“Nothing to write home about....”

Delta Hotels by Marriott St. John's Conference Centre
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed October 28, 2009

I checked out of the Sheraton and into the Delta. The location is really good and service was great as well. The food was horrible and the rooms need updating. My bed was creaky and in need of replacement. If you took the bed from the Sheraton and the service at the Delta, you would have a first rate hotel that serves horrible food. Just like the Sheraton, the club lounge does not have a free cocktail hour, you have to pay separately. No big deal, just different from the rest of the world.

Most of my complaints are on the billing side. The Delta re-ran my credit card twice after I had paid and checked out. I was alerted by my credit card company and called the manager. I gave the manager the details and he said he would call me back with an explanation. I am still waiting on the call back….

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
DeltaManagement, Management at Delta Hotels by Marriott St. John's Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2009

Dear OleMissTraveler,
I would like to thank you for bringing your billing concern to our attention. As per our separate correspondence, this has been explained and rectified. Thank you for sharing your feedback and most of all thank you for your business. We do hope that you choose to stay with us again upon your next visit to St. John's.
Management of Delta St. John's Hotel and Conference Centre

Reviewed October 8, 2009

There aren't many hotels in St. John's, so the average price for a regular room is a bit expensive in my opinion. The Delta is a nice hotel, in a geat location. It is within walking distance of Water Street (the main street downtown) and the harbour, as well as restaurants, the convention centre and just a short cab ride to all of the city's major attractions.

The hotel itself is nice. It looks contemporary, the rooms are spacious and clean, and all of the staff seem nice and helpfull. Room service is very quick, the food is above average, and the bell hops are very helpful when deciding on travel destinations.

The room is well appointed. We had a large bathroom with shower/tub, a king bed, mini-fridge, a small sitting area, desk and free internet. For the business traveller, the room is superb.

Some annoyances: the pillows are huge, and I found it difficult to get comfortable with them. The toilet would make a noise for a very long time before quieting. I found the resturant to be ogood but over priced.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
DeltaManagement, Management at Delta Hotels by Marriott St. John's Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2009

Dear Chubrock74,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our Hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your room and your stay. Hopefully we will see you back in St. John's soon.

Management of Delta St. John's Hotel and Conference Centre

Reviewed August 26, 2009

Stayed here for one night as we were attending a wedding within the hotel. The hotel was clean and comfortable. We used the pool/hot tub which was averarge to good. Service from the fromnt desk was good, and we received an extended check-out very easily which was nice. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 21stkeeper
DeltaManagement, Management at Delta Hotels by Marriott St. John's Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2009

Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for your kind words and feedback about our rooms and staff. These comments will certainly be shared with everyone. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Regards
Management and Staff, Delta St. John's Hotel and Conference Centre

Reviewed August 17, 2009

The hotel staff went over the top to make my 4 night stay one of the best if not the best hotel experience I have ever had. My girlfriend and I both found the staff incredibly friendly, and helpful. The location of the hotel was also so key to our great experience in St.Johns. I would highly recommend staying here. We didn't see the need to rent a car due to the prime location and availability and very reasonable cab fares. I give this place a thumbs up and will be definitely be making a return visit!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank andymact
DeltaManagement, Front Office Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott St. John's Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2009

Good morning,
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to let us know we are doing a good job. We pride ourselves on our hospitality and friendliness of our staff. Your comments and feedback are very much appreciated and will be share with all team members. We hope to see you again soon!
Management and Staff of Delta St. John's

Reviewed July 2, 2009

I normally stay in Delta's for all my Canadian travel, so my recent trip to St. John's, Newfoundland was no different. The hotel was also within walking distance to many shops along water street and duckworth street, and only a few minutes walk to many pubs, cafes and restaurants.
I must admit though, the Delta St. John's is one of the most expensive Delta's I've stayed at. When I compare the Delta St. John's to other Delta hotels there really is no major difference so the only reason I can think of for the huge price difference would be location, and also the fact all hotels in St. John's are expensive.

I didn't want to pay extra for a harbour view room since I've lived in St. John's before and the novelty of the Harbour has worn off. :) I stayed in room 1045 which is a city view and was fine with me. The City of St. John's is so beautiful that even a city room will take your breath away.

