See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 8, 2006

We stayed at the Captain's Quarters for 4 nights in 2005.
It was our first trip to St. John's. We had no real complaints about the hotel, but at the same time I'd warn people not to expect a 4 star hotel experience. The rooms were clean and the staff was pleasant and helpful. I'd compare the rooms and accommodations to a well kept Motel 6 or Super 8 here in the states- well worth it for the budget conscious traveler and perfect for our needs, but possibly not for people who are expecting a lot of added amenities.
The hotel is located on the edge of the downtown area and within walking distance to George Street and the other downtown attractions, as well as Signal Hill. The staff was helpful offering suggestions on how to get around and the bar downstairs was pleasant. We were a bit concerned when we checked in because of the bar location, but even with a bar on the main floor, the rooms were relatively quiet.
The only thing the hotel didn't have that might have been nice was screens on the windows and perhaps a second fan--we were there on an unusually hot week for Newfoundland and while we weren't in the room much during the day, at night we had to have a fan running in the window and since it didn't have a screen, we did get a number of moths entering the room.
Overall it was a pleasant experience and we plan on staying there again on our trip to Newfoundland this year.
We checked out other hotels in the city on our 2005 trip and while some of the other added amenities would be nice, no other hotel could beat the Captain’s Quarters combination of price and location.

• Stayed: August 2005
7  Thank johnbuk
Reviewed September 10, 2005

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times the latest was August 2004. Each time I have found the staff friendly and helpful and the breakfast always good. I have had the suites twice and a room once. each place was very comfortable and clean. Closets and amenities are just right.
I found the location close to everywhere I needed to go, without the busy ness of downtown. I could walk to a small market nearby.

Each time I visit St John's I intend to stay at the Captains Quarters.

• Stayed: September 2000
4  Thank Explorer2227
Reviewed July 18, 2005

We needed a cheap place to stay for one night and the cab driver from the airport took us here. The staff was pleasant and our room was clean but it smelled like cigarette smoke. The decor looked like it was 1970. It was $105 for the room for the night after tax...definitely not worth it.

• Stayed: July 2005
7  Thank Roam12620
Reviewed March 14, 2005

April, 2000. I needed a cheap place to stay on short notice late at night before a move and while many were booked up or too expensive, there was the Captain's Quarters. I've heard stories about this place before, but I thought how bad could it be? The Newfoundland tourism guide gives it 2 stars, but I'm not very demanding. I walked in, tired from a long day and were greeted with a swath of smoke from the open door to the in-house bar where we could watch some old gambling addicts throw away their life's savings into the VLT's as their posteriors became permanent fixtures with the stools. A tall, slender, darkhaired fellowed who appeared to have been drinking asked if he could help me. I needed a room. He pulled out a dusty handwritten book and took my name. I wanted to know the price and he told me $50. He was a bit shifty when it came to the price and I couldn't figure out why at the time, but I heard $50 and that was fine by me. I offered to pay right then but he said no, you pay in the morning since it was after standard office hours.

The Captain's Quarters is a couple of neo-classical style houses from the mid-1800's. It's kept in the same style and they say it has been recently been restored but it seems that the restoration is a continuously ongoing process as there were ladders and cloths down from workers who had long left for the day. The door is old style as are the locks. The ceilings are high and have paint peeling off of them and the floors were littered with paint chips and dust and some insects scurried about. My room didn't have a washroom; I had to use a public one down the hall. The TV was a relic from the 70's complete with a rotary knob, but on the plus side, it had a cable converter box from the 80's on it which had a remote control. The room was of decent size though. It was too late and I was too tired to go out and find somewhere else. At that point all I cared about was a bed to sleep on, which I had and slept I did.

The next morning I promptly checked out. An older fellow was there this time. I did need a place to stay for the remainder of the week but I had decided it wasn't going to be there, even if I had to pay $130 and stay at the Hotel Newfoundland. I had $60 in my hand ready to give to the man when he told me the price was $75. Wait a minute, I was told $50 last night. He asked me who told me that, and I gave a description of the guy who was working last night, and he just told me no, that I was mistaken, the price is $75 + HST. I didn't have any choice; I shelled out the extra dough and I definitely wasn't staying there another night. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise as this lead me to stay at the Abba Inn, where I stayed for $40 (off season rate) and got a great free breakfast every morning by two friendly hosts, free internet use, and the room was tops.

I would NOT recommend the Captains' Quarters to anyone ever. I'd rather sleep in my car in the Avalon Mall parking lot than stay there for free.

• Stayed: April 2000
32  Thank vo1one
Reviewed September 13, 2004

best place in st.john's to stay close to everything stayed for a week in 2004 they even did our laundry really friendly staff and so helpful love that place and people

3  Thank Roam11864