“Needs a major make over”

Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in St. John's
Toronto, Canada
“Needs a major make over”
Reviewed October 15, 2010

For the longest time, I was quiet hesitant booking a stay here as most of the locals consider it an overrated hotel. However, given the recent string of positive reviews, I finally gave it a try. First things first - the people are nice (that goes for ALL Newfoundlanders I've encountered). They're pleasant to deal with, and do put in an effort to make your stay an enjoyable one. When we asked for a DVD player, they promptly brought up a TV with a DVD attached to it (the flat panel tvs are not setup to allow one to connect a DVD player to it...nothing you can't fix if you know how to tinker with the tv). Now only if they gave us the remote and a DVD player that didn't have the jog dail broken off.

The problem is, this hotel needs a major make over. Much of the facilities is worn down and dated. Wood trim banged up, dirty walls here and there. I heard from a previous poster that 1st floor was remodeled. Well, 3rd floor isn't. My toilet was broken (chain snapped - all rusted out). I was then moved to another room on the 5th floor. WARNING - construction is taking place on this floor and was rudely awaken early in the morning on HOLIDAY THANKGIVING MONDAY from the noise of the construction going on just 20m from my room. Disappointingly, when checking out that very morning, when I brought it to their attention, they just shrugged their shoulders.

Let's make things clear. This is not a 4 star hotel. Maybe once upon a time in it's former life as a Fairmont Hotel but not anymore.

Personally I won't be back. For the premium this hotel charges for such a beat up place, there are much better options elsewhere in the city.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
LDelurey, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this review, October 26, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write regarding your recent experience at our hotel. Guest feedback is very important to us and we are disappointed to know that your experience was not a plesant one. I am happy to know though the staff were plesant and easy to deal with. We are very proud of our team and know they are committed to giving great guest service. Your concerns have been bought forward to the attention of the appropriate management team for review. We understand being under such extensive renovations that inconveniences are being caused to our guest and we apologize for that. However it's a part of our ongoing plan for overall improvements for our hotel. Once finished we will have a completely renovated hotel and one that we will be proud to present to our valued guest.

If you would like to discuss further at your convenience you can contact me at laura.delurey@sheratonhotelnewfoundland.com

Thank you again and hope we have the opportunity of serving you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Vancouver
Reviewed September 30, 2010

clean, simple good. Room a little dated, but nice. friendly staff and helpful

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed September 29, 2010

My wife and I recently stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks during a move.
Check-in was relatively quick, with Stephen (the check-in agent) getting us a newly remodelled room since we were there for so long. On the first floor, but no big deal. After check-in, I was surprised to find there was no DVD player in the room, as our confirmation stated that there would be. I contacted the front desk, and got Stephen, who informed me that none of the rooms had DVD players, and that since Sheraton had just taken over the hotel, it was probably a glitch. He said he'd comp 3 movies to our room for the inconvenience. He then called back about 10 minutes later and said that he had managed to find a DVD player, and that it was ours for the full 2 weeks of the stay. Awesome.
The bed was the same as those in any Sheraton, amazing. My first words getting into it was "It's so fluffy I'm gonna die!!" This was a huge plus, as the last place we had stayed in St John's (the Extended Stay Deluxe) had a horrible bed.
Many times throughout our stay, we were still in the room when housekeeping came around, with the Do Not Disturb sign still up, so they would leave a note saying to call the front desk to schedule cleaning. This worked great most days, however there were a couple of days that we had no housekeeping at all, even after calling the front desk. This wasn't a big deal for us, but I put it out there for information.
Over the course of our stay there, we ate in Bivver (the bar) twice for a late night snack. Quite possibly the best fish and chips I've ever had. The dessert was also amazing, and huge. Considering that we were in a hotel, prices weren't bad either.
We also ate in The Narrows twice, once from breakfast/lunch and once for supper. While we were there, there were renovations going on in the main restaurant, so The Narrows was in a temp location, and food had to be brought across the hotel from the kitchen to th dining area. This didn't seem to cause any issues, as food was still brought quickly, and still was still hot when it arrived. Again, good food, and not ridiculous prices (although probably more than you could get in restaurants outside of the hotel).
Overall, we loved the hotel. Staff was all very friendly, and many of them went way out of their way to try to help us. Location was great, we could walk to most restaurants downtown, and it's not far from a lot of tourist areas like Signal Hill, The Rooms and the Basillica. I'd definitely stay again if we had a reason.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Vancouver Island, BC
Reviewed September 15, 2010

