“Clean and Modern in St. John's”

Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in St. John's
Edmonton, Canada
“Clean and Modern in St. John's”
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Stayed at the Sheraton attending a conference and I was not disappointed. It was very clean, modern and contained the atmosphere that I was looking for. The rooms were updated and comfortable. The staff was friendly and I got to know them well throughout the stay. The fitness facility was very well appointed and had everything you need to stay in shape. The change rooms could use updating and were a bit dirty. I had a good view of Signal Hill and the harbour and the location itself was pretty good. Easy drive to the airport. It had a lot of free parking, which was really nice, but it outside though and not underground. All in all, the Sheraton at St.John's was a really nice stay and I'd stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Chris H, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Dear David P,

We would like to thank you for the kind compliments.It was a pleasure to learn that you had an enjoyable experience with us at the Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland. We are happy to hear you had the opportunity to make use of our fitness facility and complimentary parking. Thank you for your feedback regarding the change rooms, it will be passed along to our Recreation and Housekeeping departments for follow up. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to St.John's.

Chris Hayden
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Celtic
Reviewed May 26, 2012

There is a team spirit at this hotel with the staff generally working together to make the guests comfortable. There appeared to have been some effective staff development since our last visit with more interest in whether our stay was going well.

High quality service is apparent from arrival at the car park, concierge, reception, housekeeping, leisure centre, breakfast. The hotel demonstrates that personal service can be offered by a hotel that is part of a large chain.

One drawback is that the wall mounted heaters/air-conditioning units, even in the modernised rooms, are high maintenance and noisy.

Room Tip: Be quietly assertive about asking for a room to suit your needs
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear discerning_visitor55,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your stay with us here at the Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland. I sincerely apologize for any discomfort or inconvenience you experienced due to our heating and air conditioning system. I will make sure to pass along your comments to our Engineering Manager.

I was happy to hear that you were able to experience the high level of service that our associates have become known for. They take great pride in representing our city, province and hotel to the visitors of the world and will be thrilled to hear your feedback.

Chris Hayden
Front Office Manager
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed May 14, 2012

I stayed at the Sheraton for one night after the airport closed due to fog. Westjet paid for the room (another reason to fly with them), so I'm not sure of the rack rate, but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the hotel. I had a room on the second floor with a view of the harbour. It was pretty quiet, although there was a bit of hallway noise. The room had all the amenities for a business traveller. We had dinner in the restaurant which was a bit expensive, but the steak I had was very good and the restaurant also has an expansive view of the harbour. There is a good coffee shop across the street as well as a little diner on the other side of the hotel with a good "bacon & eggs" breakfast. It's a bit of a hike to walk into downtown St. John's (maybe 15-20 minutes?), but otherwise, this is a good bet for accomodation in St. John's. It can get booked up, so I would book early!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Chris H, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us despite the circumstances surrounding your visit. Hopefully the next time we welcome you back it will be a beautiful sunny day and you can enjoy the spectacular views from both our restaurant and Guestrooms. We will make sure to pass along your feedback regarding your dining experience with our Food and Beverage management team. We thank you for your comments and look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you to St.John's.
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed May 14, 2012

I really have no complaints. I was there as part of a meeting and hospitality very good. People very friendly (as they tend to be in St. John's!) and a nice view of the Harbour and Signal Hill.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Chris H, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this review, May 31, 2012
Thank you for visiting the Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland during your business trip to St.John's. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our stunning views of Signal Hill and St.John's harbour but even moreso that you got to experience the hospitality and friendliness that our staff have become known for. We look forward to seeing you again when you return to our beautiful city.
Bauline
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Had a great experience there a couple of years ago when my husband and I stayed for the valentine's day special of a room,dinner and a rose/wine.Loved it
Easter brunch this year in the ballroom was fantastic.The food was to die for!!!Went with extended family and we all sat at a big round table together.

Room Tip: Love the corner rooms with the big round windows,get the rooms facing the Harbour!!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
We are delighted to hear that your Valentine's Day experience at the Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland was a memorable one as those are the type of memories we strive to create for our Guests. The fact that you chose us to share in the celebration of Easter with your family and that the food prepared by our talented kitchen team was truly enjoyed is great to hear. We will pass along your comments to our team and look forward to welcoming you back for your next special occasion.
Aurora, Canada
Reviewed May 4, 2012

This is a great place to stay in St John's. It is right downtown; and, walking distance to most things in the core of the city. The hotel is clean and well appointed. There is free wired and wireless connections in the rooms; and, the restaurant has some great food.

The only negative, was the reception on the wireless room phone. I tried it for a couple of days; and, then just used my cell phone to speak to my wife. I was staying here for business; but, I did get a chance to see the sights which don't seem to come alive until Thursday, Friday & Saturday. A great hotel overall. The people and food are awesome (try to find an iceberg if you go at the right time of year. We saw one at Quidi Vidi Village).

Room Tip: I had a room on the 2nd floor facing the bay. I had a porthole window which added some character...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
LDelurey, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us during your recent business trip to St.John's. Our food and beverage team will be thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience in our restaurant. We sincerely appreciate your feedback regarding the in room cordless telephone and apologize for the inconvenience during your stay. We have passed along your comments to our team to ensure all telephones are tested prior to a Guest arrival. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland in the near future.
Cold Lake, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2012

I would like to say that this was the best place I have ever stayed on any of my travels away from home. All the staff did everything they could to make me feel at home and they accomplished it. Thanks to Tina and Kim for allowing me to stay here for free as I start my run and to David especially for helping me make everything happen. Thanks to the bar staff Ray and Darlene for their amazing service. You will all be missed :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo