“Typical Newfoundland pub/bar with added Screech!”

Trapper John's Museum and Pub
Ranked #78 of 454 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: British
Reviewed May 8, 2019

This bar is exactly what you would expect. Deliberately a bit tatty around the edges with great beer and spirits. We had the opportunity to be " Screeched in" a local ceremony to become an honorary Newfoundlander. It was a quiet Monday night when we went in and as a result we spent a lot of time talking to the owner. He was knowledgeable and we saw a whole range of exhibits and soaked up his knowledge of his home country. A really great night out.

Date of visit: May 2019

Reviewed October 25, 2018

Coming from B.C. and drove across Canada. Of course the 4 of us had to get "Screeched". Bobby was the barman and what a great personality he had! Even with a few loud and inebriated patrons, he kept his cool and entertained us perfectly by telling all about how screech got its name. We had to do 3 things before drinking the screech and we all got certificates after. If you're going to Newfoundland and want to get screeched, this is the place to do it!!

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed September 14, 2018 via mobile

I came here on a Tuesday night, when I arrived Trapper was outside. He explained to us that he had been a patron of the bar since 1968, I believe; and now he owns it. His first question, ‘where are ya from’. Everyone say ToronTo, but they’re not from. It turns out I was born there, and me My Mom was born and raised. Anywho, my Mom has mobility issues and Trapper was instantly accommodating. Grabbing her arm, and assisting her up the steps; along with instantly making her and the rest of our party comfortable. Also, ensuring she had a seat for the ceremony. Trapper I would like to sincerely thank you for treating my Mom like the Queen she truly is.

There’s a homeade beer pong table. Enough said.

The Screeched in Ceremony is bar none, the best. I would share pictures and videos that I will treasure forever, but I would just ruin the fun for you. Even if you’ve been screeched in before, I suggest it wasn’t right because Trapper wasn’t doing it.

When I told my mom she was going to get screeched in in Newfoundland, she was super apprehensive. Truth be told, it was the best part of her trip, and mine!!
Thank you!!!

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed September 7, 2018

If you have not been officially Screeched in then this is the place for you. The bartender goes through this very elaborate ceremony and then you get your very own certificate. Everyone must do it once.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed September 2, 2018 via mobile

Had a fun time at this bar. Started off getting screeched in. They did not make us wait too much. Plus did not need a booking. And it was hilarious as it should be. Kissed a cod, glad it was frozen . Less smelly that way. The bar is not fancy but it was great fun. The bartenders were funny and nice. We stayed all night. Live music later on was a nice touch.
Owner seemed a bit uptight which killed the vibe but that didn’t last long. Thankfully. All in all great fun!

Date of visit: September 2018