“Across from The Rooms”

Basilica Cathedral of St. John the Baptist
Ranked #5 of 97 things to do in St. John's
More attraction details
Owner description: Museum featuring historical and artistic artifacts pertaining to the Roman Catholic Church.
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Lovely Italianate ceiling and multiple stained glass windows. Plenty of free parking in front. Attached museum houses many fine examples of church art.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I am not a religious person, but this was a beautiful church. Sadly, we missed the Veiled Virgin, as it is only open to the public Monday-Friday, but even the massive church itself was nice to explore.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

wonderful to visit, however, there is often construction on-going on the outside of the building. Has been the last 2 times we visited.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

My cousin and I went to St. John's to visit our 90 year old last surviving Aunt. I won't talk about how my Aunt tired us out! This was a wonderful visit to where our mothers had grown up. The island has become very cosmopolitan. The family home on George St. Is now one of many venues on a happening street. There are restaurants, bars with live music and an entertainment pavilion. The Rooms is an amazing, must see, museum/gallery/restaurant. A ride to Signal hill lets you have a panoramic view of the city. On the way down stop in at the Geo center, a fun place for the entire family. The first week in August is Regatta time. The entire city is off so all can be part of the fun fair atmosphere. Don't forget to travel to the fishing villages for a look at the quaint towns and a chance to taste the best fish ever. The center of St. John's is The Basillica, a must see. You can understand how important the church was to the early settlers. Do go to see the Vailed Virgin next door in the Convent. My cousin and I both agreed that we have a better awareness of our mothers and a stronger understanding and appreciation for our heritage. A trip to Newfoundland is a great opportunity for the entire family. I hope I have the chance to return many more times.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

beautiful church and the pastor/archbishop was very welcoming. Masses are at 8:30 and 11 on Sundays.