“I wish my room didn't smell like pee”

Quality Hotel Harbourview
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed March 11, 2009

The hotel is okay. Restaurant is good. No frills rooms in need of some help (ie the corner by the desk smells like pee) Room 310. I should have complained but am too busy to move rooms.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank RobbieMac71
Managercn246, Manager at Quality Hotel Harbourview, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2009

Sir,

I must apologise for your recent experience. I have never had it said that our rooms smell of pee and your comment comes as a great shock. Recently we were the recipient of the Choice Hotels International Gold Award for standards and cleanlinesss and this is something we pride ourselves in. I do wish you had informed us during your stay as we would have investiaged the issue and endeavoured to rectify the situation immediately. If you wish to discuss the issue further, please don't hesitate to contact the hotel and I will be delighted to do so. I do hope your recent experience has not discouraged you from staying with us in the near future.

Jane Kingston
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed February 7, 2009

I stayed 2 nights at the Quality Hotel on business,; this was my second visit to the hotel in the last couple of years. Overall I think the hotel is a good choice if you are looking for a location near the center of town and looking for a good price.

The room was a fairly decent size with a comfortable double bed, TV, coffee machine, desk to work on and a small soft. The rooms are slightly tired however they were clean. Also the hotel has free internet which is nice as I always hate paying $10 per day for internet.

The checkin staff were helpful, and more than willing to gather some information for me when I needed. On the day I left there was heavy snow and they helped me by looking up details on flights and holding a room for me if I needed to come back due to a cancellation.

The hotel has a small restaurant which is actually rather good, has a good choice of "American" style dinner and breakfast food and I never had any problems with the quality of any of the food.

Overall a good stay.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Fingermouse
Reviewed August 2, 2008

Stayed in this hotel for two nights, Aug 1 & 2, 2008. Hotel is clean, room was clean, close to downtown and reasonably priced for the downtown area.

We booked online using the Hotel Chain's website and didn't notice that the room I booked was a smoking room until a week before arrival, I was able to call in advance to ensure a non-smoking room.

When I checked in, the clerk advised me that I might have been able to get a cheaper rate if I called the hotel directly, instead of booking online. So I would suggest giving them a call to see if they have a better rate.

Overall, very impressed with the hotel and staff.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HammerBigTiime
Reviewed April 2, 2008

Booking hotels on the internet is always a "crap shoot".
The Quality in St. John's was a welcome surprise.
The room was very comfortable and appointed well. The view, as requested in advance, was worth the call. Watching the harbour activity sure beat the alternatives.
I found all the staff friendly and helpful.
Restaurant food, service, and prices were excellent.
Televisions could be up-dated but I only feel that way because of some miserable weather that kept me inside.
I recommend the Quality Hotel Harbourview.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank yvanc
Reviewed November 6, 2007

My wife and I recently stayed at the Quality Hotel in St John's. We were on holiday and had planned to stay only 1 night on our trip up the west coast. From the moment we entered the hotel we were greeted so warmly and even the housekeeping staff were pleasant and asked if we needed any assistance with our luggage!! On Check out the following morning we were again greeted by a bubbly and helpful receptionist. She said it was a pity we had only stayed one night and hadn't time to see all the sites-she made it sound so appealing-we decided there and then to stay another night. She provided us with all maps and directions and it has to be said we had a really marvellous day. We hadn't realized how close to downtown the hotel is-everything is within walking distance.

The hotel accommodation is spotless and has free wireless and local phone calls, they even have a choice of newspapers at the front desk!

Overall this hotel was excellent value for money and the staff ensure that your stay will be one to be remembered-Newfoundland hospitality as it s best.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank ronbev
Reviewed September 11, 2007

My husband and I recently stayed a night at this hotel when we went to see The Tragically Hip in concert at Mile One. We were very pleased with the service. When I booked I had mentioned that we were recently married. When we arrived at the hotel, the lady at the front desk upgraded our double room to a queen with a harbour view for the same price! I was very excited. Although the water was gone when we got there because of a water pipe that had broken in the area, we were notified and received two apologies for the disruption in service (one message left on our phone and a note slid underneath our door). The staff did the best they could to accomodate the people who were having problems with no water from what I saw at the front desk. Even though there wasn't much they could do. The water outage only lasted an hour or so. At any rate....we enjoyed the stay. The pillows were AMAZING! The view was fabulous. There was NO noise whatsoever. The price was a little expensive, but for the location (so close to Mile One and George St), we really couldn't complain. Especially after she upgraded us with no extra charge. Soo...I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wanted to stay downtown and wanted peace and quiet...and a good night out without having to pay a lot of money for a cab back to their accommodations.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank NewfieTravellersPP
Reviewed April 23, 2007

Awesome view Harborside on the 6th floor...

Comfortable, smaller rooms and good service as you would come to expect staying in Newfoundland. Probably a little expensive for the price, but the view of the harbor is awesome and worth the price.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business