“Good Atmosphere”

Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed November 2, 2013

A welcoming hotel with excellent staff.

Difficult to determine the age of the hotel but now past its first flush of youth. A problem with non-flushing toilets rapidly resolved by a very professional and pleasant member of staff. Rooms very clean but furniture rather battered and poor sound insulation between rooms and corridor.

I would stay here again if i visited St.Johns in the future as there are excellent views of the harbour and the staff in particular are the stars of the hotel.

Room Tip: High floor with harbour view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Chris H, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Hello Antarctic,

Thank you for providing us with feedback regarding your stay. We are glad to hear the issue you encountered with the toilet was quickly rectified by our staff. Your comment about our staff being the stars of the hotel could not be more true. We will make sure to pass along your kind words. We look forward to seeing you again upon your return to St.John's.

Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here before, and all I could remember was I got stuck in the elevator. This stay I have to say has been very pleasant. I'm staying on the 6th floor which is reserved for SPG - and the rooms are well equipped and good size. I'm platinum and was not upgraded - but I'm ok with my room. The Sheraton lounge is good for snacks - but sadly the offering of hot food is all processed.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Chris H, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

We are happy to hear that your previous stay did not prevent you from coming back to visit us again and having a pleasant experience. All of our valued Platinum members receive a complimentary upgrade to our highest room category (based on availability) which is usually a room on our Club Floor with access to the Lounge. I apologize if this was not communicated to you properly upon arrival. If you have a different prefernce please do let us know next time and we will be happy to accomodate. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

I stayed at the Sheraton for 3 days for a conference. Great location close to quaint downtown shopping area. While reception area could use updating, the Narrows Restaurant area is lovely, full of windows, lush plants and a waterfall. My large king bed room had a fantastic harbour view, with beautiful sunsets and sunrises. The bed was extremely comfortable, with lovely linens and duvet. A quiet room except for doors slamming. Decent sized, well-appointed bathroom. But the best thing was the incredibly friendly and helpful staff who seemed genuinely glad you were there. The conference facilities were good, even the food. Great stay all around.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Hello Victoria R,

It sounds like you had a fantastic stay with us. We wish we could take credit for the magnificient sunrises and sunsets but we'll have to make due with all of your kind words. Thank you for taking the time to share these thoughts with us and Trip Advisor. We have provided our associates with a copy of your review so they can see what a wonderful difference their hard work and dedication makes to their guests. We hope you see you the next time you visit our city.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I attended a conference at the end of June. The space used was effective for what was needed. The hotel in general was very clean. The rooms were clean and spacious. The room itself was pretty basic - I would have preferred a better view as I couldn't see the harbour. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. Overall a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

We are thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland. We have grown accustomed to hearing about how friendly and helpful our guests find our associates and we have to say it is not something you can ever tire of. Please let us know when you are returning so we can make sure you get to experience one of the many beautiful harbour views we are lucky to have.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Excellent hotel! Staff, bell hops, conceirge, cleaning staff all excellent. View from my room was lovely, a bit of the harbour, duckworth street. nice. Bed was very comfortable. Hot water in the morning. Coffee machine with creamers, my room didn't have fridge or micro as my friend's did but I am sure if you asked they would provide one. Enjoyed it immensely.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbour view. Although the parking lot, Duckworth view was nice too.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

We thoroughly enjoyed reading your kind words. We are happy you took the time to share your thoughts with us. We have passed along your compliments to our wonderful staff. We hope to have the opportunity to help you mix business with pleasure the next time you return to St.John's.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Stayed here Oct 6, 7,8, 2013. Booked a Deluxe room with a harbor view room. Got the harbor view which was excellent but i would not call the room a deluxe, it was postage stamp size, which was disappointing for sure considering the price. Food at the hotel was , in my opinion, over priced especially breakfast. Although breakfast was included in the room the vouchers were not provided on check in, i had to leave early for morning work leaving my fiance' to fend for herself. Upon telling the breakfast staff about the vouches we were supposed to receive they were not helpful so then to front desk where she did receive them. Apparently was told the voucher was buffet or could order form menu up to the 20 dollar voucher. She had a coffee, waffles and bacon and was charged the voucher plus approx 12 dollars not including tip. At over $30.00 the breakfast was diffidently over priced.
Not impressed with this hotel for the price charged for the room or meals.

1  Thank George C

George C,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your stay with us and the Trip Advisor community. I would like to apologize if there was any confusion regarding the size of your room due to the description. Our deluxe rooms have the same square footage as our tradtional rooms. It is the excellent harbour view which you mentioned that provides the deluxe distinction. If your preference is a room with more space I would offer the suggestion of viewing our Junior Suites on your next visit. We hope to see you again the next time you visit St.John's.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is my second trip to this hotel in the past 18 months. The first time I had a porthole room on the second floor. This is a room with a round porthole window (kinda cool). This time I got a room on the fifth floor. I liked the first room better.

I am in hotels for a week every month; and, that makes me compare this one to the ones that I have stayed at most recently. The rooms are large, there is a 32" flat screen TV but some of the smaller details are lacking. For example, to use the toilet paper in the bathroom you have to look behind you and to the left. A bit of a silly place to put it, if you ask me. Also, there is nothing close by to eat other than the hotel restaurant. You can walk to some places; but if the weather is cold or rainy it will not be a pleasant walk; as you are right at the waterfront.

The wifi in the rooms is pretty slow (using an I phone, I pad or laptop). The king sized bed that I have is kinda springy. I think someone after me might get a bring up their butt. For business use I would want a wired connection. There is an Ethernet port; but, no active signal (I tried). Having a DECT cordless phone in the room is nice. The TV however is set to super zoom; so if you are watching a sports channel, things will be cut off on the screen.

I do like the fact that you are provided with free water. The shower head provides good pressure; but it is still too low for the average person today. Overall it is a comfortable place to stay; but a few small changes would go a long way.

Room Tip: Try to get a harbour view room with a porthole.

Hello AtwoZ,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your stay. We have passed your observations along to the appropriate departments for their consideration. When you return please let us know of your preference for the Porthole room and we will do our best to accomodate.