“Good Hotel”

Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Staff is helpful and friendly. Many of the staff have been with the hotel for years, a good indication that the hotel treats their employees well. If you stay there a couple of times it doesn't take long for the staff to recognize you. Most rooms have a nice view of the harbor. Most places in St. John's are within walking distance of the hotel (I walked to signal hill quite easily on sidewalks and paths the entire way). Taxis are available outside and are usually waiting. If not, there is a direct taxi telephone in the lobby. Be sure to ask for one with a credit card reader if that is important to you (most have, but some are not very happy to use).

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank John_Civil_Engineer
Chris H, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland. Our wonderful downtown location sitting beside historic Signal Hill is definitely something we are very fortunate to have. With that said, our associates are definitely the main attraction and keep our loyal guests coming back year after year. We appreciate your kind words and look forward to your return.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I really like the decor of the rooms, they are very crisp and clean looking and the beds are extremely comfortable. The staff seem nice, except for a waiter in the Bivver resaurant but I will mention that in my review of that restaurant.

I was there for a conference and stayed two nights, the second day I put a notice on the handle letting the cleaning staff know I didn't need and services that day. The paper said that I would receive a $5 food voucher or points....there was no mention of this on check out and I forgot to ask.

Also, I was taking nap that day and I heard a knock on a door and someone saing "house keeping" and because I had the notice on the door I assumed the knock must have been next door of something. Next thing I know I here someone in my room saying hello. I got up to talk to the woman and she said I saw your sign on the door but I just wanted to see if you needed anything, which I told her know. I put the privacy please sign up after that.

Some issues I have with the hotel is the tv, it is sooooo annoying trying to change the channels! They change so slowly and you have to be pretty close to change channels (can't do it from the bed). And something outragous is the fact that they charge $1 per local call! Crazy! Most motels....let alone expensive hotels have complimentary local calling.

And it is not advertised very clearly, it is in small font on one of the pieces of paper on the desk. My friend who was also attending the conference didn't notice. I am sure they get a nice few dollars from unsuspecting guests this way.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your stay. We have implemented our "Make a Green Choice" program as we strive to be an industry leader in areas such as environmental stewardship and conservation. When you opt into this program we do not provide a full service cleaning of your room but we do enter in order to restock depleted amenities and remove your garbage and this is why our Room Attendant would have entered your room. In order to prevent this in the future we suggest hanging your "Privacy Please" sign on your doorknob. I apologize for the confusion in regards to your SPG bonus points or $5 food credit upon check out and would like to rectify that issue for you. I can be reached at chris.hayden@sheratonhotelnewfoundland.com. Your comments regarding the service in bivver and the issues with the television have been passed along to the appropriate departments. Again, we apologize for the frustration and appreciate your feedback. We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Newfoundland because of a great corporate rate. The hotel is well appointed and I believe the best bed I have ever slept in for a hotel. My back issues make it difficult to get a good night's sleep but I had no problems here. The staff were exceptionally friendly (as Newfies are). They never failed to find a newspaper even when they were all gone. I cannot remember all the names but a special hello to Linda, the lady at the door. We loved our morning chit chats.
Thank you so much to Mildred of housekeeping (room 516). She looked after our room. Often, we would return from breakfast and she was finished.
The hotel was very clean too.
When we make a return to St. John's, we plan to stay here again.
We did not use the pool or spa but it looked really clean and adequate. Situated well in the hotel too.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with a harbour view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

We are also glad you chose to stay here. How can you not get a fantastic night sleep on our famous Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds? If you would like information on where they can be purchased please do not hesitate to contact me. Linda was delighted to see her name mentioned in your review and told me she also enjoyed seeing you each morning. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed in St. Johns recently, April 2-5th for business, Rm 132. Our room was nice, the service was good and the food was great....BUT ....there was a confrence at the hotel which resulted in NO PARKING ....anywhere.

This was extremely frustrating, on the first night we actually had to take a taxi because we would have lost our parking spot, and all parking spaces (on the road) next to the hotel were full as well.

