“GREAT and VERY Convenient”

Delta by Marriott St. John's Conference Centre
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in St. John's
Halifax, Canada
“GREAT and VERY Convenient”
Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

Great facility and adjacent to Cabot bldgs. Quiet and well laid out facility with nice room and no musty smells as in some hotels. Huge rooms and TV has nice selection including pay per view movies. Late checkout policy recently had changed but staff were accommodating. Just one dollar over Gov allowable rate but funds saved in taxies more than make it an easy business case. Staff very friendly. Only issue I had was that ice machine on 7th floor was not working. Room also had empty mini fridge but no coffee machine noticed. Great stay, I wish I could have stayed longer. Tks Delta

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Marc C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Reviewed March 2, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the hotel lastnight, the room was wrong but jackie at the desk quickly fixed that. We enjoyed a few drinks from the great bartenders. And then had the most amazing new York strip in many years. The servers were quick with our drinks and the supper was only a wait of 7 mins top. The only thing we didn't eat was the plate. After that we enjoyed a well played ice caps game which you can easily access from a hall through the hotel so that you don't have to go outside. Back to the bar after and a lovely lady "Princess" served us drinks until the bar closed. The best service in town for sure. We enjoyed ourselves very much. Thanks to all, keep up the good work

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank krystalgo
deltanl, Manager at Delta by Marriott St. John's Conference Centre, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Delta St. John's following your recent stay and for your very kind comments about our team and products and services. We are indeed conveniently located as it relates to attending hockey games or concerts at Mile One Centre. And I have to agree about the striploin steak. It is my favourite as well, and never fails to disappoint. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the very near future.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I stayed for 4 nights at the end of February at this hotel. The rooms were nice (great view of the harbour) and clean, however the hotel is in need of a refresh. I am a Delta Platinum member and have been to many Deltas across the country, this location is outdated compared to the renovated locations that have the Mode room concept.

That being said, the hotel staff do an excellent job with what they have. The rooms were clean and the signature club lounge had a great selection of snacks. There were limited drinks in the off hours, only coffee and tea, where other signature lounges offer soft drinks at anytime of day. Delta should really standardize the signature lounge offerings, as I never know what to expect with some offering variations of snacks, hot foods, alcoholic beverages, drinks etc.

The hotel is close to downtown and many restaurants, if you can avoid the restaurant downstairs (Mickey Quinn's) there are many better options within walking distance or a short drive away (street parking is free after 6pm).

Overall I had a good stay, only things that I was not 100% satisfied with was that the hot tub was out of service the night I went to the pool, there was no welcome snack in my room as a Delta Platinum member, the phones (both of them) in my room had static background noise (distracting when you are making business calls), internet was slow (pauses with streaming video) and Delta privilege desk was not staffed so I had a longer check-out than anticipated. These are just minor picky details, overall good relaxing stay.

The hotel staff, including the signature lounge attendant and In-room dining were super friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good and in-room dining of snacks such as wings, fruit etc. was good, just not the entrée courses. I usually have room service every night when I travel for business solo and stay at Delta, the food at this location is not up to the standard I expect from Delta in-room dining.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank DeeDeeAnnie
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Delta St. John's Hotel. Our hotel will be undergoing a complete renovation beginning later this year. We look forward to unveiling our new look. Our Signature Club lounge offers good value in terms of quanity and quality of food. Delta will be reviewing brand standards in this area. We are not able to address the issue with the phones in your room unless we have the room # you stayed in.
I aplogize that you did not receive your welcome snack. Perhaps the team thought you were choosing the aeroplan points option. You can update your preference on the Delta Hotels website under your profile.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Montreal
Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

I wrote a review yesterday on another hotel that I consider one of my "go-to" hotels when traveling on business. You know, the kind of hotel that you know is going to NOT screw things up and treat you right.

Delta Hotels, as a hotel chain, fit that description no matter where your business takes you.

This time around, I was staying at Delta St John's Hotel and Convention Center. This is probably THE hotel to stay at in Saint John's and not just because it's so centrally located to wherever you need.

When I showed up, the concierge plucked my baggage from the cab before I'd even paid the cabbie and checkin was a breeze.

The rooms are spacious and comfortable and the most notable feature is the bed. All Delta beds are so incredibly comfortable, you will sleep well even if its the first night of a business trip.

On site amenities like bar and restaurant are very nice and the business center is complimentary and fully equipped to allow you to print out your documents and boarding passes for the next leg of your journey.

