“Great location, great staff”

Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I stayed at the Sheraton for 3 days for a conference. Great location close to quaint downtown shopping area. While reception area could use updating, the Narrows Restaurant area is lovely, full of windows, lush plants and a waterfall. My large king bed room had a fantastic harbour view, with beautiful sunsets and sunrises. The bed was extremely comfortable, with lovely linens and duvet. A quiet room except for doors slamming. Decent sized, well-appointed bathroom. But the best thing was the incredibly friendly and helpful staff who seemed genuinely glad you were there. The conference facilities were good, even the food. Great stay all around.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Chris H, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Hello Victoria R,

It sounds like you had a fantastic stay with us. We wish we could take credit for the magnificient sunrises and sunsets but we'll have to make due with all of your kind words. Thank you for taking the time to share these thoughts with us and Trip Advisor. We have provided our associates with a copy of your review so they can see what a wonderful difference their hard work and dedication makes to their guests. We hope you see you the next time you visit our city.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I attended a conference at the end of June. The space used was effective for what was needed. The hotel in general was very clean. The rooms were clean and spacious. The room itself was pretty basic - I would have preferred a better view as I couldn't see the harbour. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. Overall a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

We are thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland. We have grown accustomed to hearing about how friendly and helpful our guests find our associates and we have to say it is not something you can ever tire of. Please let us know when you are returning so we can make sure you get to experience one of the many beautiful harbour views we are lucky to have.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Excellent hotel! Staff, bell hops, conceirge, cleaning staff all excellent. View from my room was lovely, a bit of the harbour, duckworth street. nice. Bed was very comfortable. Hot water in the morning. Coffee machine with creamers, my room didn't have fridge or micro as my friend's did but I am sure if you asked they would provide one. Enjoyed it immensely.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbour view. Although the parking lot, Duckworth view was nice too.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

We thoroughly enjoyed reading your kind words. We are happy you took the time to share your thoughts with us. We have passed along your compliments to our wonderful staff. We hope to have the opportunity to help you mix business with pleasure the next time you return to St.John's.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Stayed here Oct 6, 7,8, 2013. Booked a Deluxe room with a harbor view room. Got the harbor view which was excellent but i would not call the room a deluxe, it was postage stamp size, which was disappointing for sure considering the price. Food at the hotel was , in my opinion, over priced especially breakfast. Although breakfast was included in the room the vouchers were not provided on check in, i had to leave early for morning work leaving my fiance' to fend for herself. Upon telling the breakfast staff about the vouches we were supposed to receive they were not helpful so then to front desk where she did receive them. Apparently was told the voucher was buffet or could order form menu up to the 20 dollar voucher. She had a coffee, waffles and bacon and was charged the voucher plus approx 12 dollars not including tip. At over $30.00 the breakfast was diffidently over priced.
Not impressed with this hotel for the price charged for the room or meals.

1  Thank George C

George C,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your stay with us and the Trip Advisor community. I would like to apologize if there was any confusion regarding the size of your room due to the description. Our deluxe rooms have the same square footage as our tradtional rooms. It is the excellent harbour view which you mentioned that provides the deluxe distinction. If your preference is a room with more space I would offer the suggestion of viewing our Junior Suites on your next visit. We hope to see you again the next time you visit St.John's.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is my second trip to this hotel in the past 18 months. The first time I had a porthole room on the second floor. This is a room with a round porthole window (kinda cool). This time I got a room on the fifth floor. I liked the first room better.

I am in hotels for a week every month; and, that makes me compare this one to the ones that I have stayed at most recently. The rooms are large, there is a 32" flat screen TV but some of the smaller details are lacking. For example, to use the toilet paper in the bathroom you have to look behind you and to the left. A bit of a silly place to put it, if you ask me. Also, there is nothing close by to eat other than the hotel restaurant. You can walk to some places; but if the weather is cold or rainy it will not be a pleasant walk; as you are right at the waterfront.

The wifi in the rooms is pretty slow (using an I phone, I pad or laptop). The king sized bed that I have is kinda springy. I think someone after me might get a bring up their butt. For business use I would want a wired connection. There is an Ethernet port; but, no active signal (I tried). Having a DECT cordless phone in the room is nice. The TV however is set to super zoom; so if you are watching a sports channel, things will be cut off on the screen.

I do like the fact that you are provided with free water. The shower head provides good pressure; but it is still too low for the average person today. Overall it is a comfortable place to stay; but a few small changes would go a long way.

Room Tip: Try to get a harbour view room with a porthole.

Hello AtwoZ,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your stay. We have passed your observations along to the appropriate departments for their consideration. When you return please let us know of your preference for the Porthole room and we will do our best to accomodate.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

I travel on business about once a month and have become used to hotels offering standards less than those at home (obviously!). My go-to is always the Marriott and this trip to St. John's started with that intention as well. I had booked a week at the Courtyard just down the street from here but they had some "plumbing" issues and sent me here. While the property is nice enough and the view from my room is incredible (facing the city and port side), and the rooms are decently clean, these rather surface details fail to overcome the nitty-gritty that takes away from a positive experience at this hotel. For starters, I've slept on better beds in 4-star hotels in Cuba (closer to a 2-star in Canada). The sheets are too short for the bed and every morning I've woken up with them sliding off the mattress because they simply don't fit. Its not a nice experience to find yourself sleeping on top of an unprotected hotel mattress. Yuck.

My neighbour I imagined as being a young party-type girl who loves her blowdryer and streaming a rap station from Toronto (Flow 93.5, to be precise). I don't know if its the thin walls or the joining doors between our rooms but I could hear EVERYTHING she was up to, right down to putting down the toilet seat to her phone calls with whomever. For close to $300 a night, I'd expect peace and quiet (not that it's the woman's fault...the hotel just isn't built with silence in mind).

The room also feels almost suffocated. The AC system can't maintain an ideal temperature. It's either way too hot or way too cold.

But again, the view and location of this hotel are great and perhaps its just my room that was off. THe staff were also very nice and helpful and I salute their attention to customer service. Thanks to the front desk for their smiles and to the wonderful room-keeper who patiently waited outside our room to change the short sheets while we got ready (sheets are still too short--perhaps its time to invest in new stock).

I only wish the Marriott--who consistently delivers a comfortable night's stay--was available.

Business travellers: for a good night's stay, don't stay here. The conference facility was great though and the lunch we were served was absolutely AMAZING. The kitchen out performs the quality of rooms by far.

1  Thank Paulizzy

Thank you very much for contacting us with your feedback. I want you to know that we take such feedback very seriously as it helps us identify areas in which we can improve our guest's experience. We were surprised to read your comments regarding the bedding as our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds usually draw rave reviews. We would love to be able to investigate this further (as well as your comments about the sheets) and would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you about your stay. I can be reached at chris.hayden@sheratonhotelnewfoundland.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I've stayed here number times and at other spots in St John's. Considering location, service and quality of rooms, this is my preferred place. I particularly like the view into the harbor.

I was also pleasantly surprised that the bed cover included a duvet and a comforter. I find the duvet usually too hot but the alternative being a blanket that is too cold. Kudos to the Sheraton for figuring this out and having a comforter.

Room Tip: I suggest harbor view on the club level. Great view and nice lounge.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Chris H, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Thank you very much for the kind remarks. Nothing makes us happier than to read about how our loyal guests love to stay at our property after trying out the competition. Your feedback has been shared with our associates to congratulate them on another success as they are what truly sets our hotel apart from others in the area. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.