While I was at meetings the next day my wife/vehicle was trapped in the parking lot by a cargo van parked directly behind us. Again, she had to alter her plans for the day and take ANOTHER series of taxis to go shopping.

Our meetings finished early the next day, so I finally decided to move my truck and go exploring in the great city of St. John's. We arrived back at the hotel around 11:30pm to settle in for the night. After circling the parking lot several times, again frustrated by the parking problem I decided to park in front of the hotel , go inside and ask the desk what other options were avaliable. There are aprox 8 reserved places for taxis directly in front of the building, I parked in the one furthest away from the main door and with only 2 taxis waiting ...there was plenty of space avaliable and I was not blocking/impeding anyone.......this is where my experince went south.

A taxi driver, contracted by Shearton, jumped out of his car and started cursing at me...I could not belive what was happening and was shocked. My wife tried to explain we were just going in to check and see where we could park....he was rude, ignorant and abrasive to her.

I really didnt appreciate being verbally abused by some taxi driver...and expecially did not like the way he spoke to my wife......at all.

I mentioned this to the desk person as I went in to look for a place to park, she chuckled and said "tell me about it". That wasnt quite the response I was looking for. The next day I mentioned the altercation to the desk and the clerk said she would check into it for me...but there was no call to the room or mention of it on check out.

We enjoyed the hotel, the atmosphere but not our experince. I realise that taxi drivers are not direct employees of the hotel, however, if you are allowing them to park there, they represent you and the Sheraton. If I sub-conctract out work to another firm, they represent me and I would be held liable for their actions, behaviors and work.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Abe20142014
Chris H, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear CamS439,
I would like to offer you my sincerest apologies for the terrible incident which both you and your wife were subjected to. Please rest assured that this type of experience is neither commonplace nor acceptable. We have followed up on the incident with the cab company involved as well as the staff who received your complaint in order to ensure this situation never arises again. I would like the opportunity to speak to you about your stay but have been unable to locate a telephone number by which to contact you. If you would be so kind as to contact me directly at chris.hayden@sheratonhotelnewfoundland.com it would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

The harbor view rooms are spectacular! Snow, rain, sunshine...it was all wonderful. The hotel is typically Sheraton, but the placement in Downtown St. John's makes for easy access to great shopping and restaurants. Prepare for hill climbing if you walk, but it is worth it to explore the historic buildings along the harbor. Staff at the hotel friendly, outgoing and eager to assist. Rooms are clean, beds comfy.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank NeophyteHiker

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with thoughts about your stay. We are indeed very lucky to have such a great location in the middle of all of the action of downtown St.John's. With a name like NeophiteHiker we really hope you have a chance to return to Newfoundland and hike historic Signal Hill (right next door to the hotel) and the amazing East Coast Trail. When you decide to come back we will have a room for you.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

I have been fortunate to stay at this hotel a couple of times and they have always been most pleasant. The most outstanding feature of the hotel is the view - it is totally worth it to pay to be on the harbour side so that you have a view of the Narrows. Unbelievably beautiful! In addition, the staff at the hotel are very friendly and very accommodating.

Room Tip: a high floor with a view of the Narrows (entrance to the harbour) is ideal
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank GM-HIEKelowna

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with such a glowing review. We make a point of encouraging all of our guests to experience the amazing views of the historic St.John's Narrows as there is no better view in the city. It sounds like you agree. Yet, no matter how wonderful the scenery, it is the service and warmth of our associates that cause our guests to return time after time. We are glad that you enjoyed your conference and cannot wait until the the next time we have the privilege of welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights due to our flights beign delayed due to weather. The rooms we avergae nothing great. We ate at the bar and the resturant both were really good. The staff was great not only complaint was being charged for calling 800 numbers and making local calls to check on flights ect.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sonia7647

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your stay. We have passed along your wonderful comments about the restaurant and bar to our food and beverage team. We hope the next stay is under better circumstances and we can provide you with an enjoyable experience.