Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
Blue on Water(St. John's)
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
JAG(St. John's)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsthe club loungesignal hillrenovated roomharbour viewcorner roomattending a conferencevery nice hoteldowntown stjohn's harbourwater stexcellent staydowntown areaking bedfree parkingnewfoundlandportholeatrium
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Staff is amazing, from Imelda at the front door, Walt in the restaurant to Georgia in the lounge. Make your stay the best. A little bit of a walk to downtown but good exercise after the food and drinks. Ensure do not disturb signs on door as housekeeping starts at 8:30 and if you are out late it is an early wake up.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank yvrlanj
Chris H, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

It seems as though you have discovered what so many of our previous guests already know... that the amazing associates of the Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland are what make the difference. They truly are the reason our hotel stands above the rest in a city known for it's hospitality. We will make sure those you mentioned are recognized for making your stay a memorable one. Come back and see us soon.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

... in st john's, the only one of its kind, really, in this small city. it's probably the only place in town where you'll see (some) men wearing jackets and (some) women in heels. nevertheless, it works for tourists too, sitting on a rise above the harbor with some rooms having very pleasant views of the port. the front desk staff is friendly and the concierges will do anything they can to answer questions, accommodate requests, etc. if you're driving, you'll be pleased that if you don't use the valet service there's no charge for parking in the ample lot ... a rare benefit for an urban hotel. the oppidan restaurant in the hotel serves good food in ample portions, not inexpensive but the prices are not outrageous for an upscale hotel restaurant. oppidan's interior is looking tired (scuffed furniture abounds) and it won't be long before the hotel itself will benefit from a facelift. the slightly dated rooms are classic sheraton/marriott functional spaces ... no charm, but comfortable beds, nice bathrooms, in-room coffee and a thermostat that efficiently controls room temperature to the nearest farenheit degree. no small refrigerator in our room. being over 65, we received a 20% seniors' discount.

Room Tip: a harbor view room will add $35 to the price ($28 for seniors) but we thought it worth the money
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hankbauer
Chris H, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Hi hankbauer,
Thank you for sharing your comments with us and your fellow Trip Advisor travellers. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our complimentary parking to be of benefit. We hope to see you again the next time you travel north to Newfoundland.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

average hotel with good service. old. bathrooms are old. comfortable beds. nice view on the harbour.
Close to walk to anywhere.
make sure you go to Cape Spear
had a facial at the Spa, do not expect the best facial but people are friendly.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Isabel39_10
Chris H, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

We appreciate you taking the time out of your schedule to provide us with feedback regarding your stay. We are happy to hear you had a comfortable night's sleep in our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds and enjoyed one of the many beautiful views we are lucky to have. We apologize that the bathroom was not up to your expectations. We do have continuing renovations scheduled for some of our guestrooms which will indeed include the bathrooms. We hope to be able to show you the new product when you next return to stay with us.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I am not sure where to start with reviewing this hotel. I booked a 7 night stay here (but ended up shortening it) through booking.com less than a month away from our travel dates. The rates were some of the highest I have ever paid for a hotel- approx $260/night for a regular room, one king bed, city view.

Closer to the date, we called to confirm the hotel and there seemed to be a mix up b/t the hotel and booking.com. This casued a huge amount of stress to myself, especially since we were due to arrive in St. John's in just a few days. Sorting out this whole mess involved countless phone calls/emails to the manager of the hotel as well as booking.com. Not impressed. However, the manger at the Sheraton upgraded us to a habour view room with 2 double beds free of charge and provided us with a bottle of wine when we arrived which was nice.

The hotel itself is under 10 kms away from the airport. It's about a 15-20 min walk from the downtown core- which doesn't sound like much but when you are hungry, its quite far. As for the room, while the view was nice, I wasn't blown away. The beds were comfortable for the first night and then I found them not supportive enough (just pure down filled). The air conditioner was loud (as someone mentioned below) and for an upgrade, our toilet didnt flush properly. I found the shower head to not be tall enough for me and why there weren't any towel racks is beyond me.

One day we ate at the restaurant for brunch and I paid $18 for eggs benedit which is crazy. My mom paid $3.50 just for a coffee. We were going to order late night room service one night and the list was pretty weak to choose from.

On a plus- I advised the manager that I was looking to do a photography walking tour and he looked into it and gave me a few suggestions. I thought that was nice (although I didn't end up booking).

The hotel recommends walking to places a lot, but to be honest I didn't find anything really close to this hotel. Signal Hill is way too far and uphill. Quidi Vidi is not within walking distance. Bascially any sort of tourist attraction here is not close enough to walk. The only thing would be the Jelly-Bean row houses (Gawer/King St.).

I often stay at Sheratons and this did not live up to their reputation. I would not return- may check out the Delta as it seemed closer to the downtown area.

Room Tip: I would honestly not pay extra for a Habourfront view
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ilovedgreece

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with a detailed review of your stay with us. It is disappointing that your pre-arrival experience was not a smooth one. Unfortunately, changes to reservations made through a third party site need to be processed by the booking site and limit the tools at our disposal to assist. We apologize for the frustration. We are troubled to hear we did not live up to your expectations and hope that should you return to St.John's you would contact me directly at chris.hayden@sheratonhotelnewfoundland.com to discuss the possibility of proving us with another opportunity to show why we are the premiere hotel in town.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed for three nights in July with our small dog. The Sheraton was the only pet friendly property that offered downtown convenience. We were constantly wowed by the incredible, personal experience, the beautiful harbour views, access to downtown attractions and the hotel amenities. Pet amenities included a luxurious pet bed, bowls and food mat and a sign to hang on the door indicating whether pets were inside or out for a walk. We were welcome to walk through the lobby and into halls with our dog and there was great green space out front. We enjoyed a short walk to the sights of St Johns, free parking and wifi as well as an incredibly comfortable bed and extremely clean room. All staff were accommodating and friendly, but Amelda deserves special mention as being a dog lover and guest experience provider extraordinaire! Not only will I stay at this property again, I will seek out Sheratons any time I travel with my pet.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Newfukie

What can we say other than "thank you" for the kind words. The Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland understands that our pets are important members of the family and as such they are always welcome. Our pets should also be able to enjoy their vacation so we make sure to provide them with amenities to make them comfortable. We will pass along your comments about Imelda and make sure she is recognized for her outstanding service. Come back soon.