphere, surrounded by other, happy guests. Always love the homemade bread to start a meal here, Yummy. I had a Nettle Bisque with Orange and Truffle, and would rate it as one of the best soups in my Life so far! Followed by a handmade pasta dish with Lobster, very very tasty. This was just a quick meal in between appointments, but I can't wait for the next time I am able to return. Attentive, knowledgeable service staff, totally unpretentious. Owners always visible, fun chefs there as well. What a Gem!

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Ocea_nixe3
Berkshire, UK
“We enjoyed it, but not perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

An early dinner on a Saturday with the place already getting busy. Its informal and casual though the food has a touch of originality, and between us we ate tuna ceviche, salmon with veal cheek, nettle soup, and cod wrapped in a fine potato string. The only thing that didn't work were inedible croutons with my wife's cod , and hey, they were hard! Good service, rather expensive, even if it was one of the better meals of our Newfoundland trip.

1 Thank DavidHBerkshire_UK
Texas
“Good Food, Long Wait”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

For a small restaurant the wait to receive one's meal is very long. From start to finish it took about two hours and we did not have dessert. I guess this is par for the course in St. John's but it does get annoying when spending a lot of money on a meal.

We sat at the window that overlooks the intersection of George Street & Queen Street and was directly across from the Cotton Club (the all nude strip club) so the atmosphere was "interesting" to say the least. The chairs weren't very comfortable so waiting as long as we did was a bummer for me. At least we had the "entertainment" across the street.

The homemade bread is very good but they literally only give one slice per person -- one slice!!! I guess they don't want people to fill up on bread but if they have to wait that long they should be given more than one slice.

We had several waitresses so that was a bit confusing. For our appetizer we shared the tuna ceviche ($14). It took about an hour to arrive but it was very good and presently nicely. We also had the mixed olives ($8) which weren't too salty and had a nice flavor.

My for entree I had the fresh lobster & homemade cavatelli (pasta) for $30. Honestly this was a great deal especially considering how big the portion was and how much lobster was in the meal. It was very tasty, fresh and filling. My spouse had the seared tuna ($35) which was fresh and thoroughly enjoyed.

The food was savory and presented well but I do wish it didn't take so long to come out.

The restaurant is on the second floor (the bar is on the first floor and is very small) and I didn't see any elevator in the small restaurant so be prepared to climb a flight of stairs to get to your table.

I only had water but my spouse had to pints of beer ($7.50 each which is not cheap).

Overall we enjoyed our food but the wait and the uncomfortable chairs were the reasons I only gave this restaurant four stars instead of five.

Halifax, Canada
“Over an hour to get a fair overpriced meal”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

I guess the highlight of this place is the home made bread. Had to wait over an hour for a greasy but tasty lamb shank, with the occasional gust of warm greasy air wafting up from an under-fanned kitchen. would not go back

2 Thank greg a