“Had a great stay.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Holiday Inn St. Johns
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in St. John's
“Had a great stay.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

I have stayed here a few times now, and it was great. Central location, only a short drive to all destinations within in the city. I have only ever stayed on the forth and fifth floors, which are the business floors so can not comment on any other rooms. The room was very clean and housekeeping were great. The only complaint really was that the air conditioning unit was very loud when it cut in at night.
To a previous comment I have stayed at the Super 8 and that will never happen again!
I would recommend this hotel, it is up there with the Delta and the Sheraton which also have locations in St. John's, and I have stayed at both.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank KenCPink
Norman V, General Manager at Holiday Inn St. Johns, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear KenCPink:

Thank you for your comments pertaining to your recent stay, we appreciate your valued feedback. We are glad to hear you found the room clean and that housekeeping met your expectations. We look forward to your next visit.

Norman Van De Spiegle, CHA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Normally I never bother to write reviews of hotels as I am a pretty loyal Holiday Inn customer, I've grown used to the consistent experience offered by Holiday Inn and being a seasoned business traveller consistency is important.
This place in St. John's has force me to break my silence. If you for any reason need to do business while you are at this hotel it is IMPOSSIBLE due to the poor quality Internet. If the George St. festival had not been on this weekend I would have immediately checked out to find a more business friendly hotel.
Now the niggly stuff, the room was not really clean, random hair in the bathroom when we first arrived. Small rooms with dated furniture, place a needs a major renovation. Wall plugs that didn't work or had to be wiggled so that the phone chargers would function.
Being a platinum member for years I expect better from Holiday Inn and I suggest an inspection from head office would be needed to get this place up to scratch. For $680 for a weekend I'd have preferred to stay at the Super 8 up the road for far less and a better experience.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Robert I
Norman V, General Manager at Holiday Inn St. Johns, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Robert I:

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns and being one of our IHG Rewards Club Platinum Elite Members. We are sorry you felt that what we had offered was less than satisfactory for your needs. Please be assured that we have noted your comments and these will be used to consider for enhancements needed at our property. We have previously arranged for an internet speed upgrade with our vendor and is in the works over the next few months.

Again, thank you for your feedback and our apologies for the shortcomings.

Travelers are raving about these St. John's hotels

Cambridge, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

If I had to pick a word to describe this property, it would be "average". Room was comfortable and clean. Housekeeping did their job without being asked. Hair conditioner was not found in the room. Had to go to front desk and request it. Staffer said they don't normally put it in the room (seriously?) but gave us some anyway.

Liked the shower head - large and plenty of water. Bed was comfortable.

Room layout is inefficient. The sink is not in the bathroom - it's in the closet (yes, you read that correctly).

Front desk staff were friendly and helpful.

The only restaurant is East Side Mario's - overpriced and slow service. I'll provide a review of that separately.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Norman V, General Manager at Holiday Inn St. Johns, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Dr.SQL;

Thank you for your comments. It is ture, hair conditioner is not a standard ammenity in the rooms, but as part of our "Forget Something" program, we have available for Guests,items such as combs, tooth brush, tooth past, sanitary napkins, conditioner, non scented soap, hair spray, bottle openers. All for guests who may a special need. We are glad to hear you found our housekeeping services clean and comfortable.

We look forward to your next visit.

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

I arrived at this nice hotel to be given a room "204" with a view; two garbage dumpsters.
The walls are thin and I could hear every word of their conversation; they were yelling and laughing .
I went to front Desk for a room change and they said theu dont have any and cannot help.
The staff was tremendous in handling this problem, but I won't be returning.

There is no 24 Hr Room Service facility and the in room breakfast starts at 7.30 AM . For my first night they completely forgot to collect my door knob and i had to do a rush order for breakfast and paid 22$ for a continental breakfast " expensive" .The attached restaurant is EAST SIDE MARIO'S and the food is not really my style.

On the whole I share the same regrets about this hotel as many of the other reviewers. The hotel seems dated starting with the lobby and going to the roomsT. he washrooms in the standard room are small. The sink and mirror on on one side of the room with a small closet behind it and the tub and toilet are on the other side of the room and it is a very tight space.

On the other hands the rooms were found to be very clean and beds were comfortable in my room.

Definitely not returning back :(

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Norman V, General Manager at Holiday Inn St. Johns, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Nifty23:

We are sorry to hear that your stay was not as quiet as you would have preferred and unfortunate we were in a sold out situation to not being able to move you to another room.

The properties you indicated that included breakfast, would be Holiday Inn EXPRESS hotels which offer this service. Our particular hotel is a full service hotel.

We are happy to hear that your room was clean and that the Beautyrest pillow top beds were a comfort to you.

Once again, thank you for your comments. They are appreicated.
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on business as city was sold out. Hotel is tired and our meeting room smelled like smoke. Room service didn't start until 700am and fruit salad was full of very and decaying grapes. I wouldn't choose to stay there again unless I had to.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Norman V, General Manager at Holiday Inn St. Johns, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Ally Cat Canada:

Thank you for your comments, they are appreicated as this can only help us to improve. I am surprised to hear that the meeting room smelled smoky as our facility is 100% non smoking, with a designated area outside for guests.

Once again, thank you for your comments.

Norman V.
general mananger
Markham, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed here while in town for a sport tournament. The rooms were comfortable, and the staff was fantastic to deal with. They cleaned and tidied the room daily, something much appreciated with a 3-month old in tow. The crib provided was comfortable as well.

It was handy to have East Side Mario's on site, but after a few days, a little more variety in food choices would have been welcomed. There wasn't a lot nearby, and you'd need a vehicle to find other restaurants.

The trails around the hotel were also a treat. Two ponds were nearby, and the trails were wide and gravel, something that I was able to take our stroller around. The baby ducks were also a bonus. :)

We'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Norman V, General Manager at Holiday Inn St. Johns, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Gail From Away:

Thank you for you kind comments. We will most certainly share them with our Team Members. We are glad they made your stay. Comfort and cleanliness is part of making a stay a great one and happy to hear we could do that. I must agree with you, the walking trails behind the hotel are lovely and very relaxing.

We look forward to your next return visit.

Kind regards
Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

I first stayed in this hotel in 1986 and recently had to rent two rooms for a one-week stay with my wife and three children. I can honestly say that the hotel looks exactly the same. The staff were pleasant and responded to all our enquiries. The only eating facility in the hotel is an East Side Mario's and it was just ok. The location of this hotel is suitable to those who have business at the Legislature or the University. It is a good distance from downtown and the tourist sites (Signal Hill). It'll be another 27 years before I stay here again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Erin F
Dear Terry F.

Thank you for your recent comments. Our hotel has gone through a complete make over in 2010, with the IHG Brand and relaunch of all Holiday Inns worldwide.

We appreciate your comments with our friendly staff, as we always aim to meet and exceed our Guests expectations. We will certainly will share this with our Team Members.

Kind regards