Word of advice, when checking in, ask for a room in " The New Tower". This is an extension Delta built on, so all the rooms are new. I always make a point of asking for a new room in the new tower and I've always been accomodated.

Rooms were a nice size, not too small, just perfect. Bed was really comfortable as always. Bathroom was large. Room was spotless, sheets flawless and bathroom immaculate. Staff were friendly and I had no problems what so ever.

I never paid much attention to my bill, but I think parking was $10/night. It's underground parking, so worth it to me.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pilotboy1985
DeltaManagement, Management at Delta Hotels by Marriott St. John's Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2009

Good afternoon,
I would like to thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us at Delta St. John's. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your room and the beautiful view of our historic downtown. I would like to assure you and the readers of TripAdvisor that while the "new Tower" was opened fairly recently in 2005, the rooms in the remainder of the building are also comfortable, warm and inviting. They have all been renovated in the past 2 years, so these rooms are indeed as good as new. Thank you again for sharing your experience.
Management and Staff of Delta St. John's Hotel and Conference Centre

Reviewed June 16, 2009

Myself, my husband and 1 year old daughter stayed at this hotel for 4 nights while my husband was attending his conference here. Stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott 2 nights previous to this, so posted a comment about that one too.

Pros: Good location to walk to shops and restaurants on Water Street. Staff were excellent, they went above and beyond! Great bedding and mattress - slept great! Great water pressure - although maybe a bit too much...kinda feels like you are being pressure washed ;) Room size was good, had a corner room. Lots of space to put a stroller and crib and for my 1 year old to run around - although because of the floor to ceiling windows on two sides of the room it was tricky to baby proof it with the computer wires and plug-ins on the floor. There is a Tim Hortons across the pedway in the office tower beside the hotel, so you don't have to go outside to grab a cheaper bite to eat or a snack, but I presume it's only open during office hours.

Cons: VERY noisy in room - had a harbor view, not worth the price considering the street noise! Motorbikes and large trucks all day and night. What is with the constant flow of motorcycles here??? Basically, it's as if you have the windows open to the street below. Maybe a room at the back of the hotel would be better if this is a concern for you. Room really needs an upgrade/update. Holes in drapes, peeling wallpaper, outdated furnishings, tub does not drain (while showering it sits about half full of water). Restaurant a bit overpriced, but decent food.

I don't think this hotel would be top of mind if we ever came back to St John's.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
DeltaManagement, Management at Delta Hotels by Marriott St. John's Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2009

Good afternoon,
I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us and the many readers of TripAdvisor. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your room and your stay with us, with the exception of the noise from outside. Being located in a busy location has many advantages however noise from traffic and motorcycles does not help. I guess it is the disadvantage of being located downtown and in a prime location. I do hope that you do consider Delta St. John's upon your next visit to St. John's
Management and Staff of Delta St. John's Hotel and Conference Centre

Reviewed June 9, 2009

I had to visit St. John's on business and was fortunate enough to have my wife come with me. Since we were both working we upgraded to the Signature Lounge and it was well worth it. The parts of the hotel we saw well well maintained, nicely decorated and manned by friendly and helpful staff. The restaurant was closed when we got in from sightseeing after our evening plane arrived but the pub offered good food and cold refreshment. I recommend the Newfoundland Chowder at the hotel and really at every restaurant we ate at for four nights. The work out facility is a bit small but quite adequate and frankly better than most hotels. The concierge was friendly and attentive. The lounge on the signature floor was great. Well stocked for both breakfast and evening hors d'ouvres. The view from the lounge was terrific. The walk downtown was fun and just across the street is the Jighouse (where you can get some Screech to bring home) and Breens, a little deli that has great turkey sandwiches for next to nothing. This is a great town and a hotel to match.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank JamesII

Good morning,
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your Delta St. John's experience with us and the many readers of TripAdvisor. I do agree that the Signature club Lounge (and of course the view) is second to none in the city and the service there is quite exceptional. Our staff on the Signature Club floor have been commended many times during their time with us. I also agree with your thoughts on our chowder, I actually enjoyed it myself yesterday for lunch. I will definitely be sharing your comments with the staff you have mentioned, as positive feedback certainly goes a long way. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
Management and Staff, Delta St. John's Hotel and Conference Centre.