“Amazing Newfoundland food”

Chinched Bistro
Ranked #23 of 373 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff
Description: Chinched Bistro offers a creative dining experience with a focus on hand crafted gourmet food prepared with traditional preservation techniques, sustainable methods and whole animal butchery. Attention to detail, casual atmosphere, thoughtful wine and drink lists and creative menu offerings are prepared and executed by a very dedicated team at Chinched.
St. John's, Canada
“Amazing Newfoundland food”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Had a simply brilliant dinner and Chinched. The food is fresh, unpretentious, local, and delicious, and the service is friendly, lively, and warm. If you want to try local flavours beautifully cooked with a touch of class I recommend this place. Not cheap, but great for a night out where you want something a bit speacial,

Visited October 2012
2 Thank MaryTNZ

Calgary
“Delicious and affordable...nothing short of a treat!”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

For the confused, "chinched" means you are full. "The food at Chinched was so delicious, that I can't eat another bite. I'm chinched!"

I was concerned when I heard the restuarant was off St. George's street, so I was expecting some pub food, but I couldn't have been further wrong. The food is delicious and very reasonably priced (expect $35 per entree) with very reasonable portions. The cheese plate had cheese prepared and made by one of staff!

The service is warm and friendly, and perhaps a bit more on the casual side. The restaurant is located in a charming little house that is quite comfortable although a bit small. This is a restaurant to go to if you want to wear jeans and be relaxed while enjoying tasty food. You are then conveniently close to Christian's where you can get screeched in.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank lynnister
Pickering
“Friendly service food ok”
Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

I was very surprised to discover that the dining room is on the second floor. A problem for those of us with mobility issues. Parking is also a big problem.

That said the food was nicely presented but didn't have a lot of flavor and was not as nice as meals I've had elsewhere in St. John's. Three of us were seated at a small table which was quite crowded when the oversized plates arrived.

Service was friendly, but not attentive. I had to search out cream for my coffee and pepper.

For the price I was disappointed

1 Thank 1retiredlibrarian
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A unique experience !”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

My boyfriend and I ate here late evening on a Friday night to celebrate his birthday! The staff were very friendly and accommodating, I requested a specific table and it was waiting for us upon our arrival. The food was very different and well prepared. We did not leave hungry. It is a small space in the upstairs dining area, but it makes for a more quaint atmosphere. Air Conditioning would be nice, as it did get a little warm. Overall at pleasant evening and dining experience.
I would definitely recommend this place!

1 Thank Funnysycamore
St. John's, Canada
“Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My son's birthday so he picked Chinched. We had been there shortly after it opened and we wern't impressed, it was like they were trying too hard to be uber cool. I didn't really want to go back but it was his call. I am glad we did! we were pleasantly surprised, the food was inventive and quite well presented and prepared, from the squid ink pasta to the skirt steak main everything was well received and delicious. We will be back!

• Visited August 2012