We stayed at the Sheraton for 4 days at the start of our trip and 3 days at the end of our trip. We found the hotel to be very confortable, the rooms were spacious, great views whether it be the city view or harbour view. I did find the hotel to be alittle on the pricey side, but did get better rates by booking online. When we returned for our last 3 days in St. John's, we didn't have reservations and it was no problem, and the receptionist even directed us to the business center where we could go online and get a better rate than what the hotel currently could give us.
We did not eat at the restaurant or lounge at the hotel, as we preferred to check out the local spots along the waterfront. It was an easy walk to all of the shops and restaurants, and a 15 minute stroll to the famous George Street area.
We would definitely stay at the Sheraton again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 12, 2010

We stayed two nights at this Sheraton in St. John's at the beginning of our recent tour through Newfoundland. Having cashing in some SPG points, I was able to score a jacuzzi room on the Club level, which provided great views from both the room and the Club. The breakfast provided in the Club was fantastic and the hostess was extremely efficient at keeping it fully stocked even through the busiest period. The main areas of the hotel have been fully renovated now, and the lobby, the Sheraton Link and the bar areas are absolutely wonderful. We had such a good experience at this location that we booked back in to the hotel for our last night in Newfoundland prior to flying home. Not being on the Club level this time, it was breakfast at Zachary's, right across the road. Fantastic alternative. The rooms that have been renovated are truly modern, with fantastic Sheraton Sleep beds and complimentary wi-fi.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Ontario
Reviewed August 31, 2010

We stayed for 3 nights. They are renovating the hotel but we were not affected but it in anyway. Our rooms where not renovated yet and where still very nice. We got a great rate of $100 per night by just walking in. The pool was clean, and need some work but nice.no continental but great places to eat close by

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 6, 2010

I always look forward to staying at this hotel. The staff are always gracious and helpful and the location is fantastic!

This building itself is quite old but it is slowly being renovated - new carpets in the hallways, restaurant facelift, etc. Most of the room I've stayed in have 2 double beds, each one stacked with 4 fluffy pillows and a luxurious duvet. This is one of the obvious "Sheraton" hallmarks. There are lots of plug outlets throughout the room - I think most recently I counted 5 in the room, one in the bathroom, and one in the vanity/coffee area (x2 outlets, that's amazing for a hotel room!). That and the free Wi-Fi makes any tech-savvy traveler very happy!

Each room has it's own coffee/ tea maker with Starbucks coffee and Tazo teas. There is an empty mini fridge under the TV - very important if you want to chill your own beers (it is St. John's after all!) or stash your groceries.

The bathroom is spacious and clean, with Bath & body works products (Mandarin Mint scented products). There is lots of counter-top space for your makeup bags/ shaving kits, a proper blow-dryer (not one of those stupid things attached to the wall) and if you're not a fan of using hotel glasses, there are also a couple of individually wrapped plastic glasses.

There is a great fitness center in the lower lobby with a pool. I hesitate to call it a "basement" since the hotel is built on a hill and the lower lobby has an exit out to the street.

My only minor complaints about this hotel is the very old heating/ AC system. It's a loud fan on one side of the room. I find that when I get in I usually blast it to heat up or cool down my room and turn it off for the night because it's just too loud to sleep with it on.

Second is the mark-up on their room service menu. The menu hasn't changed, but the prices have gone up compared to the rare occasion I ordered room service when this hotel was still part of the Fairmont chain. That said, it is always presented beautifully and delivered by a friendly face (even at 5:45 am @_@).

Stayed June 2010, traveled on business