“Decent location, nothing special, but pricey!!”

Quality Hotel Harbourview
Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in St. John's
Toronto, Canada
“Decent location, nothing special, but pricey!!”
Reviewed August 2, 2011

The quality hotel in St. John's is very conveniently located to downtown and most importantly George street. Looking a bit tired, the decor seems to be straight out of the 1980's. The service was outstanding from the front counter, they were friendly and helpful whenever called upon. However, that did not make up for the okay condition of the rooms and dated decor. The beds were not the most comfortable and for the price of $159 plus taxes, one expects more. Some locals told me that this was fleecing season for tourism and it seems that the Quality Hotel was in on the take. For that type of price, I would expect luxury, not a passable experience. Lastly, I left behind a gift for my daughter, and I KNOW I left on the bed. Granted it is my fault, but I immediately contacted the hotel to ask for my daughter's gift. Low And behold, housekeeping did not find anything. Though my fault, again I expect from a classier place that they would return something like this if requested. I would look elsewhere in st. John's before going to the Quality Hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank tdsuperstar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Kentville, Canada
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights July 19th and 20th.Location was great for visiting the city.We had a View of the water and everything worked fine in the room.Seems a little pricey at $140 a night but everything is expensive in St.Johns in Summer I guess.
Wife didn't like the smell of the lobby, I didn't notice.Room smelled OK.
Only problem was the hi-speed was really slow whether you used wireless or the Cat5 cable.I had excellent signal strength but getting anywhere on the internet was comparable to using dial-up.
For the price they could afford to provide better internet,but it didn't ruin our visit we had other things to do than spend much time on the 'net.
Being next to the shipyard wasn't a problem for noise we just ran the AC to provide a back ground Hum,and closed the window at night.
I guess I would stay here again, but would look at other spots as well if they were close to downtown.

Room Tip: If going in the summer book early!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank parrothead12
halifax NS
Reviewed July 27, 2011

we stayed here for 3 nights it was nice , the whole back of the hotel is full of windows and right on the water we got a high floor with a water view and it was amazing the hotel was clean and rooms were nice , it is within walking disntace to downtown and close to signal hill in fact we took a taxi up and walked back , there is a resturant on site as well but close to other options , i would infact stay again when in st johns

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kgreen12
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Room was cramped but adequate and very clean. A bit stuffy, and air conditioning a little on the loud side. Decor bland. Mattresses very comfy. Wi-fi in room very slow, making it difficult to do any work there. The main lobby, aside from being pretty much useless for sitting around, had a terrible stale smoke smell initially, although they seemed to have cleaned it up a bit on our last day. Staff friendly, but not particularly helpful. Nice views from lobby (our room didn't have a view to speak of). Restaurant has nice views, but food is standard hotel fare. Hotel lacks any amenities, but is well-located.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank f m
Managercn246, Manager at Quality Hotel Harbourview, responded to this review, July 19, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your recent review. We value all guest comments we receive. My apologies that the Wi-fi was an issue during your stay.

This was an issue we expereinced for approximately a 2 week period. Technicians were indeed working on the issue but were awaiting a switch which was being couriered form Toronto. The technical difficulties took far longer than expected and were above and beyond anything we could have anticipated. We certainly have worked hard in resolving this issue to ensure a similar situation does not occur in the future and I am please to say that we are back up and running and we have received much favourable feedback since the issue was resolved.

As much of my work is email based I can absolutely sympathize with you with regards to the lack of internet access and in this day and age it is simply unacceptable. Unfortunately, yours is not the first letter I have received which ascertains to this problem during this period of time. I do truly apologize on the lack of this service during your stay.

I was glad to hear that you found our rooms clean and mattresses comfy and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Quality Hotel in the near future.

Please feel free to contact me if I am able to assist you in any way.

Regards

Jane Kingston
Manager
The Netherlands
Reviewed June 25, 2011

We got a room with a nice view on the harbour. The downside of this was the noise this gave from the outside (trucks, cranes, honking, etc). We changed rooms and got one with a terrible view but a lot more quiet, except from the noise from the hall.
The rooms are spacious but not very luxury; the faucet and toilet didn't drain very well. Eventhough our room wasn't spoken for the next day it took us a lot of persuasion to stay in our room longer on the day of our flight, which was at 10 pm.
But what annoyed us the most was that the computer didn't work for 99% of the time and we had to check our coming flights. The worst part was that the people at the frontdesk lied to us and told us "that the people before us just used it" or they would say that they had just called a technical helpdesk, whom we never saw and the problems were never over. When I read the review of Q_Warrior, who was there before us, I understand that they just don't care that the computer doesn't work and they do nothing about it. We went to the Marriot hotel next door to use the computer, which always worked. So next time we will just book that hotel.

Room Tip: Harboursite nice view but noisy.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tanja99
Reviewed June 14, 2011

When a hotel fancies itself a business hotel and charges $140 / night for 200 sq. Ft. You would think a little could be invested in Wifi and business centre.

It is absolute crap! Wifi in room took over a minute to open a web page, went down to business centre and could search for sites well enough but web pages would not open.

Spend a little cash on on what these days is a non negotiable amenity, I wouldn't stay at a hotel that didn't have cable or electricity .... This hotel needs to take a close look at their IT offering

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Q_Warrior
Corner Brook, Canada
Reviewed January 29, 2011

Stayed in St. John's for overnight stop-over between flights, and had originally tried to book into a hotel closer to the airport, but they were fully booked, and very kindly presented me with a list of names & numbers of other hotels in town, and a phone to call from. I contacted the first hotel on the list, the Quality Hotel, and they fortunately had a room available. The girl at the front desk called a cab for me to pick me up from the hotel I had tried near the airport; very nice of her.
Once I got to the Quality Hotel, they were very pleasant, and remembered I had just called looking for a room. They got me set up with my room, and reading my mind, let me know that if I was hungry, the restaurant was still open for another hour. All the staff I saw in the hotel were very nicely dressed in professional outfits, and the lobby had a really nice feel to it.
Once in my room, I realized they had given me a harbour-view room, and the view was beautiful! Being on the fourth floor, I didn't experience any disturbances due to noise from the ships that others have mentioned, but the constant light from the harbour could be disturbing to some people.
The attached restaurant, Rumplestiltskins, served really great food at reasonable prices, and the wait-staff was very friendly and prompt.
The only problem I encountered was that my laptop could not access the Wi-Fi, but I have encountered that problem at other hotels as well, as I use a Mac & for some reason it does not acknowledge all incoming Wi-Fi signals.
Overall, a very good experience, and I would definitely stay there again when I am in town!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo