“Not a great place....”

Holiday Inn St. Johns
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I share the same regrets about this hotel as many of the other reviewers.

The hotel seems dated starting with the lobby and going to the rooms. There, the sink is in a different room from the bathtub and toilet! Also, the curtains are not in great shape and let in a decent amount of light. That heating/cooling system is one of the worst I've seen in a hotel, and cannot maintain the temperature within 5°F of what you sent. You're either too cold or too hot at many points during the night! As if this isn't bad enough, the heating unit produces a dripping noise about 80% of the time that it is operating-sounds like water dripping on the plank of wood! Extremely annoying and reduced my sleep severely because of this.

Other gripes include the inability to change the input on the television, therefore not being able to hook up your laptop to it. Also, the cleanliness of the room isn't that of other "higher" hotel brands. Finally, the location of this hotel is about as useful as the heating system! Absolutely in the middle of nowhere!

I would be hard-pressed to recommend this to a friend traveling to the East Coast.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Rita M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn St. Johns, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

I am truly disappointed that your stay with was not a great experience. I assure you that all your comments have been reviewed by our Management. Any and all Guest comments are appreciated and encouraged.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Check in was easy. Staff was helpful and polite. Check in is easy. Rooms were clean and well appointed. They have rooms with windows that open Close to the airport which is why I stayed there. Lots of outdoor free parking. In house restaurant (East side Mario's) which is OK, not great, but OK.

On the downside, other than tea and coffee in the rooms, there is nothing for travelers who need to catch an early morning flight....the restaurant doesn't open until 7:00 a.m. So, for people who need to be at the airport at 4:00 a.m., there is absolutely nothing, That is disappointing.

Room Tip: You can ask for a room with windows that open for fresh air.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 5, 2012

So this place is promoted to a 3 star hotel due to the fact that they have a swimming pool. An OUTDOOR swimming pool. In NEWFOUNDLAND. Translation - the pool is closed 10.5 months a year. Without the swimming pool, this hotel only rates a 2 star based upon the quality.

Everything about it smacks of cheap. The bathroom has a little tiny bathtub - you'd never get a bath in it - surrounded by a cheap shower enclosure full of caulking. Classy. Very old and tired looking and what has been updated has been done as cheaply as possible.

The layout of the hotel is like a maze. Very confusing. Very unimpressive lobby - once you find it. We came in the rear entrance and had to fight our way through the middle of a Christmas party to get to the lobby. Don't know what that was about but it was very uncomfortable.

There were some housekeeping issues as well. There was a dirty face cloth hanging from the shower curtain when we got there. I was there 3 days and the stairwells were not cleaned at all. They were filthy all 3 days. Full of salt and mud. Desperately needed to be mopped. Granted, it was poor weather, but I left early each morning and it was clearly not cleaned the night before.

The place is so far overpriced for what you are getting its not funny. They are charging about the same as some of the nice hotels downtown on the waterfront.

Priceline used to allow you to bid on a 3 1/2 star hotel - and I used to always get a good deal at the Marriot downtown. This time it was 3 star or better - I didn't notice that change when I bid and we ended up here.

Next time we go for a weekend getaway, I will definately bite the bullet and pay a few extra bucks for a decent place downtown.

Like I said, if you were just in for a night and this place was $90 bucks - it would be tolerable. But at $150 bucks it is laughable.

Room Tip: Go downtown.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IMARover1973
Rita M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn St. Johns, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

I do apologize for the issues you encountered duing your stay with us. I assure you that every item mentioned is being reviewed by our Managemnet Team for followup. It is only through comments and suggestions such as yours that we may improve service for our Guests. Again, please accept my apologies and if you wish to discuss your experiences with me, you may contact the Hotel directly.

Thank-you

Reviewed October 19, 2012

I stayed here on a business trip. The staff was helpful and accommodating. Clean rooms, prompt service, and a beautiful view of the ponds. I will stay with them again. They answered every question and concern promptly and effectively.

• Stayed: October 2012
Rita M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn St. Johns, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Thank-you for your lovely comments! We appreciate the feedback and will certainly pass this on to our staff. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Very expensive for a 3 star hotel, carpets need cleaning and overall only ok. The locks on the patio doors seemed flimsy and not very reassuring to a woman traveling alone.

Staff was nice but for the price carpets in the main areas need to be replaced.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Rita M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn St. Johns, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

I thank you for your comments and recommendations. We are currently looking into replacing the carpeting in the lobby. I apologize that you did not not feel the patio door in the room was secure. In your future visits, please let us know your concerns. We can book your room on a higher floor and also, make this note permanant for all your bookings. Again, thankyou. We appreciate any and all feedback from out valued Guests!

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Stayed here last week of Sept 2012, decent older property. Rooms are somewhat updated with older bathroom fixtures but well kept. It's a little out of the downtown core so if you're in town for meetings you'll be in a cab, other than that it's a short ride from the airport.

Cheaper than the downtown hotels, but with no parking issues. Great meeting facilities with a very accomodating event staff, they couldn't do enough for us. Terrific catering services also.

Would recommend for events as reasonable and convenient for your attendees.

The hotel restaurant is East Side Mario's which was good, not sure how or if they provide breakfast, we didn't make use of other than lunch or dinner which were both great. I could see italian getting tired after a couple days, but that's simply my opinion.

Nice outdoor swimming pool which was closed up for the winter while there but you can tell it's well maintained by the surrounding area and cover.

Decent property overall

Room Tip: My room overlooked e pool and a nice little pond by a walking trial with a balcony that was nice.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Rita M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn St. Johns, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Thank-you for your kind comments! Our banquet and catering staff certainly go above and beyond and I will pass on your kind comments to them. The East Side Mario's in the Hotel does serve breakfast beginning 7am each morning. It's unfortunate that you were here when the pool was closed for the season as it is enjoyed by our Guests very much. I appreciate the detail in your comments and we will certainly review each one. Thank-you once again.

Waremst Regards;

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I regularly travel to St. John's for business... and it is getting tougher and tougher to get rooms there at certain times of the year due to the Hibernia oil field business boom. This hotel is a bit far from anything interesting. Service is ok, check in is ok and the rooms are ok... nothing great and nothing bad.
What is not up to par however for a Holiday Inn however is the elevators, lobby and other public areas are not dirty but just not clean enough for Holiday Inn standards.
The restaurant is not part of the hotel but linked; it is an Italian chain Pat & Marios, so if you like Pizza and pasta or a sports bar atmosphere then this is right up your alley.
Service at the bar however was very poor... example: I had a a couple of drinks and wanted to pay my bill. I waited about 10 minutes after asking for my tab while the bar tenders were counting money (9:30 at night...not closing time) and were totally ignoring the clients waiting for service... after a polite second request for my tab, I was told 'it won't be long'... well another 7 or 8 minutes more of being ignored I decided that I would not wait any longer and went to my room. Service at the tables was fine... just avoid the bar. Food is nothing special but as expected in this type of chain place.
There are much better options in St.John's so if you do not need to be in this out of the way area you may wish to look around.
You may also not think that having to call reception for wake up calls or other information more than once before they pick up despite several rings is not your idea of service at Holiday Inn. When they do finally pick up, they are friendly and willing to assist.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Summerchill
Rita M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn St. Johns, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Thank-you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. Your feedback is important to us and is reviewed to improve service. Please accept my sincere apologies that our Hotel did not meet your standards. However, any and all comments are appreciated and will certainly be used to address any service and product items. If you would like to discuss your stay in more detail, please feel free to call at anytime!