“Beautiful Location and Building at a Cost”

Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in St. John's
Edmonton, Canada
“Beautiful Location and Building at a Cost”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Sheraton St John's is a prime location. Views of the habor and great walking access to the heart of downtown. The Concierege is helpful and want to make sure you enjoy your experience, however the the rest of the service was at par and for a quality hotel with high prices. I expected more. I had more service offered at an economy hotel I stayed at the next day. I really did enjoy the hotel, the views and my expereince in St John's but for the money I spent, I was not impressed by the service and at times when organizing the boardroom event felt I was an inconvience to the staff.

Room Tip: Get a habour view room and get a nice breakfast outside the hotel at the cafe kitty corner from the...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Chris H, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We were glad to read that you enjoyed our spectacular harbour views and the convenience of our central location. We were, however, concerned with your comments regarding the service you received and the feeling that created. Rest assured I have passed these comments along to the appropriate departmental managers as this is neither commonplace nor acceptable. When you stay at the Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland there is no request that is too big or too small; we are at your service. I apologize that you did not experience this kind of service and invite you to contact me personally so I can address our shortcomings. My email address is chris.hayden@sheratonhotelnewfoundland.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Toronto
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Rooms are slightly larger than normal Sheraton (former Fairmont property). The staff in the hotel go out of their way to help you and is one of the best hotel's in terms of service. Very expensive shops and food & beverage in the hotel so go out. At the far end of all tourism and city sites so be prepared for a 20 - 30 minute walk.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
We appreciate you sharing your thoughts on your stay with us as the Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your Guestroom and were able to experience the wonderful service our staff have become known for. We are disappointed that you found our food and beverage offerings expensive as our Executive Chef and Restaurant Managers have made a concientious decision to have our offerings at par (and often times lower) than other popular restaurants in the downtown area. If you would like to discuss your stay further I would love to hear from you; I can be reached at chris.hayden@sheratonhotelnewfoundland.com
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

We were pleasantly surprised with the beautiful view of the harbor from our room.The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The hotel restaurant had wonderful food and the staff gave excellent service.Everyone at the hotel was very friendly. The location was perfect for shops and restaurants.i would definitely stay here again!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Chris H, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at the Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland. Even though our location and views are spectacular it is the service provided by our staff that we have become known for. We hope that your memories of this stay will lead you back to visit us once again.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Classy address gives a hint of the type of place this is: elegant. Ask for harbor view. It is worth it. We could see the harbor entrance and inner harbor and were high enough to avoid noise. Wonderful beds. Nice bathroom but the toilets almost always require two flushes. Very nice bellman brought us to our room and was our friend and advisor throughout the stay. He could be a tour guide! When we tried to extend our stay by one night (a Friday) we were blocked and moved down to Hill o Chips (Quality Hotel).

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
We would like to thank you for the wonderful comments. It is always a treat to hear from our Guests about the magnificent view of The Narrows they get to enjoy from our Guestrooms. Our Porter team are true ambassadors for the hotel and our city as they know all of the must see sights and restaurants no matter how obscure or hidden they may seem. We look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you back to St.John's.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Just returned back from a four night business trip and my first visit to Canada. The Sheraton is an ideal choice to use as a base for sightseeing around St John's. The best thing about the hotel for me was the bed, possibly the most comfortably I have ever experienced in a hotel - I looked forward to relaxing in it while working on my laptop. Staying at the hotel can be expensive ($159 per night) but the quality of the room and food reflect that. Only three small negatives. One being the decor, dark and uninviting but this is just my personal opinion. The second is no fridge, but actually it was not a problem as I had an ice bucket. And the last, the view I had, faced away from the harbour.
Another reviewer mentioned noise and thin walls. This is a problem as there can be loads of banging of doors and people talking but it really did not spoil my stay.
With this being my first visit to Canada it was lovely to experience how friendly the St John's locals were and the staff at the hotel were also very friendly too.
All in all I would have no hesitance in recommending this hotel to our colleagues for their St John's stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the harbour. Don't take an odd numbered room in the 30s as they face a bla...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank AberdeenMum
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay with us. We receive numerous comments about the comfort of our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds and are glad to hear they were a highlight of your stay. I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you encountered and have passed along your comments to the appropriate departments. I think you will be happy to know that we are currently in the process of renovating a number of our Guestrooms and are constantly adding more refridgerators to our current stock which are available upon request. We hope to see you again in the near future.
Syracuse, Italy
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The property is in an excellent location and has had major upgrades in recent years. However, we paid a premium rate to stay on the club floor. The bedroom was ackward and our bed was poor. The room we had on the 6th floor at the end of the hall must have been an older unit.

The clubroom has free wings and breakfast, it was great and the view was spectacular. I would recommend staying there just for this feature.

Room Tip: The units on the 7th floor are apparently better as are some of them on the 6th. New bedding is a m...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Chris H, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast and hors d'oeuvre offerings on the Club floor... and how could you not love that view? As you mentioned, we have renovated a large number of our Guestrooms and we are still in the process of updating the remainder. We receive numerous compliments regarding our beds so it is concerning to me that you did not share that experience; for that I would like to apologize. I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you personally regarding your stay if you should so desire. I can be reached at chris.hayden@sheratonhotelnewfoundland.com
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay in St. John's and at the Sheraton. The beds and bedding are super comfortable. The food in the dining room was delicious. Would like to express special Thanks to Walter who works in the dining room, he went out of his way to help us out when we had a problem.(unrelated to dining) Great location too. Warm pool was nice for a swim.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
We could not agree with you more about the comfort of our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds... they are incredible. We will also pass along your wonderful comments about the food you experienced (and Walter) to our Food and Beveragement management team. We look forward to seeing you again soon.