“Did well in a pinch...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Quality Hotel Harbourview

Quality Hotel Harbourview
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in St. John's
Quesnel, Canada
“Did well in a pinch...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2011

We found ourselves needing a hotel for two nights while a large convention was going on in the city, so didn't have a lot of options. This place was expensive considering the lack of amenities (pool, breakfast), but we did have a great view of the harbour so the location couldn't have been better. The bed was comfortable and the room clean. The parking was convenient and free. Lots of stores and restaurants within walking distance...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Richard P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

The restaurant has a decent view and a decent menu. The rooms are pretty good. If they'd update other standard amenities, they'd be one of the best in the city. Parking is crowded, and it can be a little difficult to swing in there from the Hill O'Chips in the winter. But this place is a nice little base for a visit to St. John's and area.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Buchans79
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

We stayed at this hotel on a recent trip to St. John's. The hotel is clean, well kept, and the service was great. The property is located within walking distance from the harbour, downtown, George Street, and Signal Hill.

For a great bite to eat, cross the street to Caines Market. They have great home made traditional food at very cheap prices.

1 Thank CdotM
St. John's, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

This was a mixed trip of business and vacation. Overall the place wasn't the best, we had some issues which were an inconvenience and we got past it.

This was my first visit to this hotel and was due to unforeseen circumstances that I chose it. I had booked two rooms online, one for my family and one for the Mother-in-law. When I checked in I told the desk clerk that the other room would be checking in shortly as they were about 15 min behind us on highway. Come to find out later that when she arrived, they told her there was no room booked for her. It took the desk clerk 10 minutes to find the room, despite being given the exact name it was under. Then there was an issue with them not getting the seniors discount. Unsure what the problem or resolution was there so cant speak to that much.

Upon getting to our room we discovered the fridge I had pre-requested was there. We had a baby with us and needed to store milk, so that was a plus that they provided one. The rooms don't come with a fridge apparently... so heads up there. The rooms are smaller then most places which was most noticeable once you setup your luggage on the racks. It gets cramped in there fairly quick and we couldn't keep the stroller inside as there was no where to put it. Had to keep it in hallway until we went to bed. If we needed a cot, there would have been no place to set it up for sure. The room had a noticeable odor. I could not place the smell but my best guess was that it was due to an old room with poor ventilation and dirty AC unit. All providing for high humidity. We had to keep our window and door open for a few hours to vent the place. It was reported to the front desk, they indicated housekeeping would take care of it but when they showed up they gave us towels and indicated there was nothing really they can do about it. The Mother-in-laws room also smelled, however theirs almost seemed like it used to be a smoking room, or someone recently smoked ALOT in it. The carpet appeared dirty and had numerous stains, which may have contributed to the smell ( See photos ). Noteworthy was the fact that the lobby appeared to have a strong odor at times as well, similar to the rooms, so maybe they have an overall air quality problem. The air in the hotel always seemed humid and heavy.

On the plus side the beds were fairly comfy and we did sleep well. There was concerns about noise as this hotel overlooks a busy tug boat dock. It was noisy during the day but for the most part once 6 or 7 PM hit the place shut down.

The restaurant had great a breakfast and friendly staff. They are busy with non-hotel patrons for evenings but if you mention you are a guest they seem to make it a priority to get you in. "Reservations Recommended" according to front desk.

One problem we did encounter was that the bathroom sink kept leaking bad. When I investigated there was about 2 tubes of caulking on the bottom of sink so it was obvious it needed replacement. Hotel staff said "Yeah we got a load that need to be replaced so we will add it to the list". Travelling with a baby we had to wash and sanitize bottles and related gear so this became a pain. I had to either refill the sink every 2 minutes or place towels on floor to catch the water.

Wireless Internet from room was slower then what you may have at home, but not as bad as most hotels I have stayed in. I was on second floor and sometimes this is dependent on where they have routers placed to.

Its a good location if your interested in the downtown thing, great view of the harbor for sure. I don't think I would stay here again, better value for $180.00 a night elsewhere. But if your stuck for a place to stay it will get you by. I tried to snap some pictures from phone, they aren't the best quality but better then nothing.

Room Tip: If you need a fridge they have them and can be requested in advance
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank TrevorMNL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2011

Have stayed at this property several times. Rooms are updated and clean but small for two people. WiFi works well.
Tried to use restaurant but seemed to be very busy and manager did not seem to interested in providing possible sitting times...so we walked down to George Street. Good parking lot. Good value for money, if you are getting a corporate rate!

Room Tip: Stay away from the water side if you are a light sleeper as boat loading and movements are 24 hour.
2 Thank ScoutW
Keith, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

During my 3 month intermittent stay at the hotel I always had the feeling of a second home with the friendliness of the front desk staff, the beautiful views over Cape Spear, Signal Hill and the harbor - especially the corner rooms! Loved my stay so much that I fell in love with one of the front desk workers, starting another little adventure of our own...

Room Tip: Corner rooms on the 3rd and 5th, and harbourviews on 4th and 5th floors.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Egge0022
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

The quality hotel in St. John's is very conveniently located to downtown and most importantly George street. Looking a bit tired, the decor seems to be straight out of the 1980's. The service was outstanding from the front counter, they were friendly and helpful whenever called upon. However, that did not make up for the okay condition of the rooms and dated decor. The beds were not the most comfortable and for the price of $159 plus taxes, one expects more. Some locals told me that this was fleecing season for tourism and it seems that the Quality Hotel was in on the take. For that type of price, I would expect luxury, not a passable experience. Lastly, I left behind a gift for my daughter, and I KNOW I left on the bed. Granted it is my fault, but I immediately contacted the hotel to ask for my daughter's gift. Low And behold, housekeeping did not find anything. Though my fault, again I expect from a classier place that they would return something like this if requested. I would look elsewhere in st. John's before going to the Quality Hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family