“great staff, rooms not up to par”

Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed October 13, 2008

arrived at 4:30pm to find our room was "not quite ready yet" had to wait approx 30 minutes. Harbourview room was acceptable at best- room small; mattress needing replacement; 20 inch TV. On the bright side all the staff we encountered, from housekeeping to waiters to front desk, were very friendly & helpful. Strongly encourage the Fairmont to use the revenues from the high prices they charge to make some upgrades. Others from the conference we attended stayed at nearby Quality Inn & had just as nice facilites for half the price.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Brian_in_MB

Reviewed October 4, 2008

stains on carpet, room not made when i arrived, room not made up the next day, no duvets, requests for duvet took 2 days, 4 phone calls, old tattered blanket and cover, cracked sink, waiter had 2 customers and delivered my food twice to the other table.
no doorman or help with luggage, just not the service, and room quality that i expect at a fairmount. Don't stay here, this is not a quality hotel.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Cathy R
Reviewed September 23, 2008

I could not believe this stay. I have never had such an awful hotel experience. Never. And I've been to India!

I had the privilege of staying in one of their fine "Pull Out Sofa Suites". That's right. In a Fairmont Gold property, they put me in a room where the only bed was a sofa bed. You know the kind. The bed you had to sleep on when you were 8 and visiting your grandparents. Then, when you got a little older you realised there was this huge metal bar sticking in the middle of your back.

So now that you are an adult, you say to yourself, "Self", you said, "I will never subject another human being to sleeping on something so torturous."

Guess what, the Fairmont disagrees. They think this is the best type of bed to charge someone $100 a night for. They think this is the right thing to do. Shame. Shame. Shame!

I am so dissapointed with this property, words cannot describe my feelings.

I think, perhaps, the hotel is OK if you get a bed that does not pull out from a sofa. But I wouldn't know.

Even when I complained about my 5 hours of sleep that left me feeling crippled at 4am, they offered nothing to apologise. Except to say, "Yah, those rooms can be pretty bad". Then they took my $100 and ran.

SHAME. SHAME. Such a reputable brand. SHAME!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank Wakky_J
Reviewed August 13, 2008

It's the second time I stayed there in the past year. I will definitely go back. Both times I stayed it was the most restful and peaceful hotel stay I've had and I travel a lot. Rooms are quiet and comfortable. I had a view of the harbor both times and highly recommend it. This time I upgraded to Fairmont Gold and it was definitely enjoyed. The daily breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres ( you pay for your own alcohol at an honor bar) were wonderful. Good gym. Easy to walk downtown or go for a run.

It doesn't have great competition if you like a hotel with all the amenities and some degree of luxury. Its like rental cars in Newfoundland, a little overpriced for what you get but not enough competition for them to lower the price.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed August 8, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Fairmont Newfoundland for three nights in July 2008 as part of a summer holiday in Atlantic Canada. With one notable exception (see below), the hotel was completely adequate. My criticism is that when I spend almost $1500 for three nights in a hotel, I expect something a little more than the clean and efficient comfort you can expect from a well run Marriott. It was clear that the hotel sells lot of space at reduced rates to tour groups, airline personnel and even a large contingent of US soldiers (mission unknown). At $200 a night it would be good value. But unlike so many Fairmont properties, it isn't historical or distinctive. Breakfast isn't included. About the only thing that is free is Internet access and parking.

Thanks to Marine Atlantic's delaying of our ferry crossing from Nova Scotia, we arrived in the hotel at 5:00 a.m. five hours behind schedule. Our room was there and waiting and we went to bed dead tired. And we were awakened at 6:00 a.m. by the alarm clock which had been left set by the previous guest. Forgive me if I sound petty, but I believe that when you're spending almost $500 a day for a hotel room, you have the right to not be woken up less than an hour after you have gone to sleep.

I would only recommend this hotel to business travelers on expense accounts and folks who can get a heavily reduced group rate.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RailwayHobo
Reviewed July 20, 2008

Have stayed here before (8 yrs ago) and still find this is a great hotel to stay. A little farther from the "action" of George St. but still "walkable" - and as a result it is a fairly quiet location (except for the ever present AC noise - you'd think by now they'd invent something a little quieter!) We had a top floor room with a great harbour view. Beds were comfortable and staff friendly and accomodating. Main restaurant provides good variety and delicious choices (also a buffet) - but may seem a bit higher priced for some. Nice to see they've finally not bothered to fill the room mini-bars with "expensive junk " but instead leave it empty (except for coffee creamers) to use for your own drinks or snacks!Overall - a great place to stay without the hustle and bustle of a large city hotel and a good starting place to explore St. John's and area.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed April 10, 2008

I stayed at the Fairmont Newfoundland for two nights last April. It was a great hotel - very helpful and attentive staff, well appointed rooms, very comfortable bed, and excellent food in the restaurant.

My room had a great view of the harbour. St John's is a lovely little city and I really enjoyed exploring it.

The Fairmont isn't in the middle of downtown St John's, so it is a little bit of a walk to places like George Street. The weather was surprisingly decent when I was there, so I didn't mind the walk. There are other hotels that are closer to all the action, though I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Fairmont again.

• Stayed: April 2007