“Nicest chain hotel in St. John's” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland

Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in St. John's
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Nicest chain hotel in St. John's”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

For those who like chain hotels, this is probably the nicest one you can pick in St. John's. Sitting atop a hill, it has excellent views of the harbor. Easy walking distance to many downtown restaurants and pubs. Front desk staff are very nice and helpful. Some of the rooms are on the smallish size, especially for the premium price you'll pay, but they are all comfortable. Had a difficult time keeping a stable high speed Internet connection, both wired and wireless -- it would drop for no apparent reason and then come back a minute later -- so forget about any VoIP or video conferencing with colleagues or loved ones.

Room Tip: Views facing the water from a high floor are lovely.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LDelurey, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Thank you very much for posting your review. Thank you as well for recommending our hotel. We are certainly very thankful for your willingness to share your experience. We are happy to know you found the location to be convenient and enjoyed the view, those are very important features. As well, it's very pleasing to know you found our Front Desk staff to be friendly and helpful, I will pass along your kind comments. Our regular rooms are standard size and competively priced. We do have Deluxe corner rooms and Junior suites that are larger in size and priced accordingly. I am disappointed to know you experienced issues with internet connection. I will forward your comments along to our IT department to get them to investigate. Again, thanks so much for taking the time to wirte. We look forward to having you as our guest again, soon. Laura Delurey, Guest Services Supervisor.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Vaughan, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2011

I was attending a conference for the Canadian Federation of University Women. About 200 were registered and most stayed at this hotel except the St. John's club people. The hotel staff always had great snacks and lunches for us and right on time too. The restaurant in the hotel itself served marvellous seafood. I ate there on the night before the confeence started since I was going on a couple of tours ahead of time. One night, my laptop could not connest to the wi-fi there. I took it down to the front desk and one of the young people there fixed the problem so I could communicate with my family back in Ontario. The staff were all so friendly and helpful, it was a almost a shock to my system.
I would definitely go back. I stayed on a floor with a breakfast club room (which came with my room rate). There was fresh fruit, yogurt, buns and croissants, some sort of egg dish, cereals, juice, coffee and tea - all to serve yourself. The view over the harbour from the windows in this room were spectacular too!

Room Tip: If you have a Sheraton card, you can book better rooms and club room breakfasts are included.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

We stayed 3 nights and found the hotel, rooms and restaurants to be of the standard high quality of a Sheraton hotel. Those beds always make me want to come back. Beautiful location and view and short walk into town. Staff very helpfu when we stayed.

Few problems when booking the hotel or calling guest services while staying at the hotel - staying on hold for over 10 minutes several times and getting disconnected once when asking about reserving a room. Perhaps lack of staff but this definitely needs improvement.

Room Tip: Go for the Harbor view room - amazing view of Signal Hill
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
LDelurey, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this review, September 5, 2011
Thank you for your review and for choosing Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland for your recent stay. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed so many great things about our hotel including our Sweet Sleeper Beds. They are wonderful and indeed very comfortable. As well nice to read your feedback regarding our staff, delighted to know you found them to be helpful and accomodating. However I am sorry for the issue you experienced when making your reservation. I know we were experiencing some technical issues but have rectified the problem. I will address your concern with calling Guest Services and being on hold. I sincerely aplologize for this. I welcome an opportunity to discuss further, please don't hesitate to contact me. laura.delurey@sheratonhotelnewfoundland.com
Kitchener, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2011

The Sheraton is in a great location at one end of the downtown - you can still walk to everything and we enjoyed the walks every day. Cozy comfortable beds and nice room.
Ask for a Harbourview room. Great fitness center with good equipment for working out as well as nice indoor pool and hot tub. Free internet stations in lobby was very much appreciated. Friendly and accommodating staff. Check out the photographers studio in the lobby - great framed photos of Newfoundland and he will ship anywhere.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for this great review. We are very happy to know that your experience with us was enjoyable and that you found our hotel, services and amenties to meet your needs and expectations. As well, happy to know you found our staff to be friendly and accomodating. Your kind comments will be shared. The Photo Sudio in our hotel is a great addition and certainly do offer a wonderful pictures which promotes our fine province and city. Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay and look forward to wecoming you back soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

Stayed at the Sheraton Hotel in St. John's, NL from Aug. 15th to Aug 22nd, 2011. This is our 2nd stay here. They go 'above and beyond' to accommodate you in whichever way you need it. (Imelda) at the door is amazing, as she will help you for just about every question you could have about St. John's (touring, restaurant, site seeing,) etc., She will never let you down. The girl in the evening is exactly the same....very helpful with any info required about the area. Rooms were great, and beds are sooo comfortable. Had an awesome view of St. John's Harbour!! Would recommend anyone staying here and could not say a negative thing about it! You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: If you are not happy with your room, see the front desk and they will accommodate you!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

Good location a few minutes from downtown. I liked the free parking and wifi. We were lucky to be assigned to a renovated room overlooking the harbour. We tried to check in at 2:35 but was told by the front desk staff that our room was not ready. When I asked to be assigned to any other available room, I was told here were none. I found that hard to believe. I returned at 4:30 and checked in at that time when I was told that one of the two rooms under my name still wasn't ready. I was not impressed. The hot tub was broken for most of our stay; when it was up and running, the temperature was too hot at 39 degrees! We got a great rate at this hotel but would not have otherwise stayed there.

• Stayed August 2011
      Location
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Your feedback is very important to us and we certainly appreciate when guests let us know how they preceive our hotel and staff. We are happy to know due to several points you made that there were many positive things regarding our property. I am sorry that your check in did not go smooth and the hot tub was not working properly. I recognize this was big disappointment for you and sincerely apologize for this experience. I welcome an opportunity to discuss with you if you would like to contact me at ---------------------------------
Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

When I walked into the room, I said "wow". They are very spacious and nicely decorated. A beautiful view of the harbor and a large flat screen TV were also included. It's not the cheapest hotel in town, but it is a very nice one. I only stayed one night so I didn't get to try the bar or restaurant, but a lot of other patrons were doing just that.

It's only about 15 minutes to the airport from the Sheraton.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business