The thing I value most with this particular Delta is the security. It is a downtown hotel with many entrances and exits so anything can happen. Everything is well monitored by hotel security but guest floors can only be accessed with your room-card after business hours. So, without your card, the elevator just sits there. You will feel safe and secure in this downtown oasis.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank qstorm11
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I have never been so embarrassed in all my life. When myself and my husband got married apx 5 years ago, we spent our wedding night in a suite at the Delta. It was lovely and ever since it has been our place to go in the city when we want to celebrate an event or just to have a night out!
So this year, being that valentine's day fell on a Friday, we decided to trat ourselves and to have a lovely night at the Delta! Upon arrival the desk clerk advised there was a valentine meal available at Mickey Quinn's restaurant. He advised if we chose the valentine meal, the charge for our room would be reduced. I queried as to what if we wanted to have something else and he said it would not be a problem but the price of our room would be the regular price. He advised we should make a reservation prior to going to our room. We stopped along the way and looked at the valentine day menu but we were not interested in it. We spoke to the chef and he made the reservation for us. We advised we were not interested in the valentine menu and he advised that it would not be a problem. we went to our room and then for a swim and then we got dressed quite formally, for our dinner date. We arrived at the restaurant and it was lovely, all decorated for valentine's day. We were both looking forward to a lovely dinner. Upon being seated, we requested a menu as we were not interested in the valentine offering! The waitress went off and then returned to inform us that we were unable to order from the menu and furthernore we were not allowed to sit in the restaurant area as we would not be ordering from the valentine menu. she escorted us to the bar area and informed us we would have to sit in that section. Myself and my husband were quite embarrassed. We had been relegated to the pub area! he was dressed in suit and tie and me in fancy dress as well. Our dress was not suitable for a pub area! besides that we were quite embarrassed at being kicked out of the lovely restaurant area! The manager was not available to speak with, so we decided to leave and go back to our room. I am sure we were being watched as we left. I have no idea who observed what happened that night. I know we were observed, I don't know what the other patrons were thinking about us as we were escorted out! What would you think if you saw a waitress escort two people out of the restaurant just after seating them??? You would ceratinly wonder what they had done to deserve to be banished from the restaurant.

Dear Delta staff, I am outraged by the way myself and my husband were treated. The bottle of wine and the aplogy supplied by the manager later in the night did not suffice.

I feel my reputation has been tarnished. You humiliated me and my husband in public. I want retibution.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank JRobere
deltanl, Manager at Delta by Marriott St. John's Conference Centre, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Delta St. John's Hotel and Conference Centre. As stated previously in person and via e mail, we are very sorry for your Valentine's experience. A full response was already provided to you through the other forums in which you have posted your experience. We await your reply.
Paradise, Newfoundland, Canada
Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

Had a gorgeous corner room, which I would recommend to anyone - regular delta room, king size bed. My only complaint was paying the $12 parking fee. It's too bad there wasn't free parking like most hotels in the city. Also, their fitness room has a little bit of everything!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nicole S
deltanl, Manager at Delta by Marriott St. John's Conference Centre, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Delta St. John's Hotel and Conference Centre and for your kind comments about your stay with us. Certainly, our corner rooms afford a magnificent view over the city and harbour front area. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Parking is at a premium in the downtown core, and charges are quite commonplace in city centres across the country. I should note that our parking fee has not increased in many years, and we are also able to offer the comfort and convenience of an underground heated garage, an especially attractive option during winters such as we are experiencing
Penticton, Canada
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I was impressed with the front desk staff, they were helpful and cheerful. Check in and check outs were simple and quick. I was weather delayed for 3 days and they remembered me every time I came back to recheck in. Not an easy feat given that there was a convention going on one of those days. The rooms were very clean and on the higher floors have been updated. The beds very comfortable. The pool and gym area are nice. The location is great, near the quaint 'downtown' harbour area, close to the famous George Street and a number of restaurants. The only downside was the restaurant. I had the cod one night and it was great. Breakfast is run of the mill but good enough, although I wouldn't recommend the waffles. The staff is cheerful and pleasant, but after the bill is presented at your table, they don't come back to pick up payment, and end up either carrying the bill to the front or get stopped to stand and pay at the server's station. The Delta sent a survey out and responded immediately to my concerns noted above. Great service.

Room Tip: Higher up and on the harbour side for a view.